Strictly the 4x4 lowering thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMDubYa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. So the half shafts should hold up just fine since I'm not running ridiculous HP. It's still my daily driver. Lol. Just nice to know that parts won't wear out if I lower like they do if you lift.

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are a bunch of lowered 4x4s on this site. There is a point where too low can cause harm to the CVs but you're not going to find that point ubless yout ate trYing to drop the front more than 3". Ground Force makes a kit specifically for our 4x4s. I'm installing it tomorrow on my truck. You can also run the mcgaughys deluxe kit for a 2wd on the 4x4.

So for $600 for the Deluxe kit I can install it on my 2014 Express Crew 4WD, I know you put a lot of thought and time into it. I am ready to purchase and was just re-reading this thread and wanted to ask if I went this route would I need anything else? How do you feel that kit would work with the 24 reps you have?

Good time to put some better shocks in?

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for $600 for the Deluxe kit I can install it on my 2014 Express Crew 4WD, I know you put a lot of thought and time into it. I am ready to purchase and was just re-reading this thread and wanted to ask if I went this route would I need anything else? How do you feel that kit would work with the 24 reps you have?

Good time to put some better shocks in?

From what I have read yes you can run the Deluxe kit on your 4WD. I believe that kit comes with everything you will need.

My Ground Force kit is at 2/3.75 right now and I have zero rubbing issues. Two things that might be a concern for you with the MCG deluxe kit:
A) the spindles push the front wheels out slightly.
B) this spindle is designed for 2" drop on a 2WD. I have read that the factory 4WD spindle is 1" taller than a factory 2WD spindle. Meaning theoretically you would net a 3" drop with the MCG deluxe kit on your 4WD.
This could cause rubbing issues for you depending on your wheel and tire setup. Keep in mind I am only speaking based on what I've read. I only have real world experience with the GF kit on these trucks.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get the Ground Force kit and not have to worry about anything. It comes with new shocks as well. I found mine online for just a little over $800. I know for a fact the GF springs are far superior than that of belltech or mcgaughy. The old saying "you get what you pay for" stands true in this instance. You spent all that money on your truck, spend the extra $200 and get the GF kit IMO.

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok makes sense I was just wanting to put bilstein shocks with the kit for a good shock. Guess the GF kit is the way I will go. Thank you

Just spoke with GF, and they will offer the kit minus the shocks for $688 plus S&H. If anyone is on the edge of this they said they have 1-2 kits in inventory now, and will be 6-8wks out waiting on coils to come back in stock.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Ok makes sense I was just wanting to put bilstein shocks with the kit for a good shock. Guess the GF kit is the way I will go. Thank you

Just spoke with GF, and they will offer the kit minus the shocks for $688 plus S&H. If anyone is on the edge of this they said they have 1-2 kits in inventory now, and will be 6-8wks out waiting on coils to come back in stock.

If you want to put a good shock on with the kit then I would highly recommend the Rancho RS9000xl shocks instead of the Bilsteins. The only benefit of the Bils is that they have an adjustable height in the front, the rears are the same as any other shock out there and since you're going to need a shorter shock then why not get one that will improve the ride quality instead of giving you height adjustment that you don't need. The number one complaint of lowered rides is the poor ride quality and that's very commonly caused by the shocks.

With either the GF or McG's kits the front strut length stays the same so you can use the factory specs but for a 3-4" rear drop you want ~2" shorter rear shock length and if you do get the Ranchos then it's RS999147 which has a 1.5" shorter compression and 2.5" shorter extension and are direct bolt in.

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you want to put a good shock on with the kit then I would highly recommend the Rancho RS9000xl shocks instead of the Bilsteins. The only benefit of the Bils is that they have an adjustable height in the front, the rears are the same as any other shock out there and since you're going to need a shorter shock then why not get one that will improve the ride quality instead of giving you height adjustment that you don't need. The number one complaint of lowered rides is the poor ride quality and that's very commonly caused by the shocks.

With either the GF or McG's kits the front strut length stays the same so you can use the factory specs but for a 3-4" rear drop you want ~2" shorter rear shock length and if you do get the Ranchos then it's RS999147 which has a 1.5" shorter compression and 2.5" shorter extension and are direct bolt in.

Thank you for your input!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
From what I have read yes you can run the Deluxe kit on your 4WD. I believe that kit comes with everything you will need.

