1500 2WD 3" Spindle Lift + 1.5" Rear Spring Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First post here. I bought my 2010 1500 with 2" lowering springs and actually really dug it. I originally wanted to buy some SRT10 wheels to complete the look, but I enjoyed going out to the desert and thrashing the truck around once in a while. However, the last time I went out, I thrashed a little too hard and wrecked the front bumper and a few other bits and pieces. So I wanted to lift it, but only slightly. I didn't want to lift it to some ridiculous height that I would never need. Only wanted some decent ground clearance. After doing some research, I decided to go with the Chassiswork 3" front lift spindles for 3rd gen 1500's and the Icon rear 1.5" lift coil springs. I decided to go with the 3" lift spindle instead of the 4.5" from CST because it was significantly cheaper and I thought the 4.5" would give me a Cali-lean. Here's what I encountered and where the truck started:

NewSeats%20004_zpsrq6ttnl0.jpg

So after getting the old, stock spindle off, here is what it looks like in comparison to the 3" lift spindle:

20150811_172238_RichtoneHDR_resized_zpsrqnn1qbr.jpg

But here's the problem:

20150811_175129_RichtoneHDR_resized_zps9dcftd6e.jpg

As you can see, the spindle hits the sway bar end link and prevents full lock of the steering wheel when the suspension is fully extended. While I didn't see how it doesn't necessarily hit when the truck is on the ground with weight on the suspension, I didn't want to take any risks. The spindle is iron, so cutting a little bit off isn't going to weaken it much. Below shows how I fixed it, using a Sawzall and Dremel in order to make the cut, though it would be easier with a large cutoff wheel.

Also, you will have to swap the brake line from the right side with the one on the left, and the left with the right, and you will have to extend your tie rods to adjust the toe on the wheels. The lift really pulls the toe in. Just get it straight enough to drive to an alignment shop.

20150812_152025_RichtoneHDR_resized_zpsrufco60i.jpg

After you get everything to fit up front, I installed the Icon springs, and adjustable track bar from Spohn, and a set of 2.0 Fox shocks in the rear.

20150904_124513_RichtoneHDR_resized_zps2yapqq3e.jpg

All-in-all, I kind of wish I had gone with the CST 4.5" spindle in order to better level the truck, plus it probably would've fit better. But I did save a couple hundred bucks with the Chassisworks, so there's that. Plus, I want to go long-travel suspension eventually, so better that I spend a little now to save for more later. It does ride and look great though, but my gas mileage has definitely suffered. I can't wait to take it back out to Ocotillo to compare it to stock!

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just run your truck without the "anti" sway bar. I've done it on a couple of my trucks including my Ram. It allows the suspension to flex and move independently. It will lean a bit on turns.

OP
OP
sandiego74

sandiego74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size tires are those?

They are the stock 265/65/17 tires. I haven't had problems with this size offroad, so I'm not sure if I want to go bigger because of the need to then retune, regear, etc. Probably will go wider, though.

I'm pretty sure I want to keep the sway bar. This is my daily driver and I'd rather keep it for now.

I do, however, want to lift the front a bit more. I see CST makes a 3" lift coil spring. Does anyone have experience with this spring? Would I need to buy longer-travel upper control arms?