***Clunking in the front end after Bilstein install ..***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey all current setup is a 6" zone suspension lift...I just added Bilstein adjustables in the front to level the truck out....I know my passenger side outer tie rod boot is ripped and broken... Getting a new one tomorrow...but besides that I don't know what it can be? I hear a bit of a clunk when turning and hitting bumps...it just sounds awful...any ideas ? Truck needs an alignment still....

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
did you install yourself? I would verify that the top was was installed in the right location.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
^^^^
oops lol...yes i did mean "top washer"

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you torque the nut on the strut posts? I had a rattle/clunk on mine after I installed them and this was the problem. Luckily, you can get to the nut through the engine bay, so you dont have to take everything back off. Pass through sockets make it a lot easier, but I was able to manage with a pair vice grips on a std length socket and a allen socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue. Although I'm not lifted 6" I just have the bils set a 2.8. Only when I turn left a get a clunk sound from the right side. Everything is good and tights and installed properly. Even jacked the truck up to see if I messed the balljoint up but there is no movement whatsoever. So I'm stumped as to what is making the noise. Only when I turn. Not even on bumps.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it more dominant turning left or right? Are you 100% certain that everything is tight on the strut towers as well the main bolt is correct for the bilstein strut. At full lock check your ball joints. Even though they might be tight you may have not have seated them. At full lock you will see them pulling away from the control arm.

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it more dominant turning left or right? Are you 100% certain that everything is tight on the strut towers as well the main bolt is correct for the bilstein strut. At full lock check your ball joints. Even though they might be tight you may have not have seated them. At full lock you will see them pulling away from the control arm.

Turning left. I don't hear or feel anything when turning right. I'm going to double check everything. But I'm sure it's all tight. When installing the right side I couldn't get the balljoint free so I just pulled the upper control arm. Hope in the process I didn't mess the joint up.

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the CV is binding up because of the new geometry induced by the lift, they can go to **** within 50 miles or less. I currently have a bad CV because of my lift, got new ones on the way. I have a lot of play on the inner where it goes to the diff. A little in and out play is okay (I think) but if you put your hand on the inner joint and can rock it up and down, front tp back. Thats no good. This may not be your issue but it sounds like the issue I have. Hope this helps.