2014 Ram Strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shovelhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Day Folks. I bought a used 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. Low km's awesome truck. Sport model. Bought a ready lift level kit for it as well. When I went to install the level kit I noticed the front shock had a pro comp label on it.
I removed the strut anyway to take a look at it. I'm not that familiar with lift and level kits. It didn't look to me like any kind of spacer was installed and the coil still had the Chrysler tag on it.
I installed the leveller and was not able to reinstall the strut. I'm assuming it is already spaced but I'm trying to find out for sure. I've attached a picture of the strut removed.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161114_133805.jpg
    20161114_133805.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 104

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pro comp makes a leveling shock thats the same as the Bilstein leveling shock. They're adjustable by using a coil spring compressors and moving the bottom ring that the coil sits on.
But I am not sure if thats what you have. It looks like you already have a spacer on that shock in between where the coil spring is and where the top plate is with your 3 bolts on it. I have my stock ones sitting in my garage and they do not have that 1-2" metal spacer like yours has. Its hard to tell from the pic but it looks like someone welded it on.
What size tires on your truck? What are your current fender heights, front and rear? That'll tell me if your truck already has a level kit installed.

OP
OP
S

Shovelhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't seem to be adjustable in any way. I wish I still had it apart I would take some better pics.
From what I found on the Internet it does look spaced I just wanted to confirm it. The spacer seems to be held in with the nut that holds the top of the shock. The top strut mount bolts are press fit into what I guess is the stock top plate.
The heights from ground to bottom of fender are LF 37.5. RF 38.5. RR is 39 and LR is 39.5. Measured on a mild driveway slope I may try again later on to confirm but I'm sure it won't change much.
Tires are 275 60 r20. Iooks to be loads of room in the fender area.

OP
OP
S

Shovelhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to add that the coil still had the Chrysler part number tag on it. I can post those numbers if you want but I Googled them and they come up as coils.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah thats definitely not stock. Like a giant preload spacer or something weird. Homemade level maybe?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever that is, sell it. Keep the spring as it looks like the factory, and if it has the factory part number on it that is a bonus. Pay 160 for a pair of billsteins for the front and forget that horrible nightmare someone made into a lift.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All signs point to you already have some sort of level/lift already on there. I think my stock front height was about 36".
Its hard to see the adjustable marks on the Procomp and the Bilstein shocks. Especially when they're fully assembled. The adjustment marks are small groves on the shock body where the bottom coil spring retainer plate is. You disassemble the shock and move the coil spring up or down on the groves to achieve or lift.
I just did a search on 4wheelparts.com and the only front shocks they show is the adjustable Procomp ones. Not a regular replacement stock size.
The Procomp and Bilstein shocks require the use of the stock coil springs and actually everything but the shock and bottom coil spring retainer. So it would make sense that you have a tag on it.

The problem with going to a Bilstein shock is that he needs to disassemble that shock and reuse everything but the shock itself. And again its hard to tell if it is or not, but the top piece looks to be welded to a spacer. In your pic it looks like there is a weld there. Can you confirm that's what that is in the picture Shovelhead? If thats the case, then you're going to need to either grind the weld off or find some stock shocks and use the parts off it if you do the Bilstein shocks.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I wake up early enough tomorrow, I will take and post a couple pics of my stock shocks so you can see the difference in them.
Also look for a part number stamped into your shocks. Probably near the bottom of the shock body. Or near the Procomp tag.

OP
OP
S

Shovelhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've looked for.numbers all over that shock and can't find a thing just the pro comp sticker. I'm putting up another pic of the strut assembly to see if it gives you any other ideas.
Looking at it again I agree it's definately welded. I'm assuming now they fabbed it up. Doesn't make sense though. The pro comps aren't that cheap. To rig up the lift doesn't make sense bit who knows.
I guses I'm gonna have to rip it apart and see what's up.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20161114_133746.jpg
    20161114_133746.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It definately is leveled, not sure on shock model but it does have a coil spring preload spacer. I dont know if you did your research but the strut spacer level you wanted to put is known for causing balljoint failure on 13+ models. If the preload spacer isnt homemade just run it. If you dont trust it find some stock struts and put your spacer on if you want to chance the balljoints or took care of that issue. Or get new bilstein 5100 or similar and use the springs you got.