My Ground Force kit is at 2/3.75 right now and I have zero rubbing issues. Two things that might be a concern for you with the MCG deluxe kit:
A) the spindles push the front wheels out slightly.
B) this spindle is designed for 2" drop on a 2WD. I have read that the factory 4WD spindle is 1" taller than a factory 2WD spindle. Meaning theoretically you would net a 3" drop with the MCG deluxe kit on your 4WD.
This could cause rubbing issues for you depending on your wheel and tire setup. Keep in mind I am only speaking based on what I've read. I only have real world experience with the GF kit on these trucks.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get the Ground Force kit and not have to worry about anything. It comes with new shocks as well. I found mine online for just a little over $800. I know for a fact the GF springs are far superior than that of belltech or mcgaughy. The old saying "you get what you pay for" stands true in this instance. You spent all that money on your truck, spend the extra $200 and get the GF kit IMO.

Yes the deluxe kit works fine on the 4wd and to address your concerns:

A) yes it pushes the hubs out about 1/2" which is good since the CV shafts don't need to compress as they work around their travel arc but they are now a few degrees off stock but there is no binding issues with them at this height. The stock 20s fit in the wheel wells just fine and don't scrub the inner fender, the 17s need a spacer to clear the lower balljoint or the BJ needs to be trimmed. You can have rubbing issues with any aftermarket wheel/tire combo, you just need to start somewhere; if you bought wheels/tires first then work to that, if you do the suspension first then you work to that spec.

B) On the 2wd it's actually about a 1.5" drop and on the 4wd it's about 2.25" drop. With the GF front springs and McG's spindles I'm 4.5" down in the front.

The GF shocks aren't bad, but they are far from great and if that's the selling feature of the kit then it's not a very good one. Their springs are great and have the best spring rate of any of the kits, can't argue that, but combine the McG's rear springs with a proper set of shocks and you have a great ride quality. Your $200 difference can be put towards a better set of shocks and you'll end up with a much better ride quality. The above mentioned Ranchos are $220 for the rear pair.

Last edited:

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes the deluxe kit works fine on the 4wd and to address your concerns:

A) yes it pushes the hubs out about 1/2" which is good since the CV shafts don't need to compress as they work around their travel arc but they are now a few degrees off stock but there is no binding issues with them at this height. The stock 20s fit in the wheel wells just fine and don't scrub the inner fender, the 17s need a spacer to clear the lower balljoint or the BJ needs to be trimmed. You can have rubbing issues with any aftermarket wheel/tire combo, you just need to start somewhere; if you bought wheels/tires first then work to that, if you do the suspension first then you work to that spec.

B) On the 2wd it's actually about a 1.5" drop and on the 4wd it's about 2.25" drop. With the GF front springs and McG's spindles I'm 4.5" down in the front.

The GF shocks aren't bad, but they are far from great and if that's the selling feature of the kit then it's not a very good one. Their springs are great and have the best spring rate of any of the kits, can't argue that, but combine the McG's rear springs with a proper set of shocks and you have a great ride quality. Your $200 difference can be put towards a better set of shocks and you'll end up with a much better ride quality. The above mentioned Ranchos are $220 for the rear pair.

Awesome input, could I message you and bounce a few questions off of you?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm a 3rd gen 4x4, but I'm looking at joining you guys sometime in the future. A 2wd 3rd gen member is moving to my area and is most likely doing mcgaughy spindles after tax time. He said he'd hook me up with his 2wd spindles for $75. Combine that with some GF springs and a DIY flip kit, I should be sittin' awfully pretty hopefully next fall.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled my 17s off and went back to sports. Also installed 1.75" B.O.R.A spacers. Love the stance with the 2" drop
feb3b8d1ab186f3e14941aad0e8fdcbe.jpg

Looks great bro!
Is that just 2" drop springs in the rear?

1qikdsl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure why but can someone tell me why I'm not able to post in classifieds? I tried to post my 4x4 drop kit and it won't let me. Maybe it's not like the diesel forum I use to frequent and I have to pay or something? I prefer a local sale obviously but I thought if it was posted here I may find that local someone easier than the other options. If anyone can tell me why please do if not no biggie it will sit in the crate until a local 4x4 finds it lol. Thank you! Trucks look great info miss the stance that mine had. Just way to many pot holes on the back roads I live and travel around. Around town it was a blast and awesome in the corners for a truck

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i think you need 50 posts to put something in the classifieds

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
noooooooo .... 1qikdsl, you had my fav lowered ram on the site!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I forgot to post in here the other day. Last week I installed the Ground Force 2/3 kit on my new 2015 crew cab 4wd. This is how the truck sits right now, but I will throw some new pics up Wednesday or Thursday with my new wheels and painted headlights...

Debadge1_zps4megyfmy.jpg

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I forgot to post in here the other day. Last week I installed the Ground Force 2/3 kit on my new 2015 crew cab 4wd. This is how the truck sits right now, but I will throw some new pics up Wednesday or Thursday with my new wheels and painted headlights...

Debadge1_zps4megyfmy.jpg

looks great... which wheels u going with?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Going with black/machined 20x9 Verde Invictus wheels and 305/50/20 tires