1.5 or 3in body lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisc75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So right now im on a 6in lift with 2.8 bilsteins on 20x12 35s. I wanna go bigger! cant decide on doing a 1.5 or a 3in body lift. my 35s are brand new so ill be keep those for awhile. Any pro and cons of either size? also any brand recommendations would help as well. Thanks!

heres my current setup. any pictures of body lifts on a 6in in with 35s would be really helpful!

ram1_1.jpg

ram%202.jpg

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
personally i think it looks great the way it is and i would leave it, but if your set on more lift, i would go with the 1.5". 3" is going to make the 35's look to small, imo.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
personally i think it looks great the way it is and i would leave it, but if your set on more lift, i would go with the 1.5". 3" is going to make the 35's look to small, imo.

Agreed

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree. Also, if you plan to go with larger tires in the future just be aware of the added cost. A gearing change is almost a 100% must. Not to mention the added maintenance cost do to increased wear and tear on front end components.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you look at my profile and go under my photo albums, you will see my truck which has a 6" suspension and 1.5" body lift on it with 37's. I have to agree with the others and say that a 3" will make those 35's look really small. Plus, I don't know how much law enforcement effects your decision, but of me, a 3" would have put me over the legal bumper height limits for my state.

If you're putting the body lift on yourself, I HIGHLY recommend a second pair of hands to help hold/support bumpers and other heavy components during the lift. :). Let me know if you have any questions.

picture.php

picture.php

Adam

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chrisc75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah ive been leaning towards the 1.5. I just want something alittle bit more im not going for 37s as of right now but is the 1.5 even gonna be noticeable?

as far as the labor im not worried about it. im a mechanic by trade and have my own lift and done multiple body lifts for customers (mainly chevy and fords)

main thing im wonderig is the bumpers and rear exhuast. Im new to the ram brand and havnt messed with a exhuast setup like that for a body lift. im assuming i would have to tweek it to get it to fit flush with the bumper?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave it . Any taller and you will be dwarfing the tires just as the red truck with 37s. Its an endless cycle if you are not careful. Its fine line between just right and back to the tires look to short again.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Leave it . Any taller and you will be dwarfing the tires just as the red truck with 37s. Its an endless cycle if you are not careful. Its fine line between just right and back to the tires look to short again.

Just curious.... are you saying that my 37's are too small for my setup? I'm just curious because if that's the case, you're definitely the first to say that. :)

Adam

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir. The pic in your signature taken from the ground don't show it as much . The pics in your 12.04 post gives a much better look being they are from a higher height . Its not anything you can do much about because of the way the fenders are made today on most all of the newer trucks . All kinds of space above the tires but none front and rear. It seems you can fit 35" tires with a leveling kit but go with a tire 2" taller than 35s and it seems like you have to lift so high the tires don't look like 37"s any more. Keeping lift to a minimum makes the tires look larger . Fender flares give a similar effect by making the body look bigger which in turn makes the tires look smaller. I think a lot of my opinion comes from growing up in a time when 7-8" of lift and you could fit 40s or better. That's the proportion I like . It just what you are used to and at my age I spent a lot of time with the vehicles with big wheel openings . Hell my Last Wrangler had 37s with only a few inch of lift (2012 JK ) different vehicle yes but still the same proportions I just mentioned ( big wheel well openings ) .

OP
OP
C

chrisc75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i think the 1.5 will be just right. i dont think it will be "dwarfing" the wheels at all. yesterday i got to compare the truck to a customers f150 we did awhile back. hes sitting on a 6in procomp lift with a 3 body on 35s with the same offset as me. i personally dont think his looks dwarfed at all. i was actually shocked how close we were height wise

ram%20f150%201.jpg

ram%20f150%202.jpg

only dwarft setup ive actually really seen is a excurison we did and thats mainly because theres not a strret tire big enough for his size yet its a exccursion sitting on 24s on a 40in tire. hes waiting for toyo to realease a 44in streetable tire in 24s brett%201.jpg

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes sir. The pic in your signature taken from the ground don't show it as much . The pics in your 12.04 post gives a much better look being they are from a higher height . Its not anything you can do much about because of the way the fenders are made today on most all of the newer trucks . All kinds of space above the tires but none front and rear. It seems you can fit 35" tires with a leveling kit but go with a tire 2" taller than 35s and it seems like you have to lift so high the tires don't look like 37"s any more. Keeping lift to a minimum makes the tires look larger . Fender flares give a similar effect by making the body look bigger which in turn makes the tires look smaller. I think a lot of my opinion comes from growing up in a time when 7-8" of lift and you could fit 40s or better. That's the proportion I like . It just what you are used to and at my age I spent a lot of time with the vehicles with big wheel openings . Hell my Last Wrangler had 37s with only a few inch of lift (2012 JK ) different vehicle yes but still the same proportions I just mentioned ( big wheel well openings ) .

Totally understand where you're coming from. I mean, i could fit bigger tires to fill the wheel well, but I don't like that look. If you look at my truck head-on, the tires stick out 1.5-2" from the stock fender. I have the flares covering them to keep everything legal in PA. I was just curious on your thoughts.

picture.php

OP; I believe ou will be fine with the 1.5" BL as well. I think with your offset and wheel width, you would be fine. Definitely don't go with a 3" unless you plan on getting some 37's or larger.

Adam

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i think the 1.5 will be just right. i dont think it will be "dwarfing" the wheels at all. yesterday i got to compare the truck to a customers f150 we did awhile back. hes sitting on a 6in procomp lift with a 3 body on 35s with the same offset as me. i personally dont think his looks dwarfed at all. i was actually shocked how close we were height wise

9" of lift on a ford is going to look different then 9" of lift on a ram, and they will both look different then 9" of lift on a chevy. cant really go by that.

OP
OP
C

chrisc75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
9" of lift on a ford is going to look different then 9" of lift on a ram, and they will both look different then 9" of lift on a chevy. cant really go by that.

Ofcourse it will. 9 inches of lift is still 9 inches of lift tho. i was simplying compare the two and the gap with the 35in tires. i dont think it would look bad with an additonal 1.5 body lift. Maybe thats my opion and everyone is entitled to their own