New Member - No RAM Yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Chrysler Aspen
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself.

I plan to purchase a RAM 1500 either in March during RAM Truck Month, or wait it out until Fall durning the MN State Fair pricing. Last 2 vehicles I bought new were during State Fair pricing, to get the best deal.

I haven't owned a pickup truck since the 90s. With all the technology now and the features in these trucks, I don't see myself looking back after I do get one again.

I'm leaning towards a BigHorn Crew Cab 4x4. I'd love to get a heavily discounted 2014 Laramie, but I am guessing they'll all be gone by the time I am ready.

One question for you guys, is the 8.4 touchscreen something you really enjoy, or is the 5.0" good enough?

Currently own a 2008 Saab 9-7x Aero (with the 6.0 LS2). I plan to trade that in on the truck, or sell it outright before I buy the RAM. Prior to that I had a heavily modified Pontiac G8 GT. I sold the G8 to fund a project car someday, and I figured I'd use the Saab to pull that around. However, I think I want a truck for those duties (someday when I actually make up my mind on what I want for a project car).

I've been window shopping for about a week now, and will be keeping an eye on prices going forward.

-Ryan

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome. I don't have the 8.4 in my truck but I do in my dart and I personally would get that and not the 5.0

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
8.4 hands down over the 5.0, welcome to the site, and get it early spring so you can enjoy it before winter hits :D

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've had a 2012 Sport and now have a 2014 Sport so I might be able to offer some advice. First of all, since you're considering a 2014 I don't know that truck month will get much better (maybe someone else can chime in?). For my 2014, I bought it in early December and for my model they were currently doing $9500 in rebates. With the rebates and sale price close to invoice value I got almost $14k off the $49k sticker. My advice is, if you find a Larmie that is just what you want you may be better of snatching the 2014 while you can before you have to get it in a 2015 with less rebates.

Secondly, my 2012 had the 5.0 (if its the same model now). That thing was a pile of junk IMO. The one I had made you do everything with voice commands like BT pairing, and it was just poorly thought out. And loading songs to its built in harddrive was tedious and barely functional. However, I LOVE the 8.4AN in my new truck and wouldn't replace it with aftermarket even if it was free.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with post #5 on all counts. 8.4 is real nice.

I just bought my 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab...46,600 was sticker, got it for 33, 800 and also got them to throw in the navigation for free!

OP
OP
Rawyzf

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Chrysler Aspen
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a 2012 Sport and now have a 2014 Sport so I might be able to offer some advice. First of all, since you're considering a 2014 I don't know that truck month will get much better (maybe someone else can chime in?). For my 2014, I bought it in early December and for my model they were currently doing $9500 in rebates. With the rebates and sale price close to invoice value I got almost $14k off the $49k sticker. My advice is, if you find a Larmie that is just what you want you may be better of snatching the 2014 while you can before you have to get it in a 2015 with less rebates.

Secondly, my 2012 had the 5.0 (if its the same model now). That thing was a pile of junk IMO. The one I had made you do everything with voice commands like BT pairing, and it was just poorly thought out. And loading songs to its built in harddrive was tedious and barely functional. However, I LOVE the 8.4AN in my new truck and wouldn't replace it with aftermarket even if it was free.

Great info, thank you!

Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait it out a few months, as I promoised the wife we'd have the other vehicle paid off before I got the RAM.

I'll plan to get the 8.4 per everyones recommendation. It's only a $500ish option, so if it's that much better, I'll gladly spend the money on it.

As for the Laramie, did some more thinking and research this weekend. I think I'm just going to save a few bucks and get the Big Horn. So, this way 2014 or 2015, doesn't matter what I get as long as I get the price I want and trade in I want.

OP
OP
Rawyzf

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Chrysler Aspen
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with post #5 on all counts. 8.4 is real nice.

I just bought my 2014 Big Horn Crew Cab...46,600 was sticker, got it for 33, 800 and also got them to throw in the navigation for free!

Thank you for that price, I was curious as to how much they'd move on the 2014s.

The 2015 I found I liked was $46170 and thier price before TTL was $37971. Now this price is a few bucks higher than another dealership I looked at, but this price includes a lifetime powertrain warranty. I'm thinking it's worth a few more bucks to have that in my back pocket.

The other dealership price (for comparisions sake) was $45175 and offered a price of $34373.

Not apples to apples, but kind of close. I plan to shop around though, and see where I can find the best deal. 2 dealerships around here offer that lifetime powertrain warranty, so I'll focus on them mostly.

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here.

Tony:head3:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01