Shock Difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey Guys

I know the difference between the 964SP and 964ND is the shocks (nitro vs performance) but has anyone actually done a side by side to see if they feel any different? I ask because I'd rather say the $60-ish now and put that towards QA-1, Bistein, or Fox shocks in the future.

Also, I'm lowering lowering my truck for looks and I am aware it will not ride like a Cadillac, but I also don't want too rough of a ride, so if the Nitro shocks are spongier, I'm ok with it...lol

Thanks for any input! :happy107:

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I will give you my honest advice. Buy the kit without any shocks and purchase the QA!'s for the rear only and reuse the factory front shocks for now. Then later on add the front shocks. Reason why I say this is because the rear shocks are a PITA.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will give you my honest advice. Buy the kit without any shocks and purchase the QA!'s for the rear only and reuse the factory front shocks for now. Then later on add the front shocks. Reason why I say this is because the rear shocks are a PITA.

Why not just run QA1's all around now? Why wait to do the fronts? (assuming $$ is not an issue).

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Why not just run QA1's all around now? Why wait to do the fronts? (assuming $$ is not an issue).

He said that because OP said to put money towards qa1s later. Sounds to me like money is the issue

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

He said that because OP said to put money towards qa1s later. Sounds to me like money is the issue

What he^^ said. IMO the advice I gave is the best way to do it. This will save him time and some money if he does the install himself. For me this was a learning experience and if I could go back in time this is how I would have done it.

blackhemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm running the belltech 2/4 drop springs only with factory shocks and the ride is pretty good. I'm going to upgrade shocks later aswell but for now these are good enough. It won't ride like stock but it's not that harsh either.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a few shock configurations when I had my 2/4 dropped Ram
All Belltech SP, stock front/Belltech back, all QA1s.....
My advise to OP would largely depend on the overall condition of the roads where he lives
The better roads you'll enjoy the benefits of the firmer/adjustable QA1 shocks
I had my QA1s set considerably lower than most here because of the poor condition of our frost damaged roads
The Airlift bags bumped up to 30-35lbs were enough to handle any load in the back
For me the combination of stock front and Belltech SP would have most likely worked
SP fronts seemed a little softer than stock
Hockey tournaments took us to Minneapolis- and way better roads- I could easily punched the QA1s up a few notches in firmness, without giving up any comfort- but gaining much more responsive/firmer handling

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
With Belltech currently offering a $150 rebate on their Street Performance lowering kits, it seems like a n brainer to just get hat kit, and sell the shocks if you dont want to run them.

We sell the Street Performance kit for only $479. After your $150 mail in rebate, you are only into that complete kit with shocks for $329. I would just run the Street Performance shocks, but you could always sell them as new, and put them towards your QA1's if you choose to go that route.

OP
OP
Slowpar R/T

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you all for the replys!

I think you may be onto something BlkRamRt...Part number for Rears? lol :favorites13:

I'm in Jersey 6speed4.7, so the roads suck and there is constant construction... :emotions122:

OP
OP
Slowpar R/T

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
With Belltech currently offering a $150 rebate on their Street Performance lowering kits, it seems like a n brainer to just get hat kit, and sell the shocks if you dont want to run them.

We sell the Street Performance kit for only $479. After your $150 mail in rebate, you are only into that complete kit with shocks for $329. I would just run the Street Performance shocks, but you could always sell them as new, and put them towards your QA1's if you choose to go that route.

Would I get the rebate for the "No Shocks" kit 964 too?

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you all for the replys!

I think you may be onto something BlkRamRt...Part number for Rears? lol :favorites13:

I'm in Jersey 6speed4.7, so the roads suck and there is constant construction... :emotions122:

I used the TS905's

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Agree with Matt, get the kit, sell the fronts don't even install them, and use them in the rear for now.
Retain the factory shocks in the front for a better ride.
When you can, get the QA1's and modify them for fitment, unless they started making direct bolt ons?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Of the two, IMHO the SP kits are the better choice anyway.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with Matt, get the kit, sell the fronts don't even install them, and use them in the rear for now.
Retain the factory shocks in the front for a better ride.
When you can, get the QA1's and modify them for fitment, unless they started making direct bolt ons?

I know they make a direct fit. Someone on the forum found which ones are a direct fit.. I have them in one of my post and the part # is in a few others as well. Can't remember off the top of my head though.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That sounds like a really good idea. I will probably do that myself!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I know they make a direct fit. Someone on the forum found which ones are a direct fit.. I have them in one of my post and the part # is in a few others as well. Can't remember off the top of my head though.

Ah good to know, last I saw, David had to do some mods to make his fit..or others anyway, good info!
:favorites13:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the Belltech shocks? Twin tube or Monotube? What are QA1's? I ask because I recently put Bilstein 4600 shocks on my truck and they are Monotube. I'm wondering if I would have had these with my lowering kit, I may have enjoyed it more.