New member here, with his second D-series pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dead Reckon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 LA
So I'm Ben, I'm 26, and to summarize who I am, I like cars, all kinds of cars. I like other things too, but my philosophy is, if I have to drive this metal (Not plastic, metal) box to and from work and everywhere else I travel, why can't it be something interesting?

From Sept of 2013 to Sept of 2015 I had a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a SBC 350, wrecked it in August of '15. I had a 1985 Dodge D100 from Oct 2014 to Jan 2015, Diff was coming out of it, trans was slipping, engine was messed up where someone cammed and carbed it, traded the D100 in Jan of 2015 for a 1994 Mercedes E320 wagon, it leaked oil, had a busted engine mount, and a bunch of other issues. That's a car I wish I'd kept, that Merc was a fast little lead sled. But I sold the Merc and fixed the Olds, new carb, distributor, some other crap, I had over 3 grand in the '77 Olds when I wrecked it. I bought a 1979 Delta 88 2dr hard top in January of 2015, didn't get it on the road until August of 2015 when I wrecked my 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88, parted out as much as I could from the '77 Olds, sold what was left, including the engine and trans. Most of the brakes where different, and other stuff, used my Holley carb, the throttle cable, and some other odds and ends. The '79 had a Olds 350, '77 had a SBC 350. Drove the '79 until December when I got fed up of the constant issues where the car had sat for who knows how long, sold it. I had a 2005 Subaru Forester I had bought back in October of '15, sold it in January because the trans went out after I did the timing service. Bought a 1996 Buick Roadmaster in January of '16, still got it, might get rid of it though, trans is slipping, needs a steering pump, tie rod, and some other stuff, but it has a LT1, so it's pretty fun. I also bought back the Chevy 350 and TH350 trans from the '77 Olds back in April or May, or somewhen like that.

This brings me to my latest vehicle. I found it looking for another dirt cheap daily beater. It's a 1984 Dodge D150 "Prospector". It's rough, but I didn't pay much for it, $700, has 144k miles on it, 318 2bbl 727 auto.

It came with four nice Goodyear Wrangler tires, they're only a year old according to the date code, 1st of '15, some kind of 5 slot steel wheels with beauty rings, dunno what they're off of. New brakes front and rear, including soft lines. New upper and lower radiator hoses, some spare trim bits, a spare hood, and some other things I can't remember. Seat cover was custom made by the previous owner, it isn't bad, but I think the seat is the source of the smell, so it's probably going away soon as I find another seat. It's the prospector trim level, so it has factory 5x7 door speakers, a 40 gal fuel tank, and some other cool stuff like intermittent wipers. I'm gonna swap 'em for 6x9's with spacers so I only have to grind a little metal to make the magnet from the 6x9 fit in the door.

Needs a windshield, it's leaking and delaminating, which is atypical of these trucks, drivers side mirror glass too, but I know people so I'm good on that. Also needs valve cover gaskets and a differential cover gasket, but it came with those, so all I've gotta do is put them on. Has some vacuum issues, missing charcoal can, stuff like that. It does need exhaust, but I'm just gonna get a Cherry Bomb shorty 2.5" glasspack and have my preferred exhaust shop put it on. Nothing major wrong with the truck, so I can't wait to get it on the road and drive it.

th_0731161737.jpg
th_0731161738.jpg
th_0731161738b.jpg
th_0731161738d.jpg
th_0731161740.jpg
th_0731161739.jpg

So yeah, I'll finish off by saying I'm not a Chrysler guy, I'm not a Ford guy, I'm not a GM guy, I even put them in alphabetical order to show how unbiased I am. :Big Laugh:

I must admit though, I favor Oldsmobile's, my family had a couple, and I loved that '77, I still kick myself for wrecking it, can't believe I haven't had the car for a year now... Time flies, I really miss that car, Goldie rode on to Valhalla, Shiny and Chrome!

I like cars, especially ones with V8's, don't care about gas mileage, performance can be nice though. But hey, if it runs good, sounds good, I don't care how it looks, can look like hell worn over for all I care. I'll leave you with a thumbnail of all the previous cars I've owned:

The 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88, named Goldie, because she was gold before I spraypainted her black. Also known as The Batmobile by my insurance agent. Had a Chevy 350 4 barrel with a TH350, was a fun car considering it was a stripper model with no power accessories, only had AC. Strange for an Oldsmobile.

th_0606151403b.jpg

The 1985 Dodge D100, simply known as Blue, 318, automatic, don't remember the trans. Might've been a 727.

th_IMG_0167.jpg

The Mercedes E320, which I jokingly called "The Oiled Bullet" because it was silver, and leaked sooo much oil. That straight 6 would hell fly though, lemme tell ya.

th_IMG_0031.jpg

The 1979 Holiday 88, I usually called it Martha because I found the name scribbled on a sticky note in the car, the rest of the note wasn't readable. I liked that car but it was rusty and unreliable. Daily project for sure. She had a 350 Olds V8, with a TH350 auto.

th_1022152244.jpg

The 2005 Subaru Forester, I just called it Rusty, 'cause, well, yeah, it was about as pretty as a pig in slop. 2.5 Naturally aspirated, automatic.

th_1009151322b.jpg

The 1996 Buick Roadmaster, AKA The Mafia Staff Car, I like this car, hate to get rid of it, but I don't want to spend the money to fix it, has an LT1 350 and a 4L60E which is failing.

th_0423161705a.jpg

And you've seen my most recent vehicle, the 1984 D150, so yeah, that's me in a nutshell, rock and roll, heavy metal, loud music, louder exhaust. May it be forever shiny and chrome. :rocking:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum from LA (Lower Alabama)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome!!! Glad your here
Jay