6" lift + Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrEsPaSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all,
I am sure that this question has been covered, however I have not seen anything pertaining to a 14 ram 1500.
I currently have a BDS 6" lift (non-coil over) with 5" springs in the back on 37" rubber. I am not happy with the front rake of the truck, seems to be about 2" or so. I was informed by several members to check into Bilstein 5100s to level the front. I definitely like the idea and went ahead and ordered the adjustable struts.
I am now being told by my local shop (s) that it is not advised to install with any type of leveling adjustment because it will push the cv angle over the limit. I am aware of the potential problem and aware that Kore makes high angle cvs (cant find them for the 2014 though).. any thoughts on the addition of the Bilsteins? Anyone using them on a BDS lift? Your help is greatly appreciated.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You won't have any issues running the Bilsteins at 2.1" with the BDS kit. I'd bet your there are more guys running that setup than the standard BDS kit. Adding them to level proper lift kit is no different for the control arm/CV shaft angles than leveling a stock height truck. It has the same effect on anything. I assure you that you won't have any issues provided it's all installed right.

Keep in mind that when you install the Bilsteins you don't use the BDS preload spacer anymore.

OP
OP
TrEsPaSS

TrEsPaSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You won't have any issues running the Bilsteins at 2.1" with the BDS kit. I'd bet your there are more guys running that setup than the standard BDS kit. Adding them to level proper lift kit is no different for the control arm/CV shaft angles than leveling a stock height truck. It has the same effect on anything. I assure you that you won't have any issues provided it's all installed right.

Keep in mind that when you install the Bilsteins you don't use the BDS preload spacer anymore.
Thanks Brandon!

OP
OP
TrEsPaSS

TrEsPaSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Done deal. Had Bilstiens installed today. No rake, measured 46" ground to flares front and back.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Pictures please. Hoping to finish my lift this weekend!!

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I am looking to do minus the 37"s I'll most likely do 35s. Do you have 3.92s for that set up? In for some pics

BIGNHORNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
BrandonJansen, If you dont mind chiming in on this tech question, you seem to be really up to date on these Rams...I am very new to the truck and lifts.... I currently have a 2014 1500 4x4 and have installed already a 6 zone lift with 3' coils and also a zone 1.5 BL...the question that I have is about Bilsteins and the UCA situation.... I want to run 37' in the near future and have 20x12 -44 wheels..... can i simply just install the Bilsteins or do I have to remove anything from the front of the truck, besides the factory struts for this to work..... I am also going to have to install a spring spacer for the rear..... just not sure how big yet... my 35's now have plenty of clearance since my total lift is 7.5....

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BrandonJansen, If you dont mind chiming in on this tech question, you seem to be really up to date on these Rams...I am very new to the truck and lifts.... I currently have a 2014 1500 4x4 and have installed already a 6 zone lift with 3' coils and also a zone 1.5 BL...the question that I have is about Bilsteins and the UCA situation.... I want to run 37' in the near future and have 20x12 -44 wheels..... can i simply just install the Bilsteins or do I have to remove anything from the front of the truck, besides the factory struts for this to work..... I am also going to have to install a spring spacer for the rear..... just not sure how big yet... my 35's now have plenty of clearance since my total lift is 7.5....

On the front end you'll remove the stock struts and Zone strut spacer, disassemble the strut to use the hardware on the Bilstein. You won't use the Zone preload spacer on the Bilstein. Then reinstall the strut spacer onto the Bilstein and reinstall them in the truck. Then obviously bring it in for another front end alignment because everything will be way out of wack again.
On the back end I would recommend getting the Zone 5" coils rather than using a large spring spacer. It's just a better way of putting it together. You'll also want to get longer shocks because of the added lift.

You will rub with that wheel/tire setup on that amount of lift just so you know... Some trimming of the inner fender plastic should clear it up though. Very easy to do.

BIGNHORNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks alot brandonjansen.... I am assuming the zone preload spacer is part of the lift kit and it is installed between the cup and coil?

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
A zone tech told me not to use the preload spacers with the bils

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks alot brandonjansen.... I am assuming the zone preload spacer is part of the lift kit and it is installed between the cup and coil?

Correct. The effect of the preload spacer is essentially the same as what the Bilsteins do by moving the upper spring seat up. So you just get rid of that spacer and use the Bilsteins for the additional lift.

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is what i am in the process of doing,brandon is a book of info

JoeKer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the preload spacer the plastic black circle rings?

JoeKer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet. Imma take em out of the box before i drop the truck off. Just so there's no confusion. Anything special I need to tell the offroad shop for the install? I'm in Delaware. Said they hadn't seen anyone do the Bilsteins with the Zone at their shop yet.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, make sure you show them specifically which groove you want to use on the Bilsteins . . . Better yet, just install the snap rings in the correct groove before you take them there . . . Peace of mind . . . Less confusion