New Member in need of help on purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCWelds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a new 2500 or 3500 ram to replace my dreaded 06 5.4 f-250. The only problem Im having is deciding on the 6.4 hemi, or just to go with the cummins. It will be my dd and I tow a 3500 lb trailer with all my welding equipment on it several days a week, every once in a while I haul 2k lbs in the bed, and in the summer I sometimes tow a trailer with 6-10k lbs on it 30 miles a couple times a week. Would I be happy with the performance of the 6.4 hemi? Or should I just spend the extra $9K and spring for the Cummins? Im planning on keeping my next truck for at least a decade.

Thank you for any thoughts or opinions! Travis

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum from LA (Lower Alabama). Go for the Cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My experience tells me you won't have any problem towing those loads with the 6.4L.

It won't come off a dead stop as well as the Cummins powered truck will and it will not get as good of mileage. Also, diesel prices now are below 92 octane unleaded in my area.

The Cummins maintenance may be a bit more expensive over the long run.

So, spending the $9k will result in somewhat of a fuel mileage benefit but how long it takes to see that payback will depend on how many miles you will drive the truck on an annual basis.

Good luck with your decision.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either will do the job just fine. I'd get the cummins though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you buy the hemi, you will spend the rest of your ownership justifying why it's just as capable as a diesel. If you buy the Cummins, you will know you have the best.

haha

For your needs, the hemi is more than sufficient.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello and welcome to the forum from Boston. As mentioned, get the cummins if you don't mind spending the extra, but it's not needed for what you listed.

OP
OP
T

TCWelds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys for your input and the welcomes, I think I will probably go with the cummins. I'm planning on keeping the truck for quite a while so I may need the extra power later on as my business grows. The minute the warranty is up Im planning on doing full deletes to keep things simpler.

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for joining
Tony