Another thread about ball joints and leveling kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieBrah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey fellas,

New poster, long time lurker.
I've got a 2014 outdoorsman 4x4 crew cab with the hemi. I managed to get a big ol nail in the sidewall of my tires at 7000 miles. No idea how it happened. But I can't patch it apparently. Super frustrated. Anyways, I have my old wheels and tires off of my old 02 that I was planning on putting on after I get the money for a proper lift. Well since this happened, I figured I'd just put them on now. But my current budget doesn't really allow for me to drop 500 bucks on the new control arms + leveling it. My questions is: How long will it take before my ball joints come out of my control arms? Is it an immediate thing or does it take place after a few hundred or thousand miles? If I can get away with running a spacer for a few hundred miles and then switching my control arms I'll do that. What do you think, guys?

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no magic number for when/if they will fail. Your biggest waste of money will come from paying for 2 seperate alignments. One for when you do the spacer lift, and one for after you do the control arms.

I would either replace your one tire and save for the correct lift, or just do it all now.

KCTHUNDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Some guys pop during install, some pop in a few hundred, some like mine have gone a year and no issues....

OP
OP
O

OkieBrah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no magic number for when/if they will fail. Your biggest waste of money will come from paying for 2 seperate alignments. One for when you do the spacer lift, and one for after you do the control arms.

I would either replace your one tire and save for the correct lift, or just do it all now.

Ah good call. Alright thanks fellas.

GreenMonster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Will this happen to all 4G Rams? I have 2012 Ram 1500 and would really love to level it but I dont want to be driving and have the ball joint pop

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are scaring me... I'm scheduled to get Bilsteins installed at 2.1" on Wednesday (on my 2013)... With stock everything else.

Do I REALLY need to drop $400+ to get new UCA's to avoid my ball joints popping out?

KCTHUNDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
When was your build date on your truck. I think you can look in the door jam
I also heard it was LATE 13-14. Mine is November 2012 and its a 13....

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to check the date, but I bought it in June... So definitely not late '13

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
I have two 2014's done with rancho loaded quick lift no issue with either truck