2014 Ram 1500 Clunking Noise :confused:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martinuresti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get a clunking noise when i turn or go over bump. I was looking uder the truck and notice this? Does anyone know what could have caused this? It seem to be rubbing on the lower control arms? Could that be the reason for the clunking noise? :confused:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 209

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
When was your lift and Bilsteins installed? First thing I'd be checking is the location of the washer on the strut assembly. Many people install it in the wrong location which will cause the clunking sound you are talking about. It is meant to go on the shock shaft BEFORE the upper spring hardware. Not after against the nut as many people make the mistake of doing.

OP
OP
martinuresti

martinuresti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When was your lift and Bilsteins installed? First thing I'd be checking is the location of the washer on the strut assembly. Many people install it in the wrong location which will cause the clunking sound you are talking about. It is meant to go on the shock shaft BEFORE the upper spring hardware. Not after against the nut as many people make the mistake of doing.

I had both installed on the 24th of December. The noise started about 3 weeks ago i wanna say. I made an appointment with the place that lifted my truck for tuesday.

What do you think is causing the lower control arms to be doing (whats on the pictures).?

RamminJammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sway bar end links I would bet money on it. I had the same problem you discribed down to a T.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I had issues with my steering knuckles hitting my lower control arms. just shaved a little away on the lower control arms and no problems at all.

OP
OP
martinuresti

martinuresti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sway bar end links I would bet money on it. I had the same problem you discribed down to a T.

So I went Tuesday and that was it. lol All that clunking was coming from the right side one. Thanks guys for all your inputs! :waytogo:

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to hear! I have had issues with my sway bar in the past, so I removed it completely. The truck handles better, IMO. It does lean a bit more on corners.

Pit Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, someone beat me to it.. when I installed my lift on my Wrangler I had the same exact thing.. I was getting through the comments to make sure no one had said what it was but looks like they got it covered. Did they mention how they handled the problem? I believe my shop just grinded it down slightly so the sway bar wouldn't hit it… did they say? Just curious...

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, someone beat me to it.. when I installed my lift on my Wrangler I had the same exact thing.. I was getting through the comments to make sure no one had said what it was but looks like they got it covered. Did they mention how they handled the problem? I believe my shop just grinded it down slightly so the sway bar wouldn't hit it… did they say? Just curious...

Curious about how they fixed it as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334