4" Rough Country Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I have a 4" RC suspension lift along with Bilsteins set at 1.4". Have only had it installed for about 35k kms (had to replace tie rod ends at about 10k into it).

Anyways, lately I've been having a very bad wobble even when hitting the slightest bumps. Steering wheel trying to get away from you, brakes jumping, etc. Also feels like the rear is swaying...

Initially I thought it was due to the dealer over inflating my tires when it was in for a service. But that doesn't seem like the case.

So just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with this kit, or suggestions in general.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Last edited:

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would say first thing is crawl under and look for a broken or loose parts. Then jack up tires and check for any play in components

Kusmit 88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check for play, lose components, check torque as well. Maybe even get your alignment checked as well

Mike2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 4.5" susp lift on my 09 Ram 2500 with 35" Toyo's.....rides like CRAP! Rough, steering is horrible (back and forth in the lane), hit a bump on the freeway and the truck shoots sideways. Also, damn near have to wear a mouth guard. I am to the point where I don't even want to drive the thing.

I got the cheap kit though, through Tough Country. Needed to get the long arm kit and better shocks; should have done more research. Any other ideas from anyone, I'm new to this. I have replaced the drag link, tie rod, front u-joints, installed the Hell Bent steering stabilizer and installed dual steering shocks on the front......

Ignitionorange15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Kits

I have lifted MANY trucks, doesn't matter what make or model. The old adage of you get what you pay for rings true here. I won't touch anything that isn't superlift or skyjacker. Yes, the tough country lifts are appealing in price, and they do have their place. When choosing a lift you need to factor in how long you plan on keeping the truck, and how long you can live with a horrible ride quality. Superlift and skyjacker designed the kits to work as close to factory as possible. I would rather dish out an extra 1-1.5 k for a lift I will have for a long time, it's cheaper than an accident from insane bump steer or replaced fillings at the dentist when the truck rides like a brick with wheels. Cheap kits are nothing to fool around with when you have a family to transport safely from point a to point b. Make your truck how YOU want it, after all, it's an extension of your personality, but for safety's sake save up an extra month or two and get a quality kit that you won't regret after the first 500 miles.

Ignitionorange15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my honest opinion, being ase certified in steering/suspension, steering stabilizers are a cover up for an underlying problem. Yes, they may look cool, but if you need dual stabs for 35 inch tires I would assume they are just masking an issue. In your case, the steering geometry is so messed up from the tc kit. That's also why you are wearing out parts faster than normal.

Ignitionorange15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 4.5" susp lift on my 09 Ram 2500 with 35" Toyo's.....rides like CRAP! Rough, steering is horrible (back and forth in the lane), hit a bump on the freeway and the truck shoots sideways. Also, damn near have to wear a mouth guard. I am to the point where I don't even want to drive the thing.

I got the cheap kit though, through Tough Country. Needed to get the long arm kit and better shocks; should have done more research. Any other ideas from anyone, I'm new to this. I have replaced the drag link, tie rod, front u-joints, installed the Hell Bent steering stabilizer and installed dual steering shocks on the front......
I would also advise upgraded track bar. Could be part of the reason for your truck wandering and taking off to the side from a bump

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Friend put similar lift in jeep had death wobble so bad nearly lost it on interstate they sent him a stabilizer made it much better

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But he said lift was ok quality even though he had the prob

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Not a rep, I just know what I like. I'd rather not put a $400 lift on a $75k truck just for looks and sacrifice ride quality
Damn I wish a suspension lift cost $400...you can't even get bilsteins with install for that...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little update here. Checked over the suspension and everything looks fine visually. I'll be able to see if there's any play once I change over tires next week hopefully.

Just ended up replacing my rear shocks with the Fox 2.0's (Rough Country kit shocks were shot!). While that did get rid of the annoying rattle/clunk I've been having for a while, I'm still getting crazy body roll and rear end sway. Even happens when hitting a bump at 5 km/hr. Which leads me to believe it isn't a tire/alignment issue.

Also noticed that one side of the truck seems to sit lower in the rear (even with empty fuel tank). Has anyone else experienced anything like this. Would it maybe be sway bar related? Or soft coil springs (3"BDS)? Any input appreciated!

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well your biggest mistake was buying a cheap rough country kit. Those ride like **** and don't last long. As for your steering and handling problems.. I have no clue.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, thanks for the valuable input...

If I were to do it over, would I go a different route? More than likely, but no sense talking about it now. A lot of people running their kits with zero issues. And it's not like the thing was $200. The biggest complaints seem to be the finish and the fact they now run spacers in the rear (which I've replaced with coils anyway).

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Damn I wish a suspension lift cost $400...you can't even get bilsteins with install for that...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Tisk, tisk... you poor Canadians, always paying out the ass. I can get both Bils and the spring compressor tool for $250.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, thanks for the valuable input...

If I were to do it over, would I go a different route? More than likely, but no sense talking about it now. A lot of people running their kits with zero issues. And it's not like the thing was $200. The biggest complaints seem to be the finish and the fact they now run spacers in the rear (which I've replaced with coils anyway).
I agree theres no point in talking about it now, its already done. But for close to the same price, there's the zone kits which are much higher quality. When I lift my truck next year I'm either going with Zone or BDS because I've heard great things about both of them.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree theres no point in talking about it now, its already done. But for close to the same price, there's the zone kits which are much higher quality. When I lift my truck next year I'm either going with Zone or BDS because I've heard great things about both of them.

True enough. Admittedly I didn't know enough about the different kits or do a lot of homework when I picked it up a few years ago. Seemed like it was more popular on here too at the time. Anyways, hopefully I can get a chance to get to the root of my problem next week. Maybe it won't even be lift related. Unlikely, but here's to hoping.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True enough. Admittedly I didn't know enough about the different kits or do a lot of homework when I picked it up a few years ago. Seemed like it was more popular on here too at the time. Anyways, hopefully I can get a chance to get to the root of my problem next week. Maybe it won't even be lift related. Unlikely, but here's to hoping.
I feel you man. I'm always learning new stuff about these trucks