Wanting to lower a 14 RAM RCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, Im wanting to lower my 2014 RCSB. Ive read so many threads that my head hurts. Im just wanting an aggressive stance without getting too crazy with the suspension. Im looking at the 2/4 drop kits and was curious which would be best and any issues I would have. Ive heard of some guys having problems with the driveshaft and was curious if this was an actual problem or just a case by case kinda basis. Any help would be appreciated!

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most issue people report is a little vibration on take off from pinion angle, and high speed wobbles.

Most people run the Belltech Kit, I prefer the kit with the Street Performance shocks, they ride great. Would suggest 2010 F150 front sway bar links, but the Belltech kit comes complete with everything else needed.

Currently, there are new Relocation brackets made by illicit customs that guys are JUST starting to recieve now. they fix the pinion angle issue, and seem to think they may cure the wobble. It also centers the wheels after. Once you lower the truck, the wheels move forward in the wheel arch. Most guys dont even notice, but its there

OP
OP
Brody57

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say "high speed wobbles" are they terrible? I'd like to eventually solve that issue because this is my DD. I will most likely run the Belltech kit. It seems to have great reviews from anyone I've read that uses it. Does the ford sway bar links help a bunch?

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Helps a lot with bump steer in the front end. Once lowered, the sway bar no longer sits level, so the shorter F150 links help the front sway bar get back to a more desirable position.

Wobble is usually at much higher speeds people report(85+MPG). I have enver experienced it, but both my lowered rams have had much more suspension work then just a standard lowering kit

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Helps a lot with bump steer in the front end. Once lowered, the sway bar no longer sits level, so the shorter F150 links help the front sway bar get back to a more desirable position.

Wobble is usually at much higher speeds people report(85+MPG). I have enver experienced it, but both my lowered rams have had much more suspension work then just a standard lowering kit[/QUOTE

The swaybar won't do much for bumpsteer on the front. Bumpsteer occurs because the tie rods don't run parrellel with the steering rack. With a spring drop the tie rods run uphill towards the wheels,and the swaybar really doesn't do anything to correct that issue.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wobble is usually at much higher speeds people report(85+MPG). I have enver experienced it, but both my lowered rams have had much more suspension work then just a standard lowering kit[/QUOTE

The swaybar won't do much for bumpsteer on the front. Bumpsteer occurs because the tie rods don't run parrellel with the steering rack. With a spring drop the tie rods run uphill towards the wheels,and the swaybar really doesn't do anything to correct that issue.

Im fully aware of this, however, as documented, a lot of members have had the issue and rectified after lowering. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but thats what they report.

Myself, Ive never left stock sway bar links of any of my 6+ lowered trucks so I cannot comment on bad front bar geometry

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im fully aware of this, however, as documented, a lot of members have had the issue and rectified after lowering. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but thats what they report.

Myself, Ive never left stock sway bar links of any of my 6+ lowered trucks so I cannot comment on bad front bar geometry

Personally I don't think they really know what bumpsteer is and why it's caused,lol. My old 13 had a 3" front spring drop,and I eventually hated it so much I went to the lowered spindles and ****** the drop springs out,just to get the truck back to being a semi decent driving truck.I was one of the early guys doing the Ford endlinks,and they really didn't do much for it's bumpsteer issues,but they did get rid of the annoying squeak,that I had from the swaybar after dropping the truck with the stock endlinks. That truck made me hate drop springs,it was the worst thing I ever had as far as trying to swap lanes at 75+ mph on the freeway when it hit a good sized bump,and it rode like a piece of crap while doing it,lol

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Rams are utter garbage to lower. The coils all the way around are a total pain.

My 2/4 in my 2015 RT$ rode great, as soon as I cut down to 3" it Rode terrible, just like you said

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ordering my belltech kit next week. I hear alot of horror stories and what not but im going to go for it and go from there. I do hear the stock front shocks ride better then the performance. And still waiting on those new brackets to be tested a little longer and maybe help the current problems we have.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no Horror stories for the Belltech kits really, a lot of issues guy have are self inflicted

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have the Belltech kit with the performance shocks. Shorter front sway bar end links up front. Hellwig rear sway bar in rear. Have no issues yet. Over a year installed. I think the key to handling better is get better tires. I got rid of the stock Bridgestones, replaced with Falkens. Truck handles better to my driving style in my opinion.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have the Belltech kit with the performance shocks. Shorter front sway bar end links up front. Hellwig rear sway bar in rear. Have no issues yet. Over a year installed. I think the key to handling better is get better tires. I got rid of the stock Bridgestones, replaced with Falkens. Truck handles better to my driving style in my opinion.

X2 on tires
Changed from the OEM Bridgestones to a highly rated Michelin- noticeable difference to the good on the ride
Went down one size to 275/55/20 for a more favourable effective rear ratio and wheel/tire weight- about 8LBs less and about a effective rear ratio of 4.05 compared to the stock 20 tire size
Conversely I think there has to be some low profile tire and wheel combinations that make our lowered trucks run way worse.....

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Helwig bar in the back should alleviate the death wobble with the 2/4 drop. Hardest part of the job for me was the top bolt of the rear shock. Tough to get a socket there.

OP
OP
Brody57

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I went with the Belltech 2/4 drop and then run the Hellwig rear sway bar i shouldnt have any issues? As i said, its my DD and I want it to be reliable to drive.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I had no issues with that setup. Couldn't get it in perfect alignment but close enough. No wobble. The sway bar end link bushings squeaked so I dismantled them and greased them. Problem solved.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I finally got mine lowered works great. I did get the hellwig rear sway bar also and like stated they couldnt get alignment perfect but close enough for me drives great. I even used stock front endlinks.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never understood why anyone wants to lower a truck. You are turning a truck into a car with a bed. Just go buy an old ranchero...

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never understood why anyone wants to lower a truck. You are turning a truck into a car with a bed. Just go buy an old ranchero...

Never understood why people have this thought & then feel the need to make a smart comment about it. You are turning your truck into nothing more than the same truck it was before, just a tad lower. People still pull their campers & haul items after lowered. You are a guy that likes lifted trucks huh?

OP
OP
Brody57

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

With all due respect, I didn't ask for your opinion. I don't need your approval to lower my truck. I'll still be able to do anything I want with it but with a sportier look and performance. You can exit left.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotta love somebody that just has joined w/ in the last 7 days & has 5 post & starts being a smart ass in someone else's thread.