Std cab / QC&CC lowering opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a interesting opinion type of ? For my fellow gen4 truckers I'm speaking of strictly 2wd NOT 4wd. In my search of stances on these ram trucks when lowered 2/4 with coil spring kits weather it's Mcgaughys or Belltech even ground force 2/3. To me it seems that the regular cab trucks do not net a big difference in the drop from stock stance to lowered stance i.e. It seems harder to see. But then I look at QC & or CC trucks lowered with the same brand lowering kit obviously different kit #'s but same brand, it seems to me that the QC & CC trucks net more of a difference in there lowered stance from their stock stance. I'm speaking of 2wd only and this is my opinion so my question is am I wonky or is it a optical illusion or is there somewhat of a difference in the netted drop you get on these trucks from std cab to the QC/CC trucks. I only ask others opinions as I've been looking into the different kits getting as much info as I can and I started to notice a difference and thought I was crazy so I'm asking our fellow gen 4 builders their opinions thank you

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
QC & CC are heavier that might be a reason but I did notice a huge difference in the gaps between the tire and fender. Not only that but when I would get in my truck @ stock height it felt like it was lifted and ever since I dropped mine its a lot easier getting in and out vs stock height. Now a lot of people say that the Belltech springs are softer vs the other companies so that might add to the reason why you might get slightly lower with a Belltech kit vs others. The down fall with the McGaughys kit is that the spindle they use makes your front wheels stick out about quarter of an inch, you wont notice it unless you look for it.

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kits

I've got it narrowed down to either Mcgaughy's economy kit which is coil spring front and rear or the ground force kit. I have a QC and when I've looked for pics of different mfg's kits it just was looking like the QC/CC was netting more drop then the standard cabs and I didn't know if it was optical illusion or I'm just touched in the head or if it was that way for whatever reason

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is quite a difference in actual drop height between belltech and mcgaughy. The 4 dr trucks visually look lower cuz they are longer.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the plan for wheels and tires? stock or custom wheels and sizes?

If you want lower you can always "tune" the spring kit but shaving coils off to get the drop more.

There are also 1" lowering springs I have seen (cant remember who makes them) but combine that with a McGaughys 2" spindle drop you will get roughly 3". Also I have read that the spring rates are different on the QC vs RC but yes the kits are all the same rate...

Is this kit on a budget or have a desired budget range to stick to?

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
List

No real crazy money I have a lot to do to the truck so the spohn control arms are going to be done at later time, so the plan is either Mcgaughys economy kit 2/4 coil spring drop front and back or ground force 2/3 not 100% sure which one yet but most likely it will be Mcgaughys do to track bar relocator and it's more drop. I'm going to install rear hellwig sway and spohn panhard bar at the time of the drop I'm going to rock stock shocks for a lil bit do to they are not a super necessity and I have so many more important things to get first. As far as wheels "24" wheels with 285/40/24 tires. The thing is I want low but I have to stay practical as this is my daily driver and the car my kids ride in so that is the lowest I'll go till the warranty is up and it's paid off in couple years the truck don't even have 20,000 miles yet so she has a lot of life in her so once it's paid off and warranty is up then it's going to get interesting I want another truck on bags and for my taste and needs this truck is perfect platform so I'll have another daily driver when I bag this one cause it will be quite the project with notching the frame and the laundry list of fabrication that will need done. But that's down the road so for now it's 2/4 or 2/3 not cut springs and build on that like the spohn control arms and qa1 shocks front hellwig but as I stated above those will come after I drop it get my wheels, programmer, spohn pan hard bar, rear hellwig, s&b intake, exhaust, and my audio upgrades and with kids I can't spend more then a few grand at a time as I'm not rich just normal income for wife and two kids. But I'm excited first truck I'm doing mod's on since my 03 Silverado and that was 10 years ago and I hated that truck after I owned it I didn't even finish it I sold it and started driving beaters so I'm really liking this ram it has me excited like I was in 97 when I built my 95 s-10 which is my favorite vehicle to date I hope this ram takes its place in my fav's category. Anyways that's me and my truck plans sorry for the long response

Last edited:

