2014 Ram Express leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I am a little confused here about some things concerning leveling my truck. I am going with the bilsteins adjustable 5100s in the front (24-187367) and the 5100 rears for the back (24-187374). I have read umpteen forum posts about the UCA issues in leveling trucks. Some say they have seen bilsteins have problems some say they never do. I have talked to Bilstein and was told that if you use the stock coils and shock mounts the geometry of the UCA does not change. He said that some people use a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer with the bilstein shocks to get a 4" lift and in doing so wrecks the aforementioned geometry. Otherwise there is no problem.

Now the way I understand it, the factory UCAs are just fine unless you use a spacer. So my question is those of you who have had problems with UCA issue on 13 and up Rams, while using Bilsteins, did you also use a spacer of any type?

Is it just a good idea to change out the UCAs regardless if you are changing tires sizes and leveling?

I appreciate all you guys opinions, I guess I am just looking for someone who actually had these issues happen to them using Bilsteins and fixed them with new UCAs, and not just read about it on a forum.

If I do go with UCAs I will go for Zones more than likely because I am told Mevotechs are same as OEM, whereas Zones are redesigned to correct geometry offsets from the 13 and up redesign.

Is there anything I am getting wrong? :roflsquared:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Same question from me...I would like to have a more solid answer on this.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do what makes you feel good. Because some here will tell you that you need Mevotech, and some will tell you (like myself) you don't, and some just installed them to be "safe". Just like everyone insisted I needed spacers for my 35s. I didn't. I have over 10k miles, with alot of bouncy offroading and no ball joint issues.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You shouldn't need new UCA'S if you set the bilsteins at 2.1. I have heard of guys having issues when they're set at 2.8 though. You can swap then to be safe, but if you do go with Mevotechs. They're much heavier an much stronger than stock. 20,000 kms on mine so far and no issues.

Chipmaker keeps telling people he doesn't need spacers for his 35's. But take this with a grain of salt. Not all 35's are the same width. For example mine are 13" wide with the sidewall tread. There is no way they'd fit without spacers. Chipmaker must have some skinnier mounted 35's.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you have a part number for the Mevotechs you mention?

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard of guys having issues when they're set at 2.8 though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Exactly the OP's point. I heard this, I heard that. The only busted BJ picture I saw on here was a Mevotech.

One would think some of yall own stock in Mevotech...

Yep, 35 x 12.5 on stockers w/ no spacers.

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
I would think that a Bils Shock set at 2.1 is less than a spacer at 2.5 inches so yeah, less chance of damage. But how does a spacer at 2.5 make more damage than a shock at 2.8? So basically a spacer works the stock shock more causing the shock to wear out, right?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm at 2.8, no mevotechs. Had them for about a month though, everything looks like it did stock under there.

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I went ahead and just installed the bilsteins front and rear with the front set at 2.1 with no change to the UCAs. Gives me about .5 inch rake to the front (which is fine by me). I'm gonna keep a watch on the UCAs of course but I cannot begin to tell you guys how much better my truck drives and takes bumps.

I will say this: whether or not they provide a solution to a problem or not, the Mevotechs and esp the Zone UCAs are hell and gone more beefier than stock. I couldnt detect any change in geometry of the balljoints but time will tell. It may simply be a matter of different circumstances between trucks, but for mine I saw no reason to change my UCAs. I will report back if that changes. Thanks to everyone who posted!!

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a part number for the Mevotechs you mention?

MEVOTECH CMS251057 - front left

MEVOTECH CMS251058- front right

SitKneelBend - these are the upper control arms for a 2014 Ram 1500 I noticed no one had answered your question. Part #s taken from rockauto.com

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
MEVOTECH CMS251057 - front left

MEVOTECH CMS251058- front right

SitKneelBend - these are the upper control arms for a 2014 Ram 1500 I noticed no one had answered your question. Part #s taken from rockauto.com
Greatly appreciated!/

RAM REX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks seem to be the newest fav when leveling or lifting a truck's front end. One thing to remember is, shocks are meant to wear and although the adjustable shocks seem like an easy alternative, they are not cheap to replace when they wear out.

My leveling kit for my 2014 Ram 1500 Express Blackout Edition V8 5.7L Hemi consists of a front 3 inch metal spacer only, rear is stock. I replaced the front shocks for larger ones to get rid of the bounce. The rear shocks were also replaced with a stock size. I went with the Bilstein 4600 series for both front and rear.

3 inch metal spacer: Supreme Suspensions
Front shocks: Bilstein 4600 part no. 24-186063
Rear shocks: Bilstein 4600 part no. 24-187510

Pros: Big improvement in ride and handling, the metal spacers are way better than the poly ones.

Cons: Not a fan of the yellow shocks, I had them powder coated black, and installed them without the blue sleeve cover, no biggie.

Disclaimer: My truck is a city slicker, I don't intend to take it for a swim in mud ; )

See my truck on facebook: Supreme Suspensions
under posts to page, posted by Aiden.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks seem to be the newest fav when leveling or lifting a truck's front end. One thing to remember is, shocks are meant to wear and although the adjustable shocks seem like an easy alternative, they are not cheap to replace when they wear out.

My leveling kit for my 2014 Ram 1500 Express Blackout Edition V8 5.7L Hemi consists of a front 3 inch metal spacer only, rear is stock. I replaced the front shocks for larger ones to get rid of the bounce. The rear shocks were also replaced with a stock size. I went with the Bilstein 4600 series for both front and rear.

3 inch metal spacer: Supreme Suspensions

Front shocks: Bilstein 4600 part no. 24-186063

Rear shocks: Bilstein 4600 part no. 24-187510

Pros: Big improvement in ride and handling, the metal spacers are way better than the poly ones.

Cons: Not a fan of the yellow shocks, I had them powder coated black, and installed them without the blue sleeve cover, no biggie.

Disclaimer: My truck is a city slicker, I don't intend to take it for a swim in mud ; )

See my truck on facebook: Supreme Suspensions

under posts to page, posted by Aiden.

They are not an easy alternative. They are harder to install than spacers. But they are a much better alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Local shop down here has installed (3) 2" leveling kits on RAMs lately and he has had two of them come back with popped ball joints. He wanted to weld mine in place, but I opted for the Mevotechs instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956