3rd rack & pinion in 3 months???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, haven't posted much since I got my new truck this last new years eve, mainly because I usually run on here for advice with a problem or for inspiration on my build. Well I have a problem now...

truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 w/ 4" Mopar lift & Bilstein shocks set at 1.4

Around the middle of June I took my truck into the dealer for a clunking noise coming from my steering. After looking at it they said it was the rack and pinion and replaced it. Fast forward to the beginning of September, and as I was turning out of my driveway all of a sudden I have no power steering. I Check the reservoir, empty. Check for leaks and didn't see any. Boots on rack were all bunched up towards the center of the truck. After fixing both boots and putting the clips back on to hold them in place I refilled the reservoir and drove maybe 4 blocks before steering went out again and the reservoir was empty. Got back home and checked the boots and they are filled with fluid. Fairly confident that the rack was leaking from inside I took it back to the dealer again. Got the truck back this Thursday afternoon and drove it until Monday... The EXACT same problem. Moving in a parking lot and suddenly, no power steering, AGAIN. On a 4 day old rack and pinion at that, not even 100mi. Took it to the dealer a 3rd time. Same problem. The rack will be replaced again and I will get my truck by the end of the day. Tech told me that it may be a bad batch of racks so they are getting it from a different source. He also said that my lift may be the problem. He said that my steering and cv angles may be causing the damage. The truck had a 2.5 daystar kit on it when I got it. Hearing all the horror stories about problems with them I waiting maybe 2mo before buying a Mopar lift to replace it. After install it was not leveled so adjusted the Bilstein's to a 1.4 setting to level it out. I know that the 4" lift keeps everything at factory angles, but would the Bilstein's being set at 1.4 really mess up the rack like this??? I chose the 1.4 because everyone seemed to only have troubles at 2.1 or 2.8 so I played it safe... I thought. Thoughts on what I should do? I can't be dropping off my truck to get repaired all the time! Thanks a ton guys!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
steering rack on my truck started clunking too. the one the dealership replaced with with started ******* fluid on a test drive so they said. i havent gotten my truck back yet but i hope the third rack lasts.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I know the leveling kits will put premature wear on the steering and suspension, but a rack a month is not right. It's not being installed correctly or you are getting parts, I have to replace my rack, but my truck is 8 years old and I've been running a ReadyLift spacer on top since 2009. Do you feel shimmy or significant play in the steering while driving?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW, my steering rack was replaced twice when my truck was 100% stock (new rack was immediately replaced as it still clunked). Now, mine has the electric rack but my point to add is you're getting a defective rack or the install is being seriously botched.

And I call the lift excuse bogus. While it may add SOME wear, no way the setup is causing it to wear that quickly.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't notice any shimmy or play. No 4WD shake either. Just the rack going out. Should I consider lowering my Bilstein's? Should I have to at just 1.4? They told me they used refurbished racks. Should I demand a NEW rack if it fails again? Anyone else have problems with the rack with bilstein shocks?

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They told me that if it fails again to take it to where the lift was installed to make sure everything is correct. But I know it is. The only reason I didn't install it myself was for warranty reasons. My extended warranty covers mopar add ons so my lift doesn't void it but only if installed by a shop. I am familiar with suspension and have worked on my truck's suspension before this one. From what I've read people have problems with the rack with leveling kits but haven't found anyone with 1.4 Bilstein's with problems.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't notice any shimmy or play. No 4WD shake either. Just the rack going out. Should I consider lowering my Bilstein's? Should I have to at just 1.4? They told me they used refurbished racks. Should I demand a NEW rack if it fails again? Anyone else have problems with the rack with bilstein shocks?

my rack started acting up before the level kit. i had a level kit on my third gen for quite a while and never had a rack fail. i think theres some ****** 4th gen racks out there.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

Don't consider de-modding or lowering, these trucks run with theses set-up's all the time without issue. I truly think that you are getting bad parts or there is a recall that RAM doesn't know about and it needs to be brought to light, I agree that if you are told that the lift is the problem it's an excuse.

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my rack started acting up before the level kit. i had a level kit on my third gen for quite a while and never had a rack fail. i think theres some ****** 4th gen racks out there.

So should I hope for the best with this next one? Is it just luck of the draw or are there certain brands that are bether than others?

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't consider de-modding or lowering, these trucks run with theses set-up's all the time without issue. I truly think that you are getting bad parts or there is a recall that RAM doesn't know about and it needs to be brought to light, I agree that if you are told that the lift is the problem it's an excuse.
Exactly my thoughts! I got in the tech's face as I told him that I got the part number from HIS part catalog, and had it installed at a shop THEY approved. Like, it's got Mopar decals all over it, and you're telling me it's the problem?

OP
OP
Juvenator93

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So update, the dealer still has my truck and are telling me I have to put the Bilstein's at 0. They say the angle of having them raised is causing the problem. I am very unhappy but unfortunately have no choice. Going back down and hopefully that fixes the problem. Not looking forward to having 2" of rake again

saselker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my suggestion would be to set bilsteins at 0, get them to install the rack. Run it until proven good and bump it up again. Pain, i know, but it will end the blame game if it fails again. I dont believe the additional lift is the cause of the failure, but i can tell you that Superlift/Mopar does not recommend doing it, otherwise i would have when I put this lift on my truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio