Tundra Owner Thinking about going to the Dark Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riccnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Toyota Tundra
Engine
5.7L iForce
My name is Nick and I currently have a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7. I LOVE this truck and it has treated me very well. I've put some hard miles on it and it just puts up with it without complaint. I've been toying with the idea of a new truck recently and I honestly am not as in love with the new Tundra as I am with mine. Its the same truck, but uglier and with fewer features. Kinda lame if you ask me. I drove a Ram Rebel with the Hemi a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty great. I also drove a Laramie with the Hemi as well after that. Never thought I'd own a Ram, but hot damn they are nice trucks! I'm here do do a little research about them before I go making a $50,000 mistake, lol. My options are to pay off my Tundra before the end of the year ($13,000 payoff), and keep it with 129,000 miles on it, or, buy something new with some toys in it and have a payment again for another six years. (Also looking into leasing). Anyway, thanks for having me here and I look forward to checking out some trucks!

Attachments

• 20170701_171007645_iOS.jpg
    20170701_171007645_iOS.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170701_173358084_iOS.jpg
    20170701_173358084_iOS.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170701_174128137_iOS.jpg
    20170701_174128137_iOS.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170704_175541093_iOS.jpg
    20170704_175541093_iOS.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome! Nice looking truck.

Hey, I thought 'going Toyota' was considered going to the Dark Side? Ha, Ha. :)
Toyota in my Toyota-owning experience makes a great truck. I don't know your year Tundra well, but traditionally, what Toyota does well are small design details that make their vehicles last a long, long time (which most of the big-3 cut corners). That was especially true with the older Tacomas where they had things like dual wrap (military wrap) springs, oversized bearings, heavier axles, heavier u-joints and driveshafts, all the exhaust/cables/items tucked up nice and tight to the frame (not hanging down where they could get caught on branches or damaged off-road), multi-piston calipers (when everyone else was going 'cheap'), additional brackets to hold cables and exhaust so they don't rattle loose in the back woods ....and tons of other little details which go unknown to the average owner which, added together, yielded an overall more robust vehicle that generally outlast other rigs. I recall looking at the original Tundras how they had more cross members, stronger frame, larger brakes ....and a lot of other little details to make a 'better' (in Toyota's eyes) product. The drive train was practically indestructible! Consequently their vehicles cost a little more too. Those 'Extras' are probably items which will be noticed a lot more if the truck is used in extreme duty applications, or when it gets up to 250k miles when most of the competitor's trucks have worn out and are in the junk yard. But I haven't kept up on the new Tundras, and for people who trade often, those additional 'extras' don't really come into play.

On to Ram trucks, one good thing about Toyotas, is when they decided to make a 'real' full-sized truck they put the industry on notice and make each mfgr look at and 'improve' their product. So, some of the 'extras' Toyota used to be in a group of 1 with have sort of trickled down to the domestics. If you look at the 07 and up GMs, for example, there are a lot of improvements. Same with Rams and things like hydro-formed frame rails, rear plastic fender liners, dual piston calipers and so on. I'm coming from GM trucks. I looked all the domestics over well with a mechanic's eye and found a lot to like with Rams moreso than the others. I didn't get around to comparing them to Tundras but compared to Fords and GMs I think Dodge makes a superior product. Definitely the 5.7 is a 'strong' engine! The ride is excellent. I have high mileage on mine and it drove as well as GMs/Fords with 40k fewer miles. But that's just coming from my perspective.

As for what you should do, I guess you know your finances better. What do you do with your truck now? Do you need more seats, towing capacity, hauling capacity ..what are the main things you will do with it? Beyond that, keep looking and see if you find something you particularly like and what deal you can get ...go from there. When you go to trade off the Ram in 7 years it probably won't have the resale your Tundra has, but right now Rams do seem to be holding value pretty well. I'm surprised how man Ram's I see on the road now that I own one!

Last edited:

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
First off, I think real trucks have at least 6 lugs. I cannot understand how the Tacoma has 6, but the tundra only has 5. Also, Toyota tends to run on their reliability reputation and do little else. They keep designs for too long and prices too high for old outdated designs. In a comparison test I saw recently on all the full size half tons, the magazine made note the tundra was just old. It didn't hold up anymore to the newly designed American trucks. I give credit where credit is due, and one of the reviewers did note that the ancient ride and handling character could easily be fixed with some aftermarket upgrade shocks like bilstein. This was even on the latest off road package that should be top notch off the lot. However, what the review is stock, not speculating aftermarket possibilities. So it came dead last in the matchup