Just another noob!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
HI! I'm Jim, and I'm a Ram Forum noob!

I'm about to take over my dad's 98 1500 Sport 4X4, as my work truck. If I remember correctly, he said it had about 50k on it when he got it ( which was 2000...maybe 2001). Today she's sitting at over 330k, but don't let that fool ya. Less than 25k on new tranny and Jasper 5.9. K&N CAI. All of the front end has been replaced, as well as a rebuild on the rear end within the last couple of years. MAYBE two months ago, he finally had to replace the stock u-joints..lol
Up until last month, the dash NEVER cracked, until he had a new heater core put in. So basically, I'm falling into a "new" truck for work! hahah
There's a few things I'll want to do, just to make it more ME, and less POP! Gotta go for some new headlights and foglights.....those poor things are rough. I'll be looking for a tuner,also. I'm seriously thinking about a 2 or 3 inch body lift. May have to change the pinion gears. He's had it set-up to pull a three-horse trailer, and the thing pulls like hell! But I'm not very impressed with the "get-up and go" on the highway.....I'll have to resolve that issue if I'm gonna be running the interstates with this thing!!! I'll admit, I'm a Ford man. I've got my 96 GT modded as far as I can go, without going into the engine. So, I have a pretty good understanding of the bolt-ons, but may need a little help and advice from you guys with this Dodge...hahah

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
welcome to the forum, we make rich people go broke, lol jk
honestly, just take one thing at a time, go big then small, as in items, not take on the entire truck at once.

you'll like it here.

OP
OP
J

Jimbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Oh shizz......then what do ya'll do with the ones that are broke when we come in here? lol

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jim. For those that come in here with a broke truck, we help 'em get their fix on.

Sounds like ya got a great platform to start from.

If you go with a lift and a larger wheel/tire combo, a gear change is recommended. What's nice is that this is a great torque multiplier so the "get up and go" will improve.

There are other mods and maintenance items you can do that will improve the throttle response, low end torque, and high end power. There's lots of good tricks in the Tech section dedicated to your generation truck.

Have fun with the mods!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome from O-Ville PA! This is a great forum with some really nice folks. Glad to have you.

I had a '97 1500 4x4... awesome truck. Currently in my brother's driveway but someday I hope to get her back.