Stock CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am so done with these Spohn arms. Can I go back to the stock arms with the 2/4 drop I have added or am I stuck with this set up? I am ordering Bilstein 4600's all around for a better ride. Any input would be great, Thanks.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running stock arms for 5years with a 5" rear drop with zero issues. The tires not centered in the wheel wells bothers a lot of people, but I just lived with it. Pinion angle isn't perfect, but it's close enough. Like I said I've had no issues with the setup, your case may different.
Could always buy the Illicit brackets to correct all this and use the stock arms.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I am waiting for the group buy. I am hoping the adjustable panhard bar will fix the wheel issue.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope jsut run stock arms. Spohn arms are dog****, well documented at this point.

Im on air bags in the rear on stock arms, put a spohn panhard. Panhard works as intended

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope jsut run stock arms. Spohn arms are dog****, well documented at this point.

Im on air bags in the rear on stock arms, put a spohn panhard. Panhard works as intended

What air bags are you using. How much lower can I go with bags?

DireRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brackets

I contacted illicit customs and he gave me a promo code for us RamForum guys I don't think there is going to be a group buy.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I contacted illicit customs and he gave me a promo code for us RamForum guys I don't think there is going to be a group buy.

Thanks, I will contact Illicit.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I am waiting for the group buy. I am hoping the adjustable panhard bar will fix the wheel issue.
I forgot to mention that I do have Spohn's adjustable panhard bar with the regular.

After seeing all the issues with their Del-sphere joint I'm really glad it never bothered me enough to fork over the cash for the adjustable upper and lower links

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention that I do have Spohn's adjustable panhard bar with the regular.

After seeing all the issues with their Del-sphere joint I'm really glad it never bothered me enough to fork over the cash for the adjustable upper and lower links

Illicit did mention that the adj. bar will help fix the wheel issue with their brackets. He recommends me using the cut brackets because I want to go lower than 4 inches.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far from one install, axle brackets came off in pieces. So it likely wont be easy to go back to stock with the cut brackets IF thats an issue for you. I plan on using the NONE cut bracekts with my air system. It'll give me better angles and axle postion, maybe not bang on perfect, but better then it is currently.

My Truck with no air in system
IMG_7183_zpsnwnrgrti.jpg

Fulll air
IMG_7182_zpsuaqnmpuu.jpg
Has ART kit

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was my original plan, but Ryan at Illicit recommended the cut brackets because I will want to go lower than 4 inches and the cut brackets fix the geometry more than the non-cut.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All depends on your overall plan. For me, to cut the mount off, then have to revert it bakc to stock in a year or so when I trade it in makes no sense.

OP
OP
gonzo1968

gonzo1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't plan on getting rid of this anytime soon. I bought it with a build in mind: Stroker, cam, heads, intake, rebuilt trans, wheels, paint.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So far from one install, axle brackets came off in pieces. So it likely wont be easy to go back to stock with the cut brackets IF thats an issue for you. I plan on using the NONE cut bracekts with my air system. It'll give me better angles and axle postion, maybe not bang on perfect, but better then it is currently.

IMG_7183_zpsnwnrgrti.jpg

Fulll air
IMG_7182_zpsuaqnmpuu.jpg
Has ART kit[/QUOTE

I cut my brackets off in 1 piece,with a little bit of grinding they could be welded back on. You just need a little talent with a torch,and they're removable in one piece. I did weld the Illicit Cut Brackets on in a couple places,as I don't plan on getting rid of this truck for awhile,and when I do,i'll re-install the original housing with 3.21 gears. This housing has new 3.55's and a Tru Trac posi,so it won't go with the truck anyways when I go to sell it or trade it off.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to take away from Ryan at Illicit, just putting out all the options on the table for fixes, there is also Inez Hotrod and customs. they also make a rear bracket that is cut only and they also have a lot more stuff, there are a few posts floating around they are discussed in. From what I have read both these guys make a great product that solves alot of issues in the 4th gen when dropped.
Also SKWURLZ on the forum has mad his own arms that are far better and stout than the spohns without the issues with the spohns. They are a expensive but worth it if you still want to retain the ability to adjust your suspension.

One thing I'm thinking of doing it lopping off the spohn junk bushings and welding on new better ends without issues. Got too much $$$ in the spohns to just throw away, cause I also cant sell them to someone knowing their issues and maintenance required.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

IMG_7183_zpsnwnrgrti.jpg

Fulll air
IMG_7182_zpsuaqnmpuu.jpg
Has ART kit[/QUOTE

I cut my brackets off in 1 piece,with a little bit of grinding they could be welded back on. You just need a little talent with a torch,and they're removable in one piece. I did weld the Illicit Cut Brackets on in a couple places,as I don't plan on getting rid of this truck for awhile,and when I do,i'll re-install the original housing with 3.21 gears. This housing has new 3.55's and a Tru Trac posi,so it won't go with the truck anyways when I go to sell it or trade it off.

Yah thats what the Sowardcustoms said to, hell swap rear ends. For me up in Canada i have much less availability then in the states for rear ends if i need a stock housing.

Still on the fence which route i'll take, what I do like about the Cut brackets is that it will get rid of the mount that bottoms out against my frame

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
For me it was easier to take the mounts out in pieces but I didnt plan on welding them back in either I used a plasma cutter Im always too cautious when cutting right next to the axle tube. I also welded mine in the places I could get too.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yah thats what the Sowardcustoms said to, hell swap rear ends. For me up in Canada i have much less availability then in the states for rear ends if i need a stock housing.

Still on the fence which route i'll take, what I do like about the Cut brackets is that it will get rid of the mount that bottoms out against my frame[/QUOTE

I'm Alberta based ,kinda got an idea of what you're talking about,lol.

Soward I welded mine too,on the back side,and inside the front of the brackets where they butt up against the original front hole that the spacer goes in. More for piece of mind then anything,as I don't think they'll go anywhere with the bolts,but i'm a little like you OCD,lol
If you spot Dallas's posts on FB I've posted pics of mine on his threads,he's a good buddy of mine,so we combined pics.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doesnt work, interested to see tho