New Ram, New Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, my name is Jim and I live in Central Florida. I am retired from the US Navy and Kennedy Space Center. Hobbies are old & new motorcycles, cars, and trucks which brings me to my new Ram Tradesman with the 5.7 option.

I have older trucks and my DD was a '81 F100 with the big six and manual trans. Good old truck, but I travel a fair amount and needed something better and started looking for a standard cab short bed with a V8. Except for Ram, they basically don't exist except as special order. I had had a '05 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7L and really liked it, but let it go as it had a ton of miles and needed some work; I kinda wish I had done the work now, but the memory of that car made me want to look at Ram pickups and I found this truck locally at a great price and made the deal.

It is the bottom of the options with manual windows, locks, mirrors, and no carpet, but has great AC, cruise, and of course that Hemi engine and 8 sp trans. The dial transmission control is taking a bit of getting used to, but I like it. I only have ~250 miles on it so far. I am a minimalist as far as style and what I consider clean looks, and this truck fits perfectly with that in mind.

The first mod was tinted windows - a big deal where I live. I like white trucks as they're cooler. Plans are to lower it - still researching the best way, but probably 2/4. I'd like to find some stock take off 5 spoke wheels. 17" would be cheapest, but I also like 20". Not sure on that yet as again, still researching and looking for deals.

On performance improvement, I see many love the pedal commander so I may give that a try. I have to be careful with the warranty so no tunes/PCM/TCM mods, but will look at other things like exhaust, CAI, and ?. I'm spending a lot of my spare time now reading the forum to see what works and more importantly, what I like and would be best for my situation.

Anyway, great to be here. The first place I look to is a great forum with the people that actually drive and improve their trucks, and I can see this is it. Looking forward to participating where I can. I promise I'll try and research first and only ask if I can't find or need clarification on something.

http://www.ramforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=93874&stc=1&d=1509723281

Attachments

• RamHemi.jpg
    RamHemi.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
  • RamHemi1.jpg
    RamHemi1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 16

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the group, enjoy retirement and the new ride. :favorites13:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Ocala ! :wave:

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the fam fellow shipmate! I was in the US Navy as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum from LA (Lower Alabama)

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome! Quite the exciting career...enjoy the new Ram!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome and I really love that you are starting out with the minimum and only adding what you feel that you’re in need of. I’m assuming that it’s a 2017 ?

Father Of Four

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WELCOME from Maine

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and I really love that you are starting out with the minimum and only adding what you feel that you’re in need of. I’m assuming that it’s a 2017 ?

Father Of Four

Hi, yes, new 2017. I looked at used but they all either/both were too much $$ and high miles it seemed. The end of the yr deals especially on these standard cab models were pretty good if they've sat around long enough.

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum from LA (Lower Alabama)

The Real LA! I cut up through Dothan - Montgomery - Birmingham from time to time when headed to the PNW or other places North and West of where I live. I've been trying to find a better workaround than Dothan and Montgomery but no good routes that I like so far. There's always next trip tho...

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! Quite the exciting career...enjoy the new Ram!

I'd still be at KSC but end of shuttle put a lot of us out; I was fortunate to be able to retire. Things are picking up out there but I know a lot of people have struggled in the last 5+ yrs, and things aren't what they used to be. At least I can see launches from my house.

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELCOME from Maine

Thank you! I've been to Maine a time or two, but no closer than Vermont in a while. I have in laws in NY Adirondacks so get up there every other yr or so.

About 10 yrs ago I stumbled on a small restaurant in Maine and had the best meal I think I've ever had. Way more than I should have ate, but dang, it was all so good!