Tempted to lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got today my Ground Force 2/3 with springs and shocks. It looks like Im working this weekend so it maybe a few days before I can get it installed.

OP
OP
M

miami-k9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
2 in drop springs with 2 in drop spindles give you a 4 in drop.

If I was going for a 2/3-4 drop, why would I use spindles at all, if I can get the same drop with springs and not have my wheels sticking out.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Stolen from another site said:
Dropped Spindles Vs. Short Springs

A popular product that has evolved from the sport-truck world is the dropped spindle, which moves the spindle higher in the forging than it is in a stock unit. When a dropped spindle is bolted in the place of its stock counterpart, the body and frame are effectively lowered over the wheels, giving the car a lower stance. Most dropped-spindle manufacturers can drop your stock front suspension approximately 2 inches with the simple addition of a dropped spindle, without cutting or replacing the coil spring. With a dropped spindle you are not changing the ride characteristics at all, because the spring rate hasn’t been altered. The car should handle slightly better than stock because the center of gravity has been lowered, but the car will still not be a true canyon carver without the addition of a set of higher-rated coil springs to increase roll stiffness.

A problem with a dropped spindle is maintaining the proper suspension geometry and the proper clearance between the lower control arm and the wheel when it is turned to a full-lock position. A dropped spindle, when installed properly, tucks the wheel up higher in the wheel well and physically pushes it out closer to the fender lip to help maintain correct geometry. As long as the proper wheel/tire combination is used there shouldn’t be a problem. This means getting the right wheel with the right offset and proper tire section width.

A shorter coil spring works the same as a stock coil spring. Both are designed to control ride qualities. Often a shorter spring will come with the same amount of coils in it as a stock spring, but it’s wound more tightly, which effectively makes the spring shorter. Most shorter coil springs are variable-rate, which means the first couple of coils are very tightly wound, while the rest are more loosely wound. Generally, the tighter the windings, the softer the spring rate. This means that the first few inches of travel will be fairly soft, for around-town driving, but when compressed further as your driving style becomes more aggressive, the spring rate will increase. So, for example, on a stock coil spring, if it takes 200 pounds to deflect the first inch and another 200 pounds to deflect the second (400 pounds total), on a dropped spring with a variable rate, the first inch of deflection may take the same 200 pounds, but the second inch of deflection may take 250 pounds or more.

FLRamSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mines 2wd. I am kinda at odds with myself. The color makes me think it would look awesome lifted, but I just have no use for it. The first one I looked at was a sport but I just have this thing, trucks should come with chrome bumpers.

Chrome bumpers are nasty! Gotta get that color matched up. Im in the same situation with my sport, debating if I want to drop or lift...

js941

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
theres a lowering kit to lower the front on 4wd?