New arrival

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
I am on here to gather information on a potential purchase of the new Ram eco diesel. I've been a Ford guy all my life and this would be my first Ram and diesel for that matter. I like the idea of a small fuel efficient diesel in a truck and feel Ram hit the mark with this truck

Thanks
Travis

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am on here to gather information on a potential purchase of the new Ram eco diesel. I've been a Ford guy all my life and this would be my first Ram and diesel for that matter. I like the idea of a small fuel efficient diesel in a truck and feel Ram hit the mark with this truck

Thanks
Travis

If the engine didn't cost $4k and diesel wasn't 25-40% more expensive than gas, I'd say the ecodiesel was a no-brainer. If it's just economy you're looking for, the Pentastar is probably a better choice. If it's pulling power and longevity that you're seeking, you're better off getting a Cummins. The ecodiesel is a tweener, not yet cost effective nor powerful enough to meet most folks' needs. Just my opinion of course.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OptimusRAM

Reaction score
If the engine didn't cost $4k and diesel wasn't 25-40% more expensive than gas, I'd say the ecodiesel was a no-brainer. If it's just economy you're looking for, the Pentastar is probably a better choice. If it's pulling power and longevity that you're seeking, you're better off getting a Cummins. The ecodiesel is a tweener, not yet cost effective nor powerful enough to meet most folks' needs. Just my opinion of course.
If the OP is buying this truck with finance the $4k is manageable. Agreed with diesel prices being high though. This truck also gets wicked mgp, almost double the hemi with more tq. These new ram trucks are really the top dog when it comes to a bad ass truck, and to get 28mpg while driving that beauty is insane. I just purchased a 2012 sport 1 week ago and i absolutely love it. But the fuel milage is nuts. I am strongly considering going for an ecodiesel in the next couple years, if i had the option to do it right the first time i would have.

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Welcome to the site

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Welcome!

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I was in a similar circumstance as you and I just made the decision. Last Friday I ordered a Laramie, quad cab, 4x4, 3.55 rear axle, 4 corner air suspension, Ram boxes and a few other options and for the motor I ordered the.............................pentastar!

Here's why - I was considering all three available - Hemi and diesel too. I first thoroughly evaluated my needs - this will be a daily driver, I commute about 50 miles to work and I can put as much as 20k miles on per year, I hardly ever tow, I do occasionally haul so payload is probably my biggest need.

So that all said the v6 has THE best payload numbers of the 3 motors - check the Ram webpage (The two/haul tool) if you want confirmation. I test drove all three prior to ordering and the pentastar with the 8 speed transmission is fantastic! If I didn't know better I thought it was a v8! Lots of power even in 4 wheel drive and great acceleration. Also, I suggest you really consider all the factors that come with the diesel. The following 3 factors discouraged me - 1.) $4k up charge over the V6 - in light of how the V6 performed this was a difficult justification to make; 2.) DEF fuel - an additional commitment forever - it is falling in price and is increasingly available at the pump even but still another added cost and hassle; 3.) oil changes - nearly 11 quarts of upgraded diesel grade oil and the filters although now OEM's are increasingly available still $30 to $40 per copy. That all combined was harder for me to justify the diesel. I considered the arguments regarding high resale value and the durability claims but the the pentastar for the price, the performance and the capability was too difficult to ignore. Quite frankly - I also considered the new 2015 Ford 2.7L V6 but the pentastar is naturally aspirated and by comparison a much less complex motor (one of Ward's ten best - two years running) and has a good record of durability, efficiency and low maintenance.

I hope this helps and I cannot wait to get my truck!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45