New Member, New Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,

New guy here, just wanted to finally check in. I have been reading through the threads for a few weeks, and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge, and member's willingness to share info. Even after doing a LOT of reading over the internet prior to purchase, there is still a learning curve. This site is most helpful.

My current vehicle (replacement for old Silverado) is a 2014 quad cab express, 1500, 5.7, 4x4, 6 spd. 3.55. Seems pretty decent so far, wanted to find one with limited slip, but this met most of my requirements, so hopefully it will do what I need to do.

My dilemma right now is shopping for a used 20" wheel so I can carry a 2nd full-size spare. After lowering and raising the OEM spare, I can see I will need a faster way to change a tire. Not to mention, the so-called full-size spare is actually undersize (slightly) compared to the stock 275 60R 20 tires. This might be ok across town, but I may need to drive 100 miles to get a tire fixed, and don't want that uneven wear on the differential.

Thanks again, and appreciate the helpful comments.

steve s.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Funny the trucks with 20s come with a none matching spare ?
My truck has the exact same spare tire as the other 4 17" tires on the truck.

I would not worry about driving on a spare that is smaller than the rest I see people driving on those little donuts all the time.
If you had a spool or maybe a real locker then maybe I would worry about a height difference.
JMO.

Planning on getting alot of flats..lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steve s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny the trucks with 20s come with a none matching spare ?
My truck has the exact same spare tire as the other 4 17" tires on the truck.

I would not worry about driving on a spare that is smaller than the rest I see people driving on those little donuts all the time.
If you had a spool or maybe a real locker then maybe I would worry about a height difference.
JMO.

Planning on getting alot of flats..lol

The backroads and 2-tracks in Nevada and Arizona can be pretty unforgiving - especially on tires. It's common to have a 30 - 40 mile drive just to pavement, then at least that distance to get to a main highway or the interstate (80 mph). So best to have a tire/wheel combo. that mostly matches. Otherwise, I agree, for a short distance the difference in diameter would not be an issue.

steve s.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome and congrat's on the new to you truck. Any pictures????
Jay

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome