Also a clunk sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 09 Ram will make a clunk sound, but only once during driving. I usually hear it about 30 minutes after driving. It happens when I go to stop and then accelerate, as if a light changes. I don't accelerate hard and I can not repeat it, so the dealer is no help. It is not gas in the tank. Almost seems as a shift point is bad, except it only happens once per long drive. Again, only happens when braking, then accelerating. Never from a complete stop. It has done it for the past few years.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Sounds like an intermittent hard down shift, have the shift solenoid's checked out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do you have a 32 gallon fuel tank?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I was also going to say try and listen and feel what gear it does it in to narrow it down so you can just change the one that's bad. I personally would try to find a reputable local trans shop (not aamco though) and have them look at it. F**k the stealerships cause if there's no code then they won't do any manual diagnosis like a local shop does.

OP
OP
R

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thing is it always catches me by surprise. It may not be everyday, but if it is, only once. I can not make it do it. I have a lifetime powertrain warranty, so that brings some comfort

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Drive shaft U-joint maybe?

Also, check if your spare tire cable is loose.

I had a "surge" issue when stopping so I disabled the Hill Start Assist and that stopped, but I have a '14 8spd

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
RamRoy, try manually move the driveshaft and see if there is any play in the universal joint and let us know

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like driveshaft u-joint to me as well. Easiest way to see is have the back tires off the ground and spin the rear tire and look for play in it. Hard to tell when it's on the ground. If you're brave have someone go from forward to reverse and back while you're under the truck watching them. As long as the brakes are applied you shouldn't get run over, but not the safest method.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334