2016 1500 Bighorn w/ 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning. After finishing the presents routine early this morning, I found this place. I'm looking at locking in a deal on a CPO '16 Ram 1500 Bighorn tomorrow. Just looking to see what else I can learn about these before pulling the trigger. I can't wait to get back into a truck.:favorites13:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum form LA (Lower Alabama). There's a lot of good and knowledgeable people on this forum. I've had mine almost a year and still learning more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Most informative from my perspective are these topics which you can search: airlift 1000, catch can, 44-44 transfer case, royal purple filter, bilstein 5100. Have fun!

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was originally looking at new trucks, but the price and extended power train warranty on the CPO make these too appealing to pass up. I can get out the door in a '16 Bighorn (actually get the features I want) with 13-19k miles for a LOT less than a stripped out new '16 Tradesman.

On the off-lease/CPO trucks...are there any common issues/concerns? I see a lot of these trucks around, so I can afford to be picky.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought mine this past February. My 4th Ram in the last 20 years, and easily the best one yet. 10,500 miles on it now, and not single thing wrong. Two oil changes and tire rotations, and that's it. Drives like the day I drove it home, and looks good too (but I'm pretty **** about keeping it detailed.) If only my Viper had the build quality this Ram does. The Ram is highly recommended!

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome and congrats from Maryland.

If the original owner/leaser did the regular maintenance you shouldn't have any issues. I purchased my 2014 Laramie Hemi CC 4X4 as a CPO and saved a lot of money. Very happy with it so far, the only issues so far were a few scuffs in the paint, and mud residue on the undercarriage. I assume the original owner drove on dirt roads often. I took care of both when I cleaned it myself the first time.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove an hour to check a couple out today. The one I really wanted had already been sold. Nice of them to have (not) called and let me know. Kinda defeats the purpose of setting up an appointment to see a specific vehicle.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Drove an hour to check a couple out today. The one I really wanted had already been sold. Nice of them to have (not) called and let me know. Kinda defeats the purpose of setting up an appointment to see a specific vehicle.

Yeah, the sales guys don't give a damn about that. Getting you on the lot gives them the chance to up ya into a different truck from their inventory.

Good luck with your search.

My only concern with the used leased vehicles is how they were maintained. I'd ask the dealer for a service history on the truck. Anything done (service, repairs, warranty items, recalls, bulletins, etc...) by the dealer will be in the service history. It is recorded by VIN.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah...the one I drove today was pretty clapped-out for a one year old truck.

Edit: One more thing...I checked the Carfax reports. If they were serviced, it was somewhere that doesn't log the visits and report to Carfax. There were zero service records on any of them between their initial in-service date and the date that they were serviced and put on CPO status.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The good news...I got out of my diesel VW today (buyback). The bad news (on the CPO Bighorn front)...they've been flying off the lots like hotcakes. The one place I mentioned above had 12 almost identical trucks (same options, just different colors). They're down to four and aren't willing to budge on the remaining one that's in a color that I'd consider.

As I don't want to go to $30k out the door on a used truck and I don't want to drop $36k+ on a new one...I'm just looking at Tradesman/Express now. I didn't want the 20" wheels and didn't care about the dual exhaust, so I won't miss that.

I would prefer to have the power adjustable seat and sliding rear window, but oh well (there are no SLT's w/o Bighorn near me). You've gotta pay to play around here and I'm an admitted cheapskate. What I have found though is a few trucks in the cheap ******* price range that have some good stuff (to me). ex. Hemi, 4WD, Uconnect 5.0, backup camera, spray-in bedliner, 17" alloy wheels (yeah...I'm an oddball that actually prefers the smaller wheels), and I think that's about it.

Where I commute, I'd rather put the difference (~$100/month....for $30kish out the door vs. $35+) towards my fuel bill than load a truck up on options that I don't need or care about (ex. Uconnect 8.4 Nav and 20" wheels).

Anyways...looking to check some out tomorrow evening and hopefully report in with good news.:favorites13:

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've flipped and flopped like a fish on dry land, but my search is complete.

2016 Bighorn with 14k. Drives like new.:favorites13:

998BC8B1-EF1F-4580-8A8C-73A8BFE7D439_zpsy2geszlq.jpg

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm from Pa. I just bought a 2015 CPO Bighorn V6 4x4 CC with 22,000 miles on it for 27k. Not sure where you are from but maybe try expanding your search radius a little more? I know you said you drove an hour already so that is already pretty far away. Here's a pic of mine. Good luck

965e2f1f125fa9a871dad5da0f2f6695.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up a '16 CPO (post #12) on Friday. I'm very happy with it. We got some snow on Saturday, so I got to test out the 4WD.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
19 MPG on the first tank (hand calculated). Not bad. The display was showing 20.2 MPG, so that's a bit generous (though closer to reality than my VW's display was).

To put my 19 MPG in perspective...that is with a VERY $h1tty commute with 10 hours of engine run time shown. If I didn't have to deal with stop and go traffic, it would easily be over 20 MPG (pretty awesome for a gas full-size truck).

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
19 MPG on the first tank (hand calculated). Not bad. The display was showing 20.2 MPG, so that's a bit generous (though closer to reality than my VW's display was).

To put my 19 MPG in perspective...that is with a VERY $h1tty commute with 10 hours of engine run time shown. If I didn't have to deal with stop and go traffic, it would easily be over 20 MPG (pretty awesome for a gas full-size truck).
How am I getting worse gas mileage in a stock V6 with 22k on it with a mostly highway commute.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How am I getting worse gas mileage in a stock V6 with 22k on it with a mostly highway commute.

How are you driving it? I've gotten on it a few times, but in general...I'm fairly easy on it. I shoot to keep the little "eco" light on in the dash. When I'm driving in heavy traffic...I leave a buffer in front of me so I'm not constantly braking and gassing it.

The EPA numbers for my truck are 16/21. I was expecting 18/19 with my commute (mostly highway). My $.02...your truck is still under warranty. If I went with a V-6 and my fuel economy was less than what I'm getting with this truck, I'd be running it to the dealership to have them look it over.

One of three things is likely going on: 1. You need to change your driving habits, 2. There's something wrong with your truck, and/or 3. You need to change your driving habits AND there's something wrong with your truck.

With winter blend fuel, your numbers should be a bit lower, but I can't imagine it would be as low as a V-8 should get.

ramboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
go ahead pulled the trigger its a well build truck i have 2013 ram hemi 1500 express scsb it goes very well:happy107:

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
How are you driving it? I've gotten on it a few times, but in general...I'm fairly easy on it. I shoot to keep the little "eco" light on in the dash. When I'm driving in heavy traffic...I leave a buffer in front of me so I'm not constantly braking and gassing it.

I am a conservative driver. I don't floor it or slam on the brakes. I don't have an eco light in my 2015 bighorn. I will see if it is turned off or something. This current tank I am getting 17 mpg. When I bought the truck, the average mpg on the dash was mid 14's. I chalked that up to idling and test drives at the dealership knocking it down. I am in PA so we have the winter blend but I just thought I would be getting more out of it. I or my mechanic have found nothing wrong with the truck.