Shaking side to side at high speeds after drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So like the title says, this weekend I installed some belltech 4" drop springs and bumps tops on my ram leaving the stock shocks. I did do the sway bar adapter too. So tonight going about 85 - 90 I switched lanes and I almost lost control of the truck. It kept going side to side really bad. Had to brake to get it back to control. Any thoughts?

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you get an adjustable track bar?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I would get the track bar re-alignment thing from Belltech if you don't have that already. Second upgrade and probably the best would be a rear swaybar from Hellwig. That's supposed to really help with the problem. I'm sure a few other things like adjustable track bar and better shocks would probably help too, but for sure Hellwig swaybar. If you search this topic you will see plenty of replies about the problem and fixes.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I would get the track bar re-alignment thing from Belltech if you don't have that already. Second upgrade and probably the best would be a rear swaybar from Hellwig. That's supposed to really help with the problem. I'm sure a few other things like adjustable track bar and better shocks would probably help too, but for sure Hellwig swaybar. If you search this topic you will see plenty of replies about the problem and fixes.

I second this. I have not experienced this but from what I have heard adding a rear hellwig sway bar makes a BIG difference on that. Maybe consider getting an adjustable panhard and the hellwig sway bar.

Definitely sounds pretty damn scary....

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So like the title says, this weekend I installed some belltech 4" drop springs and bumps tops on my ram leaving the stock shocks. I did do the sway bar adapter too. So tonight going about 85 - 90 I switched lanes and I almost lost control of the truck. It kept going side to side really bad. Had to brake to get it back to control. Any thoughts?

did you crank the steering wheel hard or was it a gradual lane change?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
+1 for the hellwig bar. If you haven't already, get an alignment from a good shop.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Purchased a Hellwig Sway Bar, fixed my issue. Those Hellwig Shocks are too soft. After the holidays, I am purchasing some QA1 shocks and a better drive shaft. You may also want to look at upgrading your rear control arms.

Miklo84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck used to shake, I had stock ride hight on 2015 rt with 24” rims, when I lowered my truck, the vibes at 55-65 went away, no issues since.D0157B4E-ECB5-4A95-A66B-E851FD42A570.jpeg

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This problem "80mph rear death wobble" is due to your rear control arms being pulled upward and not being level also because the rear pinion angle being off due to the four inch rear drop. To solve the problem you will need to install a rear axle relocation kit from IHC. They have a relocation kit that does not require any cutting, this is good for up to a five inch rear drop. They also have another relocation kit that does require cutting that is good up to a seven inch drop. Here are the link to check them out. Here is a pic of my Ram with the "cut kit" installed and a five inch rear drop. Once cool thing about these relocation kits is they will also recenter your rear axle after the drop, if you look at your rear axle now you will see it is pulled forward about an inch. If your have questions about this or lowering your Ram please PM me anytime.

IMG_0589(2).jpg

No cut kit.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocation-brackets-no-cut-kit

No Cut.jpg

Cut kit.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocations-brackets-cutting-required

46dropramreg6.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This problem "80mph rear death wobble" is due to your rear control arms being pulled upward and not being level also because the rear pinion angle being off due to the four inch rear drop. To solve the problem you will need to install a rear axle relocation kit from IHC. They have a relocation kit that does not require any cutting, this is good for up to a five inch rear drop. They also have another relocation kit that does require cutting that is good up to a seven inch drop. Here are the link to check them out. Here is a pic of my Ram with the "cut kit" installed and a five inch rear drop. Once cool thing about these relocation kits is they will also recenter your rear axle after the drop, if you look at your rear axle now you will see it is pulled forward about an inch. If your have questions about this or lowering your Ram please PM me anytime.

View attachment 193003

No cut kit.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocation-brackets-no-cut-kit

View attachment 193004

Cut kit.

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocations-brackets-cutting-required

View attachment 193005

Man that ocean salt in the air is rough on the bottom side,or is the truck originally from somewhere they use salt on the roads?

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Man that ocean salt in the air is rough on the bottom side,or is the truck originally from somewhere they use salt on the roads?

Who knows, was just a Ram with this kit installed that I found online.