Average Install Cost for 5100s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered some Bilstein 5100s on Amazon since they were marked down from $110 to $99 per. I was wondering what I should expect to pay for the installation of these shocks since I don't have the tools to do the install myself.

Also, if any of y'all in the North Texas/Dallas area have any recommendations for which shops to look out for, that'd be helpful. Thanks!

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say 150 would be about right.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid a premium. $750. Included the 4 shocks, install and alignment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BeetleJuice

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
It should be a hour each side, so it's whatever the shops labor fee is. Anywhere from $80-$140 per hour.

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An experienced shop should only take about an hour per side ($100 x2), since the work is much like a strut change out, plus an alignment ($100-$130), so probably less than $400 with tax (I'm using Jersey prices of course). It took a buddy and I about 3 hours to do the front, plus shocks in the rear, on my 2016.

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paid 360 for bils off of jet.com, 140 for complete install and 100 for alignment so right at 600 for everything

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I had all four corners done and leveled the front, alignment also. Paid $780.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's something to think about......

For the price of paying someone, you can buy all the tools and do it yourself. And you'll probably be saving money too. Plus you'll feel good about doing it yourself and have the tools to keep!!

The install is not hard, but it does take some time if you've never done it before. I was able to do one of the front shocks in less than 45mins. From removing the first lug nut to putting the last one on. And all by myself too.

If you have any questions about the install or wanna know anything, I can message you my number and you can give me a call. I'd be happy to walk you through the steps.

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's something to think about......

For the price of paying someone, you can buy all the tools and do it yourself. And you'll probably be saving money too. Plus you'll feel good about doing it yourself and have the tools to keep!!

The install is not hard, but it does take some time if you've never done it before. I was able to do one of the front shocks in less than 45mins. From removing the first lug nut to putting the last one on. And all by myself too.

If you have any questions about the install or wanna know anything, I can message you my number and you can give me a call. I'd be happy to walk you through the steps.

Second this.

I borrowed a buddy's 33 gal. compressor, impact wrench and sockets, torque wrench, then borrowed a spring compressor kit from autozone. Bought a set of offset wrenches and a 4lb. hammer from harbor freight.

Started at 8:30 am and was done by 3:00 pm with both front and rear. Took my time and took several breaks throughout, including lunch and was by myself as well.

I really hate relying on mechanics. I figure, if there's a way I can do it myself, I will.

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next time, ping 4wheelparts, they usually have good prices locally for the bilsteins.

I keep thinking about the prospect of having someone install them for me, but in my experience, you'll do a better job, understand more about your truck, and feel accomplished afterwards. You'll save yourself some money too.

I've always found that most of these "professional" shops will do what they can to get the job done as quickly as possible, overcharge you, and in the end not care about your truck as much as you do.

Get a jack, some stands, a good set of wrenches, and a torque wrench. Borrow the rest. You'll be glad you did.

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And most install shops will get this washer placement wrong as well. Do some research, there are two really good YouTube videos (this being one of them). Buy the tools and you come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the video above, what is the new height difference with the truck?

Say for instance I put a 2" lift on the front/rear of the truck and I measured the roof from the ground before and after the lift, will the roof measure 2" higher than without the lift?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Coop427

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know your resource or your mechanical aptitude but you can rent the spring compressors for free from most auto places or pay $28 for your own on Amazon. The rest is hand tools, WD-40 and elbow grease. And a torque wrench. I just put a 4" lift on and advice on here & google helped a lot. My big thing was I wanted to know what it did Tommy truck so if I ever felt a weird vibration or heard a weird clunk, I'd know what it was and was sure where to find it as opposed to some guy trying to finish before his break time or something. I learned so much about my truck and know better what guys on here are talking about. Just do some YouTube research and you'll know how to do it. The toughest part for me was breaking the upper ball joint loose and getting the top nut off the stock shock. You can do it, we can help!

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have average mechanical aptitude and access to all the tools but I have so many others things that take priority. Some people like myself would rather someone else do it.

Besides that I am someone who can turn an afternoon project into a week long project pretty easily[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

adubree86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are you planning to lift the truck too? If so I'd wait to install them with the lift. I just picked up 2 adjustables from amazon for $96 each. I'm going to have a 6" lift installed. Just got quoted $2,350 for a 6" zone with 5" rear coils installed and aligned. I asked them about installing the bilsteins if I brought them in and they said they would do it for an extra $100 since they would already have the struts out while doing the lift and just needed to disassemble and reassemble each one. Plus you save the money of a second alignment. So all in all I'll have a 6" zone lift with 5" rear coils and adjustable bilsteins all installed and aligned at the same time for $2,642. In my opinion that is a hell of a deal.

If I did them seperate of one another I'd pay $2,350 for the lift and alignment and then another $545 for the bilsteins, install and alignment. So by not doing them together I'd spend a total of $2,895.00. Waiting to install to save $250 is worth it to me.

jhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a place in McKinney call 4x4works. I had my fox coilovers installed there, they installed, adjusted to level and aligned. I think they did a great job, ask for Trent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye