Allow me to introduce myself!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Hi all!
I’m new to the forum. (have ended up here many times in google searches for advice.) I have a Former U.S. Forest Service 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 ST quad cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.9L Magnum and 46RE. w/ manual locks and windows and a vinyl floor! 3.92s and limited slip. It was a gift/early inheritance from my grandfather who purchased it at a government auction. Just a few months into driving it I had a misfire and a P0308 code. Head came off and machine shop said it was cracked. New aftermarket OE replacement head and hughes plenum plate installed as I suspected that is what caused it after some lurking around here. No more misfire code!
It’s got a Spectre Cold Air Intake.
LT285/75R16 Yokohama Geolander A/T’s
Dual batteries
I am now looking to do some sort of overland/expedition type of build.

Truck is gonna need some wear items replaced first though.

Any recommendations you guys have for finnicky things on these trucks is more than welcome! I'm very excited to be here.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to Ram Forum!

What part of Orygun are you in?

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome. Let's see some pics of your truck. I miss Oregon...I lived the first 23 years of my life there.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Welcome and sounds like a neat build you have. Moog parts for replacement and you have the other problem covered [plenum issues].
Photos of your truck would be cool.

OP
OP
P

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I am in Eugene.
I was going to get some pics but i'm at work all hours of daylight this past week. Haha

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
**** moog. Whatever has a lifetime warranty for these trucks is your best bet front end wise. Moog has gone WAY down in quality in the last couple years and is extremely unreliable for these trucks. Figure out the lift you want first them go from there. Stock height, simply new parts will tighten up the front end.

Service the trans with fluid filter and band adjustments. Delete check valve in the cooler line and add a bigger auxiliary cooler.

Motor plenum fix, only copper plugs, msd superconductors are the best wires, brass cap and rotor.

Anything else more specific just ask

OP
OP
P

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Well my tires are basically brand new so I am thinking about just getting a leveling kit until I wear them out then step up to 35's.

The forest service had rear lift blocks on it for some reason and so the truck has some unsightly nose down rake that I hate.

I have been trying to find out what is supposed to be between rear leafs and axle from the factory and all the dealer can tell me is that there is a "bushing" that isn't pictured but it's out of production. I have seen other trucks I have believed to be stock that have a similar sized spacer without the rake.

Think I could just take the spacers out and get shorter U-bolts?

Yeah the ball joints and tie rod boots are all blown out. Haha
Any good steering linkage upgrades?
and my track bar is all blown out too. What's the best upgrade for that?
Or do I just try to find an OE style w/lifetime warranty?

Thanks guys!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Leveling kit you can do CHEAP and QUALITY going with HellBentSteel. Or you can go a little more and get 2-3" taller front springs and get a true 2-3" of lift.
I'd get a track bar drop bracket with it for longevity sake but you can get away without a bunch of longer parts until you hit 3".

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well my tires are basically brand new so I am thinking about just getting a leveling kit until I wear them out then step up to 35's.

The forest service had rear lift blocks on it for some reason and so the truck has some unsightly nose down rake that I hate.

I have been trying to find out what is supposed to be between rear leafs and axle from the factory and all the dealer can tell me is that there is a "bushing" that isn't pictured but it's out of production. I have seen other trucks I have believed to be stock that have a similar sized spacer without the rake.

Think I could just take the spacers out and get shorter U-bolts?

Yeah the ball joints and tie rod boots are all blown out. Haha
Any good steering linkage upgrades?
and my track bar is all blown out too. What's the best upgrade for that?
Or do I just try to find an OE style w/lifetime warranty?

Thanks guys!

Welcome!

Don't bother with a spacer if everything is kosher now. If you're planning on lifting, I recommend reading the Lift Basics thread in the lifted section.

2gs came with a 3" factory block between axle and leafs.

For front end parts, just head to your local parts store and get life time warranty parts. There is no good brands that always work nowadays any
more.

Wouldn't bother with steering upgrades until you lift, if you plan on it.

Track bar, same as other front end parts.

OP
OP
P

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I really just like the leveled look and I figure my tires are going to last long enough that an actual lift kit will be way off in the future.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I really just like the leveled look and I figure my tires are going to last long enough that an actual lift kit will be way off in the future.

Levelling spacer should achieve that then. 2" should be fine, or 2.5". Skip 3", things get funky at 3". DaPepper's suggestion of springs is a good idea, springs are always superior to spacers.

JSYK, if you do decide to lift down the road the spacer should NOT be used in conjunction.

edit: fixed

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Levelling spacer should achieve that then. 2" should be fine, or 2.5". Skip 3", things get funky at 3". DaPepper's suggestion of springs is a good idea, springs are always superior to spacers.

JSYK, if you do decide to lift down the road the FRONTspacer should'NT be used in conjunction.
Fixed

OP
OP
P

pwaite92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
I should keep the leveling spacer on when I install the lift? Why is that?

Now that I think about it my rear spring blocks couldn't be much taller than 3" if at all.
Maybe they put stiffer springs on it when it was with the Forest Service.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thank you, I've been having a lot of issues with typing of late lol. Not noticing errors til much later :roflsquared:

Sounds like me on my phone lol. Damn thing will change THE to TUNE, WITH to AUTH or WUTHERING to name a few. Drives me bat****

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like me on my phone lol. Damn thing will change THE to TUNE, WITH to AUTH or WUTHERING to name a few. Drives me bat****

I wish I could claim it was the cellphone, nope all me LOL.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk