New Guy from MD - 2003 4.7 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axshon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here.

Picked up a pretty cheap 03 Ram 1500 the other day because the rear axle was blown. Not afraid to do a little wrenching so I grabbed it only to find that the rack and pinion was also shot. I got a 9.25 LSD (3.92) and an R&P from a donor 4x4 of the same year with a 5.7 engine. Diff is in, waiting on the arrival of the friction modifier. New PS pump is ready to install along with the new hose, used R&P and moog outer tie rods. Already pulled the 60/40 rear seat from a 2004 with headrests and installed that.

Hoping and praying that's all there is to it. This Christmas project has the wife a little unhappy but I'm psyched to finally be back in a 4x4 after a few years of minivans. All in cost on this is under $5k with 92k on the truck. We looked at new trucks for just long enough to see the price tags before deciding on this for plan B.

Assuming the new diff is good to go the first upgrade I'm planning is an Eaton Truetrac locker and perhaps an ox locker for the 8.25 up front.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum form LA (Lower Alabama).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewchief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
welcome!!! Lots of great knowledge here. Lots of great people too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

crewchief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
welcome to the forum. Indian

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Good luck with your new truck. It's great to have you here. Thanks for joining

Tony

OP
OP
A

axshon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. The total turn time for this rig was about 6 weeks. I ended up angering the MD inspection gods who decided I needed upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends on both sides. I did most of the work myself but ended up paying my regular mechanic to finish it up while I took the family on vacation. It was a good thing I did because he ended up finding 3 brake lines that were rusted out and in danger of failing.

So here is all I've done so far:
- Upper ball joints/control arms (moog)
- Lower ball joints (moog)
- Tie rod ends (moog)
- Brake line replacement
- Rear differential (3.92 LSD)
- Power steering pump and high pressure line
- Exhaust mounting bracket repairs
- Removal of window tint
- Replacement of both rear tail light modules
- Thermostat (thank goodness that long bolt didn't break)
- Switch to all synthetics (in process)

All in at this point is about $6,000.

I'll do the trans filter and front diff as soon as it's a bit warmer here. The running board mounts are still present but they are rusted and the running boards themselves are gone. I prefer the truck without so the mounts will be removed soon. The rack and pinion unit is leaking a little bit but I have a replacement along with new dampers. That will wait till spring.

My only complaints about the truck right now are the mileage (12-14), the noise (Flowmaster dual exhaust is not really my game), and the condensation in the top end since I'm driving relatively short distances. Otherwise it's fun and has been purring along for a few hundred miles now. My kids still think it's a monster truck and LOVE it.