Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Rough country

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Super Lift

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Other- Please explain in the comments

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose165

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 HEMI 5.7
I'm new to trucks and specially new to lifts. Im interested in getting a 6" suspension lift but I have no clue about the components provided in the kits and what makes one kit better than the other. I aint rich, so Im looking for economical but descent quality. I wont be doing tons of off roading, mainly town and highway driving.

I have found some kits online but cant tell which offers more for the buck. Pease take a look at the pictures and tell why one is better than the other. Also, I noticed that the Zone and the Super Lift have new springs but that the Rough Country does not. Could some please explain why the difference. Thanks

The choices are:

1) Zone
2) Rough Country
3) Super Lift
4) Other

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of people on this forum run the zone lift kit and I haven't ever seen a problem with them. So they are a great kit for the buck.

Rough country uses the stock springs and then a spacer to give it the lift, which is why a lot of people opt for the zone. But that doesn't mean the rough country is all that bad.

And super lift I really don't know all too much about them

MR.Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the super lift because of the springs and skid plate it comes with. The rough country comes with blocks for the rear and I didn't want to run block. I can't speak about zone because I don't know much about them

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Goose165,

I don't have one yet but i have been researching and it seems that the Zone and BDS are two very good kits. The BDS has the warranty "If it breaks we send you a new one". But the Zone is also a solid kit. I have asked shops and read reviews and cruised the forums and the consensus is BDS and Zone. I will be going BDS when the time comes.
Good luck and enjoy,

preachp

OP
OP
Goose165

Goose165

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 HEMI 5.7
What else?

Some more questions.

After installing a lift, what else needs to be done? What does it affect?

Im guessing I will need an alignment... Right?

Does the handdling become any different? Do you get bump steer? Does it affect turn radius? What difference in gas mileage should I expect?

Anything specific I should watch out for?

Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the bigger tires needed for the lift you will see a drop in mileage and power, with the 6in lift you can run 35s, or 37s. With the 37s, you would want to eventually regear your truck to help out the tranny and recoup some of the power loss, I jusr regeared mine and for all the parts it was around 1500,

You will have a little more turning radius with bigger tires, but the ride quality seems to get better in more lift kits.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Expect 4-5 mpg drop with a lift and 35's. That's not an inflated number, that's a realistic number lol. You can mod to pull some of that mileage back though. Tuner, CAI, and exhaust helped me. I get 11.5-12 L/100 kms all day when doing 90 kmh on cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
I love my pro comp...if I didn't buy pro comp it was bds. Both have lifetime warranty and excellent cs. I average about 9 mpg with my setup but i also only drive it maybe 25 to 50 miles a week so who cares

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Voted SuperLift, components look better for the rear, though I'm no expert so what do I know.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I would take Rough Country right off your list. Their rear lift setup using only spacers is the main reason why. It's just not the way you want to lift the rear of your truck that much. They also don't powdercoat all the lift components; specifically the steering knuckles. So if you don't have them powdercoated or paint them yourself they will rust in no time and look terrible.

IMO a Zone kit is the best "bang for your buck" kit available right now. They provide a complete lift with good quality parts and rear coils to achieve the lift. Plus they still have a very good warranty should anything arise. A Zone 6" kit with 5" rear coils and Bilsteins at 2.1" is one of the most common setups I recommend. You end up with a total of 7" of lift and the truck will sit good and level.

BDS would the the step up from Zone if you have the money. They make the best box lifts for a 1500 IMO and provide the most options for the lift (ie. shocks, coilovers, etc.). Plus they have their "no fine print" warranty so if anything ever does happen, it will be replaced. Not to mention that they cover issues that may arise with the truck itself because of the lift.

I haven't had much experience with Superlift as it's simply not as common of a kit. However it looks to be a good, complete kit as well from what I've seen.

You will definitely need an alignment after the lift, no question. Any time any suspension modifications are done an alignment needs to be completed.

A lift definitely does affect handling. That's just how it is when you lift the truck up and throw some larger tires on it. You won't be taking corners as fast but that's about it. Really, if the truck is lifted right with quality components/shocks you will end up with a nicer ride than stock.

You can't get bump steer on a 1500 so no issues there.

Assuming you get new wheels/tires that have a more negative offset for a wider stance, then yes, you will lose a bit of turning radius. But it's really not that big of a deal.

The amount your fuel mileage will drop depends on a lot of things. What type and size of tire you end up going with, how you drive, tuning, etc. When I had my 1500 and put a 6" lift and 35's on it I lost around 2.0-2.5 mpg. Those numbers are fairly typical for guys running 35's. If you go to a larger tire (37's for example) then you might lose a little more.
On my 3500 the numbers were around the same, lost about 2.0 mpg going from stock to a 9" lift on 37's however my truck is fully tuned and the Cummins has a ton of power/torque so the milage drop isn't quite as bad.

OP
OP
Goose165

Goose165

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 HEMI 5.7
Thanks to all of you for your replies. All have been very informative.

From the comments, I think I'm going to go with the Zone 6" Lift.

Ok, one decision down, two to go.

I will most likely be getting some 20"x12 wheels with a -44 offset.

I am still debating if I go with 35's or 37's for tires.

What opinions do you guys have on my suggested wheel and tire combinations.

Btw, I have a 2014 1500 Sport, 8 speed, 4x4. If that matters. Also keep in mind, Im going more for the look not the Offroadingness. But I do want practicality, function, reliability, handling and safety.

Thanks again, you guys have been extremely helpful thus far.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Can't go wrong listening to brandon... I ended up with a BDS 6" Coil Over lift after reading pages and pages of threads and some of his posts... lol

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to all of you for your replies. All have been very informative.

From the comments, I think I'm going to go with the Zone 6" Lift.

Ok, one decision down, two to go.

I will most likely be getting some 20"x12 wheels with a -44 offset.

I am still debating if I go with 35's or 37's for tires.

What opinions do you guys have on my suggested wheel and tire combinations.

Btw, I have a 2014 1500 Sport, 8 speed, 4x4. If that matters. Also keep in mind, Im going more for the look not the Offroadingness. But I do want practicality, function, reliability, handling and safety.

Thanks again, you guys have been extremely helpful thus far.

If you want to run 20x12 -44 offset wheels on that lift you'll need to stick with 35's. You won't clear 37's unless you add a body lift on top of the suspension lift.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running a 6" with there bils set at 2.8? I want the zone 6" with the 5" rears. But my bils are set at 2.8 right now. And i wanted the truck to sit level when its lifted. I hear mixed opinions about bilstien heights when lifting

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone running a 6" with there bils set at 2.8? I want the zone 6" with the 5" rears. But my bils are set at 2.8 right now. And i wanted the truck to sit level when its lifted. I hear mixed opinions about bilstien heights when lifting

If you want the truck sitting level you need the Bilsteins set at 2.1". 2.8" will put it nose high.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not in my case. After measuring over and over I'm at .25" less in the front.

OP
OP
Goose165

Goose165

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 HEMI 5.7
If you want to run 20x12 -44 offset wheels on that lift you'll need to stick with 35's. You won't clear 37's unless you add a body lift on top of the suspension lift.

Brandon,

What about 37's on stock wheels? Will they fit on a 6" lift? What is the widest 35" & 37" tire you can use on a stock wheel?

Thanks