Actual Torque on upper ball joint nut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm getting ready to install bilstein 5100 shocks this weekend and I am yet to find a definitive spec on the upper ball joint nut. The sticky above says 70ftlbs but then I have the haynes manual for these trucks and it says 40ftlbs and then an additional 200 degrees. Does anyone know what is meant by that? I have never seen a torque factor like that. Anyone out there that has done this them selves what did you torque yours to? Any help is appreciated.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting ready to install bilstein 5100 shocks this weekend and I am yet to find a definitive spec on the upper ball joint nut. The sticky above says 70ftlbs but then I have the haynes manual for these trucks and it says 40ftlbs and then an additional 200 degrees. Does anyone know what is meant by that? I have never seen a torque factor like that. Anyone out there that has done this them selves what did you torque yours to? Any help is appreciated.

70 sounds about right. 40 ft/lbs and 200 degrees means tighten to 40 then do a 200 degree turn after that with the wrench. So slightly more than half a turn. I'm not sure about the math but that seems like it would also be getting closer to 70 ft/lbs

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I torqued mine to 80ft lbs , I got the tq from a spec sheet on suspension components for 13-14 Ram Trucks from a friend of a friend who's a chrysler tech at a local dealership .

80 ft lbs felt right , and I've had my bils installed issue free for well over 20k .

A tq spec of a spacific poundage + X° is not terribly uncommon .

40'lbs +200 ° would be somewhere around 70 -80 ' lbs imo .
Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a look here if you haven't already , some good info ....I'm a bit partial to POST #26

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1205715

If your Ram is a 2011 like your profile says , then you have no reason to replace your ucas unless yours a worn out now , as the uca issues to my knowledge started with a slightly different design in 2013 .

Hope this helps !

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys, that does help. The last thing I want to do is under torque.

R.L.K. It is a 2011, I wasn't planning on replacing the UCAs. How would I know if they're worn out? The truck has just under 90k on it.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

R.L.K. It is a 2011, I wasn't planning on replacing the UCAs. How would I know if they're worn out? The truck has just under 90k on it.

If you can grab it and easily move it around, it's toast. Was going to attach a video of mine but apparently that's not an option anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Two ways to tell if your ucas require replacing or repair .
1) any separation on the top or any looseness in the ball joint itself .

2) as said above , with the ball joint disconnected if you can move the uca up and down with little or no force then the elastomer is weak and has separation , is delaminated badly or failed all together .

Both the issues stated above usually are accompanied by clunking over medium rough terrain or turning and hitting a bump . If you're not hearing or feeling issues your probably alright Sir .

Good luck !

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, R.L.K. and Dantheman. I'll check them out when I install the shocks but I dont hear any clunking so hopefully I'm good. Thanks everyone too for the torque clarification. I look forward to finally doing this over the weekend.

RCP_Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Can anyone confirm if the ball joint nuts are re-usable or are 1 time use?