Would stock shocks prevent going lower?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Perry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 regular cab 5.7 Hemi. I've read all about people using stock shocks with their lowering kits/cut coils with no problems. Well tonight I cut my stock coils to get it level. I started with 1/2 a coil. Then another 1/2 coil. Then another 1/2 coil. By the time I stopped I've cut 3 full coils off. After the last 2 or so cuts, it doesn't seem to be dropping it any lower. Maybe the drop is so insignificant that I'm not noticing it? As the title suggests, could my stock shocks be preventing my truck from going any lower.

I know I can go out there and pull the lower shock bolt out to see if it would drop but I'm tired of fooling with it right now.

If I bought some bilsteins shocks, would it help make it drop another inch?

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 coils should be like 6" of drop!!!!!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's what I thought! 1" of coil is 2" of drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Easy way to find out is to pull the rear shock lower bolt and see where it sits when the full weight is on it. Another thing that can be holding it us is the suspension bushing binding, so loosen the rear control arm and panhard bar bolts and torque them back up at the new ride height.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't think about the bushings binding, I'll try that when I get home this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So if anyone is wondering, I removed the lower shock bolt and let the truck down off the jack and it did not make the truck sit lower. So the stock shock will not prevent the truck from sitting low as it should.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep in mind its going to settle too, if you don't replace your stock shocks with performance shocks it's going to bottom out sometimes.