New in town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just bought my first truck last weekend. Went with a CPO 2015 Ram1500 Quad Cab with the 3.6. I have a lengthy commute (75 miles one way) and so far I am very impressed with the gas mileage. Getting better returns than my previous car which was a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. Looking forward to more discussions and learning more about this truck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
congrats. enjoy your new ride.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
congrats on the new truck. Those pentastar V6's are pretty nice motors. Not surprising you're getting better MPG than the Hyundai. Heard they and their Kia twins are pretty bad on gas.

now post a pic of your truck before you get tarred and feathered by the other members!

OP
OP
Z

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
congrats on the new truck. Those pentastar V6's are pretty nice motors. Not surprising you're getting better MPG than the Hyundai. Heard they and their Kia twins are pretty bad on gas.

now post a pic of your truck before you get tarred and feathered by the other members!

I'll get one when I get home in the morning, just installed the side steps a couple of days ago.

The problem with the Hyundai motor is that the car was heavy (3800 lbs curb weight) with a underpowered 2.7L V6 (185HP). My wifes 2013 Grand Caravan weighs 500 lbs more but also has 100 more HP and torque. I always thought a truck was out of the question for me due to my commute, but when I saw the Ram could be equipped with the V6 and saw the gas mileage they were getting, it was hard to not justify getting one. I don't tow anything and my hauling is limited to basic Home Depot runs (just bought a house in November, so many Home Depot runs), so the V6 made the most sense.

I grew up driving trucks and learned how to drive on a 1987 GMC Sierra (I wish I had that truck), and now a lifelong boyhood dream has come true. Thanks for the welcome.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ha! I bought a house about 4 years ago and the guys at home depot know me when I walk in now. Pretty much rebuilt my entire house from the studs. almost finally done. Definitely join their pro-rewards if you're there often. Not much discount but better than nothing.

as a home owner, that truck of yours will definitely earn its keep. enjoy!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Congrats and welcome!
I bought my 2013 RAM 1500 SLT CC 4x4 (v6/8spd) for the same reasons Mar2014 and couldn't be happier with it. Now at 30k miles. Other than the mods from this site that I keep doing or planning to do ...

Done: Convert to the Ra4 nav radio, add steering wheel audio controls, OEM backup cam, remote start, hitch, Bak Roll-X tonneau cover, wireless Qi charger w/hidden power, OEM mud guards.

Still to do: add front cam & screen mirroring, steps (Amp research or Mopar), fog lights with OEM switch, heated wheel/seats, horizontal chrome grill insert swap, Mopar kicker speaker upgrade.

Probably more I'm missing. Glad to see more people with positive feedback about the Pentastar setup. Have fun and get involved!

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Congrats and welcome!
I bought my 2013 RAM 1500 SLT CC 4x4 (v6/8spd) for the same reasons Mar2014 and couldn't be happier with it. Now at 30k miles. Other than the mods from this site that I keep doing or planning to do ...

Done: Convert to the Ra4 nav radio, add steering wheel audio controls, OEM backup cam, remote start, hitch, Bak Roll-X tonneau cover, wireless Qi charger w/hidden power, OEM mud guards.

Still to do: add front cam & screen mirroring, steps (Amp research or Mopar), fog lights with OEM switch, heated wheel/seats, horizontal chrome grill insert swap, Mopar kicker speaker upgrade.

Probably more I'm missing. Glad to see more people with positive feedback about the Pentastar setup. Have fun and get involved!

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

I'm not huge into modifying things since we are a single income with a family of 5 and money is going towards home upgrades. However, the side steps I installed have helped immensely. I have 3 kids all under 8 (8, 5, and 2) and the little ones couldn't climb in the back when I pick them up for school, and school car rider lines are vicious. Took me an hour and a half working in the dark while raining (I was excited to get them on...thanks mom for the birthday present).

Upcoming plans are:

Some form of toolbox, I need a dry place to keep some items and with the kids all in some form of car seat under the seats aren't really an option.

Backup camera

Seat covers for back seat (kids are messy)

stubby antenna

Spray in bedliner (still debating on this one)

trailer hitch

replacing stock bulbs with better bulbs, headlights are weak.

I plan on owning this truck for at least the next 10 years, but if I keep my current commute thats nearly 40,000 miles a year just in back and forth to work. If it makes it 10 years thats almost 500,000 miles, so we shall see.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Welcome and Congrats on your new truck.. I have had my 2015 a few months now and the V6 has enough power for me! My MPG avg is 20mpg rural driving and 22 MPG highway, IMO pretty good for a full size truck :favorites13: back up camera is a must have IMO as I can not see the back bumper :O My camera being installed today at the dealer ! $500.00 installed, Cheaper then a new bumper or fixing someone's car lol , I would also add RAM Slush Mats or another brand rubber floor mats

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm not huge into modifying things since we are a single income with a family of 5 and money is going towards home upgrades.

I plan on owning this truck for at least the next 10 years, but if I keep my current commute thats nearly 40,000 miles a year just in back and forth to work. If it makes it 10 years thats almost 500,000 miles, so we shall see.

Welcome and congrats.

I wouldn't even consider the Spray in liner at this point, a truck is supposed to be worked. In 10 years and hundreds of thousands of miles a few scratches in the bed will make ZERO difference in the value of the truck and you have a family and home to invest in.

Also, as a musician, I've found most things are easier to load and unload without damaging and scratching your "stuff" without the liner.

I too keep a lot of tools in my truck tool box, as I also have a cabin in the woods to work on. I am thinking about Ram Boxes on my next one, but they are hard to find except on the upper trims.

Best of luck in your new adventures, you are at a great time of your life.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on your new truck, you'll love the Pentastar motor

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Two modifications that I did to my truck that I think you might value are the swing out tool box and the Dee Zee Tailgate Assist. I love em! Not terribly expensive and very, very easy to install. I installed two. Here is a link.
https://www.realtruck.com/swing-cas...uctid=969686&gclid=CNPE0ey3hdICFZuPswodsk4CaA

The other is the Dee Zee Tailgait Assist. It's also easy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUF74HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another item that I'm glad I installed are Weathertech floor mats. I'm am amazed at how much crap it collects, particularly water from melted snow.

Lastly, if you plan on keeping it for 10 years, you may want to consider an extended warranty. I'm considering getting the lifetime warranty for mine. If interested, you'd have to investigate if your truck qualifies.

Yea, I'm impressed with my 3.6. I don't do any towing and find that it provides plenty of power for my needs.

Good luck!

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upcoming plans are:

Look at a BedRug. Will save your knees and help keep stuff from sliding around. First thing I bought with current truck and with last truck.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck. Good choice in motor as you would have spent a lot more feeding a hemi in your commute. Plus you would be replacing rear tires more often as well.:naughty:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum from LA (Lower Alabama).d43010b7c83e93fb9fa97c1550be097e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the warm welcome. Here is the obligatory pic of the truck

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg