2wd maxtrac level install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who have you guys had install your level kits? Nobody will touch it in Nashville except one place but they are only open m-f 8 to 5 and can't make it there that time

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who have you guys had install your level kits? Nobody will touch it in Nashville except one place but they are only open m-f 8 to 5 and can't make it there that time
What leveling kit specifically?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're familiar with taking apart your front suspension it's simple.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're familiar with taking apart your front suspension it's simple.

As long as you have the right coil compressor!
I did a 1 Inch lift by myself. No way w/o an internal spring compressor, even with the LCA bolts loosened.
Otherwise a pretty straightforward job.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as you have the right coil compressor!
I did a 1 Inch lift by myself. No way w/o an internal spring compressor, even with the LCA bolts loosened.
Otherwise a pretty straightforward job.
I didn't use a spring compressor. I have a pry bar and it worked perfectly. The trick for me was to put the top of the spring with the spacer back into the coil bucket first and then do the bottom. Use the pry bar to push your lower control arm down to get the bottom of the spring started into the lower control arm. Once that's in place and won't move then stick the end of the pry bar beneath the spring and into the lower control arm hole where the shock goes. Pry up with the pry bar and it'll push the spring into place. Turn the spring with the pry bar if it needs to be turned into place. Leave the pry bar in and jack the lower control arm up. Then pull the pry bar out and reconnect everything.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't use a spring compressor. I have a pry bar and it worked perfectly. The trick for me was to put the top of the spring with the spacer back into the coil bucket first and then do the bottom. Use the pry bar to push your lower control arm down to get the bottom of the spring started into the lower control arm. Once that's in place and won't move then stick the end of the pry bar beneath the spring and into the lower control arm hole where the shock goes. Pry up with the pry bar and it'll push the spring into place. Turn the spring with the pry bar if it needs to be turned into place. Leave the pry bar in and jack the lower control arm up. Then pull the pry bar out and reconnect everything.

Tried a similar approach but ran into the problem, that the lower rubber piece that holds the spring in place (it is shaped to accommodate the exact contours of the coil) would get bent out of place all the time I tried to push the coil into the LCA.
I tried it for almost 30 minutes until I gave up and bolted everything back together.
Ordered an internal spring compressor and tackled the task a week later with no issues at all. So much easier and you are able to place the spring exactly where it belongs into the rubber damper in the LCA.

I wouldn't say, it is not possible without a compressor, but if you are on your own it's so much easier with the right tools!

OP
OP
T

TNram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much time do you think I need to allow? Oreilly auto has an internal compressor I could rent.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much time do you think I need to allow? Oreilly auto has an internal compressor I could rent.
I think the rental is unlimited time.

OP
OP
T

TNram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know but how long does it take to install?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know but how long does it take to install?
Takes me just over an hour. I guess if you've never done it it would take 3-4 hours.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took me about 3 hours the 2nd time.
Getting the ball joints off the UCA's and the steering rods had been a PITA.
I must have tightened them too much after my first attempt on installing the coil spacers.
Take your time, don't rush it.
I jacked up the front, secured the frame with jack stands and did both sides parallel, not one side after the other like in this video.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried a similar approach but ran into the problem, that the lower rubber piece that holds the spring in place (it is shaped to accommodate the exact contours of the coil) would get bent out of place all the time I tried to push the coil into the LCA.
I tried it for almost 30 minutes until I gave up and bolted everything back together.
Ordered an internal spring compressor and tackled the task a week later with no issues at all. So much easier and you are able to place the spring exactly where it belongs into the rubber damper in the LCA.

I wouldn't say, it is not possible without a compressor, but if you are on your own it's so much easier with the right tools!

Was it like this type?

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly.
You have to cut the threaded part some in order to get the compressed coil out though.
I removed the shock, jacked up the LCA to compress the spring, inserted the compressor, ratcheted it down as far as it would go and lowered the LCA.
Spring came out super easy then.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly.
You have to cut the threaded part some in order to get the compressed coil out though.
I removed the shock, jacked up the LCA to compress the spring, inserted the compressor, ratcheted it down as far as it would go and lowered the LCA.
Spring came out super easy then.

So renting one probably isn't a good option then huh? That one on Amazon is cheap enough but scary reviews, especially dealing with our type of HD springs and the potential risk. I am planning on doing my 6" lift next weekend and trying to be proactive about what I'll need. I contacted Maxtrac and they said I should be able to do it without spring compressors ???

I explained to them that I am going to have a buddy of mine helping me. I bought a 60" pry bar and was hoping that with him leaning on the LCA with the pry bar would be enough for me to get them in there. In the Maxtrac video they make it look so easy.. but we all know how that goes.

O'reillys is selling these for about double the price and a warrany, which I'm fine with and it states for "light truck" use.. just wonder if that's like "Chevy S10 or Colorado" use? LOL.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was skeptical with that cheap spring compressor as well and used a LOT of caution using it, but it did the job of holding the coil compressed without a problem. I wouldn't trust it to actively compress a Ram front spring though. That's why I used the truck's weight to compress the spring and tightened the spring compressor to hold just that compression when removing the coil.

Problem with the praybar method is the angle of the LCA you generate when pushing/forcing it down. It's almost impossible - even if you get the coil somehow wedged in there - to get the coil properly seated in the lower rubber seat/mount or whatever that thing is called.
(Sorry, I'm not a native speaker.)

Last edited: