5100 Shudder.... Looking to level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Hey everyone, thinking about leveling the front, but after reading about the 4wd shudder I am having second thoughts. Does anyone know if it happens with both 5100s and regular spacer lifts, or does it only occur with bilsteins?

Secondly, does the hight setting make a difference? I read on another sight that it was happening on all settings but am wondering what the guys over here have experienced. Maybe just wishful thinking...

I would like to go with the 2.1 for my truck and maybe a 3/4 rear spacer.

Thanks for any input!

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
It can happen with all levels, because its due to the angle on the CV Axel. I notice a little vibration on mine but nothing crazy. Only happens with 4wd on and moderate acceleration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
It can happen with all levels, because its due to the angle on the CV Axel. I notice a little vibration on mine but nothing crazy. Only happens with 4wd on and moderate acceleration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks... could I ask what level you're using? Also does it have to be in 4wd or will it also do it in the auto mode?

hemipowerv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks... could I ask what level you're using? Also does it have to be in 4wd or will it also do it in the auto mode?

This would only occur when 4wd is actually engaged. And leveling kit, be it spacer or spring compression (Bilstein) will change the angles a bit and can potentially cause this...in my experience, 2" is ok but 2.5" or more is NOT.
Basically you are pushing the wheel and assembly DOWN to lift the truck UP so the CVs run at a higher angle...there are better CVs available from KORE also...but I think they are like $700...

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
This would only occur when 4wd is actually engaged. And leveling kit, be it spacer or spring compression (Bilstein) will change the angles a bit and can potentially cause this...in my experience, 2" is ok but 2.5" or more is NOT.
Basically you are pushing the wheel and assembly DOWN to lift the truck UP so the CVs run at a higher angle...there are better CVs available from KORE also...but I think they are like $700...

Thanks for the info! I had 5100s on my gmc set to 1.75 and had no problems. Hadn't even heard of it until I got my Ram. I thought that the 5100 was supposed to do a better job at keeping close to the factory angles than a spacer... oh well

hemipowerv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the info! I had 5100s on my gmc set to 1.75 and had no problems. Hadn't even heard of it until I got my Ram. I thought that the 5100 was supposed to do a better job at keeping close to the factory angles than a spacer... oh well

From photos I have seen, it does do a better job...but they still do not remain stock angles like a true lift kit would (by dropping the front differential down). Between spacers or Bilsteins, I would go with the Bilsteins...spend the extra bit of cash up front and you should have components that last longer (ball joints, CVs, tie rod ends, etc) and personally I plan to set mine at 2.1" not the max 2.8" for the same reason...

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have bilsteins set at 2.8 and have the shudder you describe. I have only felt it once and that was when i was launching in 4wd cause i would spend too much in 2. I am looking for a front diff drop bracket that would alleviate it but no luck so far. If any one knows where I could find one help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I would be curious to hear if it is as pronounced at the 2.1 setting. I love the way they look leveled. But I don't want to sacrifice function to do so. I only use 4wd for winter driving and in the auto mode. I'm not sure I want it kicking in and out as needed and having that problem. It seems like it would be hard on the drivetrain.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I have bilsteins set at 2.8 and have the shudder you describe. I have only felt it once and that was when i was launching in 4wd cause i would spend too much in 2. I am looking for a front diff drop bracket that would alleviate it but no luck so far. If any one knows where I could find one help would be appreciated.

Not familiar with any diff drop bracket... sweet looking truck though! what size tires are those?