Spohn Bars Install - Pinion angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am going to be installing all my suspension components this weekend (Belltech 2/4, BT rear shocks, rear sway bar, pan hard, spohn upper and lowers).

It is my understanding that you need to remove the driveshaft to get an accurate read on the pinion angle with an angle finder? Is this correct?

To anyone who has done the install for the majority of the listed suspension components, how long did it take you? A full day?

Any special tools or issues?

I am planning on recording and photographing my experience.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes just take the drive shaft off at the rear end and leave the front in the tranny so you don't lose any fluid and you can set the pinion angle last so the drive shaft won't be in the way

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on my 2016 r/t that has the same drop I am at 1 degree positive on the pinion angle.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on my 2016 r/t that has the same drop I am at 1 degree positive on the pinion angle.

Does that mean that your rear is set +1 degree greater than the tranny side?

For example if the angle off the tranny was 88 degree and your rear was 89 degree, would that be +1?

I have read and watched stuff on the pinion angle and the take away from all of it that I have gathered is, you really want to have your tranny side angle the same as the rear diff. side. So if front was 88 then rear should be 88. And it is easier to change the rear end angle (with the use of adjustable control arms) than it is to adjust the tranny angle (shimming the motor and/or tranny to change the angle?)

Is that school of thought correct?

Is there an acceptable tolerance? I think Charon said <1 degree.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know? I am doing my install this weekend and this seems to be the last thing I am not quite 100% on (though I am sure other issues will arise that I need clarification on).

Thanks!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know? I am doing my install this weekend and this seems to be the last thing I am not quite 100% on (though I am sure other issues will arise that I need clarification on).

Thanks!

This will help: How To Set Pinion Angle

Sounds like you have a fun weekend coming up!! If you lived close by I would volunteer to help...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last image in the Hot Rod Link says it all....
If the Trans is -2 then the pinion angle will be +2.

My trans ended up being 4 degrees with the truck level.. I measured that first but doesn't really matter as long as the measurement is the "opposite" of what shows on the trans..

I'm not sure how others did theirs but to make sure the axle was perp to the frame I used a digital Micrometer to measure the distance between lock nuts on the adjuster as well as center to center of bolts.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will help: How To Set Pinion Angle

Sounds like you have a fun weekend coming up!! If you lived close by I would volunteer to help...

I used to not be too far from you. I lived just north of downtown LA. Granted I did not have the truck at that time..

Yea, I am definitely nervous about this weekend....

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last image in the Hot Rod Link says it all....
If the Trans is -2 then the pinion angle will be +2.

My trans ended up being 4 degrees with the truck level.. I measured that first but doesn't really matter as long as the measurement is the "opposite" of what shows on the trans..

I'm not sure how others did theirs but to make sure the axle was perp to the frame I used a digital Micrometer to measure the distance between lock nuts on the adjuster as well as center to center of bolts.

Thanks for the info! I am keeping my fingers crossed that this weekend goes smoothly....:party36:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! I am keeping my fingers crossed that this weekend goes smoothly....[emoji14]arty36:
Its not a hard job by yourself. Better with a buddy but if you can turn a wrench you can install these. I did one at a time and made them match the stock length then adjusted from there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know in what order I should install the springs and spohn arms?

Should I install arms first? Then springs (as to not affect them on the perch, which others have said may be causing clunking sound?)

Or install springs and shocks first then the arms?

***also does anyone know the torque specs for the driveshaft bolts where they attach to the pinion?***

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know in what order I should install the springs and spohn arms?

Should I install arms first? Then springs (as to not affect them on the perch, which others have said may be causing clunking sound?)

Or install springs and shocks first then the arms?

***also does anyone know the torque specs for the driveshaft bolts where they attach to the pinion?***

Definitely the arms first.