Hello, I love/hate my Ram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,

Grew up in a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership, always had Mopar vehicles with some exceptions. I've had Dodge trucks ranging from a 65 1-ton to my current 2005 1500 SLT Quad Cab.

I'm going to be making a long commute starting next week, so over the summer I've been fixing things on the truck.

Not sure which area I should post my questions in, after replacing tie rod ends, ball joints, tires, and more, my truck makes a whining noise that follows the wheel speed, not the engine speed. Just got back from my mechanic, took him for a ride and he's stumped too. Going out now to check the oil level in the front diff, rear was fine. Definitely not a wheel bearing noise, driveshafts have no play, tranny shifts fine. Whine starts at very low speed and continues as long as the wheels are turning. Very frustrated and worried sick since I have to take my son to school and need to be able to rely on a vehicle. Thanks everyone for being here and sharing information, sometimes it's hard to find good information on things.

nlm420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there, new here. I'm stumped also, but very curious so I'll check back to see what happens. Good luck

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Well, first thing I was gonna suggest was wheel bearings. How do you know it can't be them?

Can you put it up on jackstabds or a lift and get the noise to happen when you spin one or more wheels manually?

Take a passenger along for a ride and stick your heads out the windows and try to localize the noise?

OP
OP
K

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I had a friend ride with me on Friday, and my mechanic yesterday- both were hanging out the window, crawling around in the cab, trying to localize the noise. Both diffs are full of clean oil, checking transfer case fluid level today (had to find my hex bit sockets). If I can't find it then, I'm going to put it on the lift and run it so we can get in close and find the noise.

No play or grind in the wheel bearings, also I've had a few go bad and this sounds nothing like it. Never say never, at this point I'd be tickled if it was a wheel bearing or two! That'd be a relatively cheap fix that I can do myself! I just found out that I can use the wife's vehicle for commuting this week, so I have a few afternoons to find and fix the problem. At least it's still warm, stuff like this usually happens to me in February when the high temp. here is 10 degrees.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
At least it's still warm, stuff like this usually happens to me in February when the high temp. here is 10 degrees.

Opposite situation where I am (Phoenix). It's closer to 110 here, so we usually hate it when our rides break in the summer.

Winter is prime workin'-on-the-car time here (60s for the highs, 40s for the lows). :D

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Op,

I know this may seem dumb but you did say you changed out the tires. Did the noise start with the new tires? You probably already thought about that but it is worth mentioning. Also do you have a split drive shaft, if so have you checked the center bearing.
Just a thought or two, hope you get 'er sorted and WELCOME,

preachp

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
welcome to the site
Tony :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics