4" lift Tearing Up Lower Control Arm??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So, I just got my 4" Zone kit installed last weekend. I love the way it looks, and the parts looked and felt quality. My only problem is turning to lock. It feels like I'm rubbing (it's almost kinda bumpy). I decided to take a look to make sure there weren't any clearance issues, and I saw this:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

The steel knuckles are damaging the aluminum lower control arms. This has only been after a week, and I'd hate to see what they look like after a year... Has anybody else noticed this? Was something installed improperly?

Also, my steering felt fine before the install, and now it feels bumpy when I turn it to lock. I assume it's because it is trying to go further than the new knuckles will allow, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
I have the same problem bro, iv had my lift for about a year now and no issues yet but my lower control arm is chewed up a bit but nothing major. It is super annoying though. I also have 4" zone lift and bils

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
The reason it feels bumpy as well is becuase your lower control arm needs movement and it gets stuck between the steel stoppers that's why it sounds and feels ugly.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like I'll be doing a BDS kit instead of a Zone. Would hate that happening. Hope you figure it out.

Sent from Overseas using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Looks like I'll be doing a BDS kit instead of a Zone. Would hate that happening. Hope you figure it out.

Well, that's not to say they don't have that same setup to prevent the wheels from turning all the way. It was just a shocker to me, and I didn't see that coming when I installed the kit.

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
The reason it feels bumpy as well is becuase your lower control arm needs movement and it gets stuck between the steel stoppers that's why it sounds and feels ugly.

I have the same problem bro, iv had my lift for about a year now and no issues yet but my lower control arm is chewed up a bit but nothing major. It is super annoying though. I also have 4" zone lift and bils

That makes sense, I just feel like I'm hurting something o_O . But if you've had yours for that long without any issues, should be fine! I wish there was a better way to keep things in line other than that system. Thanks for the reply!

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
4" lift Tearing Up Lower Control Arm??

That makes sense, I just feel like I'm hurting something o_O . But if you've had yours for that long without any issues, should be fine! I wish there was a better way to keep things in line other than that system. Thanks for the reply!

I asked the same question before and didn't get much response either, but what I did do is shave my stoppers flat enough they still stick out a bit but low enough where we don't have that canal looking stopper it's just flat. Now I get the clunk occasionally when I'm turning and hit an uneven surface. I'll get you some pics as soon as I can I had some I got rid of them.

xjwalt666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Isn't the zone a rebranded bds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I put my Zone 4" kit on, I ended up having some issues. In all honesty I didn't feel safe even driving it because of what I was feeling. I ended up just trading in the truck and got in a new '17 sport. I'm over the lift phase now. I'm just going to level this new truck and call it a day.

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Isn't the zone a rebranded bds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've heard, they are the same people. Similar to how Lexus and Toyota are the same yet different, but BDS offers a far better warranty (lifetime and bulletproof)

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
After I put my Zone 4" kit on, I ended up having some issues. In all honesty I didn't feel safe even driving it because of what I was feeling. I ended up just trading in the truck and got in a new '17 sport. I'm over the lift phase now. I'm just going to level this new truck and call it a day.

What kind of issues were you having?

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well was planning on Zone 4"......But now. Wondering if anyone with 4" BDS or Superlift have any issues like these guys.

Sickem

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500-Express 3.92's w/ anti-spin
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you contact zone about it? Curious to hear what they say? I'd grind some material out of the knuckle for clearance. Better there than the control arm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joker2168

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running a Zone 4in with no issues. Are you by chance running the original wheels? I believe they may rub on full lock due to the offset. I run a -12 offset with no rubbing at all or marks like in your pic's.

Mviohl311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not going with zone anymore, thanks for the info

Sickem

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500-Express 3.92's w/ anti-spin
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you contact zone about it? Curious to hear what they say? I'd grind some material out of the knuckle for clearance. Better there than the control arm.

After getting a better look at the pictures, it looks like the corner of the stearing stop on the knuckle is contacting the stearing stop on the a-arm. It should which is causing the v notched wear. The stock a-arm is cut out to provide clearance. The other lift kits could be the same way. Like I said, I would contact zone to see what they say. Until then, I wouldn't max out the steering when making turns.

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I am running a Zone 4in with no issues. Are you by chance running the original wheels? I believe they may rub on full lock due to the offset. I run a -12 offset with no rubbing at all or marks like in your pic's.

I am, but I am running a 1/4" wheel spacer to prevent rubbing. It's not any part of the wheel or tire rubbing (I already checked by having my wife hold the wheel at full lock).

After getting a better look at the pictures, it looks like the corner of the stearing stop on the knuckle is contacting the stearing stop on the a-arm. It should which is causing the v notched wear. The stock a-arm is cut out to provide clearance. The other lift kits could be the same way. Like I said, I would contact zone to see what they say. Until then, I wouldn't max out the steering when making turns.

I agree. Any of the kits will probably be the same way. I am not trying to talk anybody out of this wonderful kit, I'm just trying to see if anybody else has noticed this, and what their's looks like. I have contacted them through email and am waiting for a response.

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
8052433cff82d0df5b5183faffe18d8f.jpg

Well it's another thing we have to live with lol , But other than that my truck rides like a dream like I said before even better than my Camaro.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running the 4" Superlift & have never experienced the noise/feeling that you guys are referring to.

I just checked under my Ram to see if I had the same marks & I don't.

OP
OP
grahamgraham

grahamgraham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
8052433cff82d0df5b5183faffe18d8f.jpg

Well it's another thing we have to live with lol , But other than that my truck rides like a dream like I said before even better than my Camaro.

Thanks for sharing this. They have yet to get back to me.
And I love the ride of mine too! :)

I'm running the 4" Superlift & have never experienced the noise/feeling that you guys are referring to.

I just checked under my Ram to see if I had the same marks & I don't.

Interesting. So, does your kit not have any form of steering stoppers then? Or does Superlift go a different route?