starting my drop project soon.......parts are on order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! They are great looking shocks, and Made in Germany can't hurt either. :)

I'm sure that will be of some benefit!

Just to clarify my earlier statement on the rear shocks, I could see how some might think they are too stiff as they have a slightly more aggressive valving on them vs the standard bilstein shock; but I think these are going to be a REALLY nice addition with my more aggressive driving goals in mind:favorites13:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good choice in shocks and your attention to detail is great.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, I wasn't crazy, rear is up 1/2" both sides with the new shocks. I think this will be fine once everything settles out.......it should be just right!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good choice in shocks and your attention to detail is great.

Thanks brother, just trying a few things maybe a little different than the norm here but hopefully with equally good results more oriented to an aggressive driving style; would like to participate in some autocross events in the near future :favorites13:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks brother, just trying a few things maybe a little different than the norm here but hopefully with equally good results more oriented to an aggressive driving style; would like to participate in some autocross events in the near future :favorites13:
That sounds like fun. I'm genuinely curious if the QA-1's are that great. I know they are built well and are adjustable, but they are still a twin tube shock. A monotube shock, like your bills, are supposed to be a much better shock performance wise.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uhhhhhh, these rear bilstein 5125's are damn awesome! Without a rear swaybar the rear of my truck is a totally new (read better) handling beast.
Really impressed and surprised.

Of note, my seat o'butt meter is telling me the rear sits higher now, will take measurements when I get home to confirm ....

Wow, what a difference!

Funny that my stock rear shocks are Tokico and my stock front shocks are Hitachi......

31DE646E-C5B1-4A95-AD9B-B4D36127DB49_zpstkaran7k.jpg

E633608D-8C36-4803-AC94-DA9E5FB1D89A_zpsqchjrbgb.jpg

Truck looks badass!! :)

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like fun. I'm genuinely curious if the QA-1's are that great. I know they are built well and are adjustable, but they are still a twin tube shock. A monotube shock, like your bills, are supposed to be a much better shock performance wise.

all the research that went into getting the QA1's fitted up to our 2/4 lowered trucks; I used as my baseline numbers for compressed and extended shock lengths. From there I had to decide mono vs twin tube, then progressive vs linear vs digressive valving, then non adjustable vs single adjustable vs double adjustable.

$$ did play a role as well.

so my line of thinking was this: I wanted to start with a "best bang" for your buck shock that had tremendous performance characteristics even at the expense of some DD comfort; but nothing ridiculous.....I still have enjoy the truck when not driving aggressively.

So after alot of reading and research I chose a mono non adjustable over the QA1 single adjustable shock because I figure if I don't really get into the autocross scene that much, hell, I have a VERY nice performing shock as a by-product, but if I end up really liking autocross and then decide to take it to the next level, well then I would bypass the single adjustable all together and go straight to a dual adjustable shock, which to me is more appropriate shock for that style of driving/application.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all the research that went into getting the QA1's fitted up to our 2/4 lowered trucks; I used as my baseline numbers for compressed and extended shock lengths. From there I had to decide mono vs twin tube, then progressive vs linear vs digressive valving, then non adjustable vs single adjustable vs double adjustable.

$$ did play a role as well.

so my line of thinking was this: I wanted to start with a "best bang" for your buck shock that had tremendous performance characteristics even at the expense of some DD comfort; but nothing ridiculous.....I still have enjoy the truck when not driving aggressively.

So after alot of reading and research I chose a mono non adjustable over the QA1 single adjustable shock because I figure if I don't really get into the autocross scene that much, hell, I have a VERY nice performing shock as a by-product, but if I end up really liking autocross and then decide to take it to the next level, well then I would bypass the single adjustable all together and go straight to a dual adjustable shock, which to me is more appropriate shock for that style of driving/application.

Nice to see someone research just as much/ probably more than me haha. I still have some reading to do on progressive, linear, and digressive valving. How close are you on putting the rear sway bar on?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a week out on the swaybar. Waiting for some metal stock to come on in :)

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so one thing I was looking up last night is that going from a 33" tire to a 32" tire my effective gear ratio goes from 3.21 to 3.31, be interesting to see what effect, if any, that has on the driving experience. I honestly don't expect it to be very noticeable but you never know.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
now that it's been about a week, spending the rest of today going through all the fasteners making sure everything is safe.

I really like the rear bilsteins, unfortunately the front stock hitachi's aren't on the same level, going to order replacements!

rear suspension still a bit noisy, getting a little urethane squeak on hard turns.......

trying to bottom the rear suspension out with some high speed woops in the road but with the new shocks I haven't been able too.....like I said.....very impressed!

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
now that it's been about a week, spending the rest of today going through all the fasteners making sure everything is safe.

I really like the rear bilsteins, unfortunately the front stock hitachi's aren't on the same level, going to order replacements!

rear suspension still a bit noisy, getting a little urethane squeak on hard turns.......

trying to bottom the rear suspension out with some high speed woops in the road but with the new shocks I haven't been able too.....like I said.....very impressed!

Nice! Glad to hear you are liking them. What will you run in the front? The same type of bilstein?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
only missing the rear swaybar now:

20161009_172214_zpskodqxlmx.jpg

20161009_172233_zpsct2ip0zl.jpg

ran each bag to a separate schrader valve like I did on my burban, cool the factory provided these slick mounting holes!

2016-10-09%2017.30.28_zpsufplcfzj.jpg

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
only missing the rear swaybar now:

20161009_172214_zpskodqxlmx.jpg

20161009_172233_zpsct2ip0zl.jpg

ran each bag to a separate schrader valve like I did on my burban, cool the factory provided these slick mounting holes!

2016-10-09%2017.30.28_zpsufplcfzj.jpg

So badass! Nice setup brother! Looks like you have about 1.5" maybe more between bumpstops and the plate. I'd be curious to see how it is after another couple weeks once it settles.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So badass! Nice setup brother! Looks like you have about 1.5" maybe more between bumpstops and the plate. I'd be curious to see how it is after another couple weeks once it settles.

thanks my brother:D just tweaking the setup now until it's exactly the way I want it......I rarely get things 100% right the first time.....plus I got kids and a wife man......can't just live in my garage and stuff!!

I'll keep updating the thread as things change and driving impressions evolve!

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I thought you had gotten the same front shocks also. Didn't you provide links to the front shocks?

Discover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moregrip,
Really nice detailed report. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I thought you had gotten the same front shocks also. Didn't you provide links to the front shocks?

Have not purchased the front shocks yet but the front bilsteins in the link will be what I go with. They have 360/80 digressive valving for what they describe as a firm ride. Will report back when I get them installed.