rear spring cut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
anybody ever cut two coils off the rear springs and then have them pop out when hitting a bump?

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not me, your the first I have heard of, you over achiever. Stock shocks?

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it wasn't me. I asked in another forum about doing this and somebody said that they would pop out . I've never heard of that happening so I figured I'd ask where there are more people to chime in

tuned by Jay Greene

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I've got 4" drop springs with another 2 coils cut out and the springs can't fall out unless the shocks are removed. If you are running cut drop springs like me with stock length shocks then maybe the springs could drop out on full extension, but if you're running that low then you should be running proper length shocks anyways.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm just going to cut 1.5 coils. only thing I'm worried about is the rear end moving but I have clamps on it now and I don't see any issues but it's only about an inch

tuned by Jay Greene

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got 4" drop springs with another 2 coils cut out and the springs can't fall out unless the shocks are removed. If you are running cut drop springs like me with stock length shocks then maybe the springs could drop out on full extension, but if you're running that low then you should be running proper length shocks anyways.

any pics of the truck with that much coil cut?

I just installed belltech 2/4 and I cut 1/2 coil off the front, and 1 coil off the rear, and my rear isnt low enough, its got a rake, so I need to cut more off the rear.

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just installed belltech 2/4 and I cut 1/2 coil off the front, and 1 coil off the rear, and my rear isnt low enough, its got a rake, so I need to cut more off the rear.

may want to keep a little rake, I'm sure you have very little suspension travel at that drop.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

This is on a 4wd so the front doesn't come down as much with the strut so the front is a 4.5" drop and the rear is 6.5". I've got about 1.5" of clearance between the tire and inner fender.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 112

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its too raked for me,
I was thinking of I modify the rear bump stops, I could lower it more and still have some suspension travel

ramwithwheels2.JPG

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anybody ever cut two coils off the rear springs and then have them pop out when hitting a bump?

I cut em on my old 09 before there was an available rear drop spring and had no issues what so ever. I had em cut at a machine shop. This time around i bought the mcgaughy 2 inch drop rears for my 14cc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Its too raked for me,
I was thinking of I modify the rear bump stops, I could lower it more and still have some suspension travel

You need to cut out the bumpstop cup completely if you want suspension travel. The next place it will hit after the bumpstop cups are gone is the lower control arm on the upper arm's frame mount but you will have about 4" of compression before that happens at a 4/6 drop and then you should seriously be thinking about redoing your axle mounts to realign the rear control arms.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
so how many coils equal an inch?

tuned by Jay Greene

It depends on what springs you have. On the rear progressive McGaughy's it's one full coil per inch since you cut from the top of the coil where it's wound tightest and only acts as a spacer since there's no compression in that area.

Uaintlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to cut out the bumpstop cup completely if you want suspension travel. The next place it will hit after the bumpstop cups are gone is the lower control arm on the upper arm's frame mount but you will have about 4" of compression before that happens at a 4/6 drop and then you should seriously be thinking about redoing your axle mounts to realign the rear control arms.

thanks for the info,
I plan to cut out the rear bump stop cups on Saturday

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
this may catch me some flak but why do people cut springs instead of getting a proper set up???

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
this may catch me some flak but why do people cut springs instead of getting a proper set up???

Nobody makes a 6" rear drop spring and some people can't afford a drop kit. Also, a 2" drop spring doesn't have a better spring rate compared to a cut stock spring so there's not much gained except ease of installation.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut mine last year. Ive never had a problem. You may however run into a problem with the coils popping out if you raise the truck up on a lift if you don't use shorter shocks.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I cut 1 coil off mine and got an 1"

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nobody makes a 6" rear drop spring and some people can't afford a drop kit. Also, a 2" drop spring doesn't have a better spring rate compared to a cut stock spring so there's not much gained except ease of installation.

What is the cut rate on stock springs to get a 1" drop? I plan on getting a lowering kit later but want to take some of the stinkbug out of the rear for now. If you know the front also I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Disregard, I did some searching and found the info. Sorry to bother you. Looks like 1 coil in the rear is 1" approximately and 1 and a half coil is about 2". I am not going to mess with the front. This is a temporary thing since I will be getting a 2/4 kit when I order new wheels and tires for the Ram.

Last edited: