Talk me into a Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Greetings everyone. I am in the market for a brand new truck....finally. I get a supplier discount for Chevy, ford and dodge. I will admit that until this point I have been strictly Ford. I figured if I'm going to spend in the 40k range that I would do my research before I buy.

I started off taking a Ford F150 XLT 5.0 for a test ride. The deal was right especially with the discount and I really liked the truck. one thing I didn't like was the height of the bed. Even at 6 feet 3 it's kinda awkward to reach over the side of the bed and touch the bottom of the bed.

Last week I went to look at a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3. Similar power and ride but I really didn't like the interior. And my supplier discount wasn't as good as it was with Ford.

Yesterday I test drove a ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7. OMG....Is this really only 50 hp more than the ford and Chevy? My first thought was omg this is a monster. With that monster unleashed via the gas pedal the ride was almost night and day better than the 2 previous test rides. The Ram took off like a muscle car compared to the others but handled like a Cadillac by comparison. And the ram was a really different color. Maximum steel. The interior was much much nicer with the ram. I would get a leather interior with the Ram as opposed to a decent cloth interior in the Ford or an Interior that I really thought was cheap in the chevy. I will admit that the only thing I didn't like in the Ram was the knob shifter? Not sure if I could get used to that?

So....I'm glad to be part of the site and if you guys can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yesterday I test drove a ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7. OMG....Is this really only 50 hp more than the ford and Chevy? My first thought was omg this is a monster. With that monster unleashed via the gas pedal the ride was almost night and day better than the 2 previous test rides. The Ram took off like a muscle car compared to the others but handled like a Cadillac by comparison. And the ram was a really different color. Maximum steel. The interior was much much nicer with the ram. I would get a leather interior with the Ram as opposed to a decent cloth interior in the Ford or an Interior that I really thought was cheap in the chevy. I will admit that the only thing I didn't like in the Ram was the knob shifter? Not sure if I could get used to that?

I think you just talked youself into it right there ^^^! Lol

Welcome to RF! :favorites13:

I have owned 3x F150s, 1x Nissan Titan, many cars and now this is my 2nd Ram. For me, no other truck has the "fun factor" that the Ram does, and no other truck looks better while having fun, than the Ram. Just my .02

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard man. And it sounds like your sold on the Ram to me.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
DODGE RAM......NUF SAID!

if you go with chevy get it with the 6.2 v8.......lots of power w/o cost of diesel

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you like the Ram better than the Ford it is over. They are really the only nice trucks out there right now. Ram changed the game with the 4th gen and once they added the 8 speed transmission I don't feel they can be beat except in payload. Just make sure the Ram 1500 has enough payload for your needs if not jump up into the 2500.

$miley

RedNBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
David hit it... you talked yourself into the truck!

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like you already answered your own question. ;)

You get used to the shifter knob pretty quick. I actually really like it now.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i honestly think the knob is worth getting used to just because of how awesome those 8 speed transmissions are turning out to be

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I was a chevy guy

They were too expensive, and don't get me wrong very very nice trucks, but I went with the ram ride and the new 3.6l engine, it is a great v6 for a truck. I get more power, better ride and a nice interior (even for the base model).

I test drove all thre (ford, chev, dodge) ford was way too rough of a ride, chevy was too expensive (their base model is really crappy for a truck) and the dodge just downright impressive,

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You've already done all the "talking into" that is needed. PLUS: dollar for dollar, you will get more options out of the Ram than for a comprably priced competitor.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had one F150, the rest have been GM's in some sort, truck or SUV. This was my first Dodge Ram. I am glad and havent looked back. At the time, I wanted a RCSB truck with a V8. So Chevy had the Silverado with the 4.8, very few I could find had 5.3 in a shortbed and I think 17's. Then, it had disc brakes up front, drums in the rear. So I saw the Express. 5.7 Hemi, factory dual exhaust, 20's, and disc/disc...sold.....

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Welcome to the site.

Tony

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have only ever owned two trucks and yup they were/are the Ram Sport rcsb 4x4 Hemi's a 2010 and the current 2014. As far as cornering I find all trucks except the real performance models wallow so when entering a hairpin I just slower down and it works out very well. Again only two trucks and both Ram's, nuff said lol

OP
OP
O

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the responses guys. You are all correct. I think I did talk myself into it. Honestly the knob shifter was the only drawback that I could find. I went into the Dodge not knowing what to expect from an 8 speed trans but I was really surprised how well it performs.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
when i was buying my truck i knew i wanted a Ram, but i went and drove all the other trucks as well, Chevy, Ford.

for the price i paid for my brand new truck, i could not have gotten a Ford or Chevy anywhere near as equipped as my Ram for the price. It is the best truck and the best bang for your buck.

RAM FTW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956