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
No real crazy money I have a lot to do to the truck so the spohn control arms are going to be done at later time, so the plan is either Mcgaughys economy kit 2/4 coil spring drop front and back or ground force 2/3 not 100% sure which one yet but most likely it will be Mcgaughys do to track bar relocator and it's more drop. I'm going to install rear hellwig sway and spohn panhard bar at the time of the drop I'm going to rock stock shocks for a lil bit do to they are not a super necessity and I have so many more important things to get first. As far as wheels "24" wheels with 285/40/24 tires. The thing is I want low but I have to stay practical as this is my daily driver and the car my kids ride in so that is the lowest I'll go till the warranty is up and it's paid off in couple years the truck don't even have 20,000 miles yet so she has a lot of life in her so once it's paid off and warranty is up then it's going to get interesting I want another truck on bags and for my taste and needs this truck is perfect platform so I'll have another daily driver when I bag this one cause it will be quite the project with notching the frame and the laundry list of fabrication that will need done. But that's down the road so for now it's 2/4 or 2/3 not cut springs and build on that like the spohn control arms and qa1 shocks front hellwig but as I stated above those will come after I drop it get my wheels, programmer, spohn pan hard bar, rear hellwig, s&b intake, exhaust, and my audio upgrades and with kids I can't spend more then a few grand at a time as I'm not rich just normal income for wife and two kids. But I'm excited first truck I'm doing mod's on since my 03 Silverado and that was 10 years ago and I hated that truck after I owned it I didn't even finish it I sold it and started driving beaters so I'm really liking this ram it has me excited like I was in 97 when I built my 95 s-10 which is my favorite vehicle to date I hope this ram takes its place in my fav's category. Anyways that's me and my truck plans sorry for the long response

I have installed both belltech and mcgaughy kits. I didnt see any reason that the mcgaughy was worth the extra $300 over belltech. The only thing i liked better was the relocation bracket was a little more solid on the mcgaughy. Get the $289 belltech kit off of summit and be done.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me the decisive point was the McGaughys and how they pushed the front wheels out a bit... I could see it immediately on other Rams and I knew I could never live with that. The other issue I absolutely cannot live with, is the rear axle being off-center (pulled forward) after lowering... Just my .02.

I would just get the BT kit without shocks, and run it with the factory shocks. It's a great and cheap start that you can build on as you discover weaknesses or needs (or wants).

You've probably seen my list already... this is where I finally ended up with my suspension.

Attachments

• 1dRLoweringList.JPG
    1dRLoweringList.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kits

The Mcgaughys kit I'm going for is coil spring front and rear just like Belltech I'm not using there lowering spindle and at summit Mcgaughys is exactly $100 more I have reasons that I won't use Belltech from past and present I'm not going to bash them there products just aren't for me. And Davidram no matter what kit you use with the coil rear suspension the rear end is not going to be dead nuts center unless you use the spohn upper and lower control arms and pan hard bar which I will be using I'm just going to start with pan hard bar first get some other things first then come back to the spohn arms. Please correct me if I'm wrong
McGaughy's Lowering Coil Springs 44052 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mcgaughys kit I'm going for is coil spring front and rear just like Belltech I'm not using there lowering spindle and at summit Mcgaughys is exactly $100 more I have reasons that I won't use Belltech from past and present I'm not going to bash them there products just aren't for me. And Davidram no matter what kit you use with the coil rear suspension the rear end is not going to be dead nuts center unless you use the spohn upper and lower control arms and pan hard bar which I will be using I'm just going to start with pan hard bar first get some other things first then come back to the spohn arms. Please correct me if I'm wrong
McGaughy's Lowering Coil Springs 44052 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Of course the axle will be pulled forward with either (any) lowering kit... The point was to consider that and plan your parts list accordingly, IF that is something that would bother you.

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
?

Yea I just wasn't sure if you were saying that there was some specific issue with the Mcgaughys kits in the rear I wasn't sure if you meant in general. As I appreciate your help and the other guys you are the reason I even looked into the spohn bars I just decided to even spread my funds out on other areas that I would only get the pan hard bar with the lowering kit and hellwig sway bar. Plus I need to find a alignment shop that will know what there looking at cause I surely don't want to take it to Midas or something and hope they have a clue on what's under there so I figure the place I've found that sounds promising I will show them all the stuff on the ole smart phone and see if they are willing to do it. Yea my bad though bro I thought you was telling me Mcgaughys had some rear glitch like they do with the front spindles but thanks for heads up