AWD Lift Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TJRam

TJRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
No no no
Auto 4wd is not AWD. Auto 4WD can simply detect slippage in rear and allow the front to be engaged. It does not transfer from slipping wheel to the gripping wheel like AWD. Subaru is famous because they used to offer exclusively 50/50 split AWD in all models. I think they have gone to some other combos now like 60/40 too but could be wrong. An AWD system is amazing on ice and reasonable depth snow. 4WD with limited slip or even better a locker will be better for crawling and really tough going but not likely as good on ice. Auto 4WD is pretty bad for slippery conditions because there is delay before it engages and depending on your gear setup (mine is 4.56) the wheels are already broke loose and causing fish tailing before it even kicks in. Might be okay with lesser gears since tires cannot break loose as easy but then again might be worse. Not sure but auto sucks compared to AWD I have had in Durango and Journey for that matter.

Yes yes yes
Most AWD systems in many crossovers work the same as the Ram 4WD auto, except backwards. They run in front wheel drive then transfer power to the rear as slippage occurs. There is many different AWD systems that operate different ways.

I get what you're saying that it is not as advanced as some of the other AWD systems that put power to the tire that needs it and that the Ram 4wd Auto just throws the power out to the wheel with the least resistance in the front...but that is an even worse setup. Not exactly something that should sell anyone on the 4wd Auto.

I mean I guess if you want to call it Auto 4wd instead of AWD, be my guest. But in the interest of brevity I'm calling it AWD, and apparently the aftermarket agrees with that sentiment.

e. lmao, I'm arguing semantics on a message board

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They are not the same at all the wheels driven can't be chosen by the system like AWD you are confusing the bias of the system with how it actually works. Bias is the only thing they might share. As in the rear senses slip and allows it to power the front it can't however in anyway decide which wheel gets the power only that one of the front or one of the back will get the powers. At best you might get the two in the rear but not fully without a locker. They are not the same and if you go drive both you will see what I mean. The unfortunate part is I believe AWD can't handle the riggers of a truck so it is not in our trucks or any I have seen especially larger than 1500. With new AWD you are referring to some bias to the front to save fuel that is true but when they engage they are able to apply power to the gripping wheel rather than just spinning the wheel without traction like a truck.

OP
OP
TJRam

TJRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
They are not the same at all the wheels driven can't be chosen by the system like AWD you are confusing the bias of the system with how it actually works. Bias is the only thing they might share. As in the rear senses slip and allows it to power the front it can't however in anyway decide which wheel gets the power only that one of the front or one of the back will get the powers. At best you might get the two in the rear but not fully without a locker. They are not the same and if you go drive both you will see what I mean. The unfortunate part is I believe AWD can't handle the riggers of a truck so it is not in our trucks or any I have seen especially larger than 1500. With new AWD you are referring to some bias to the front to save fuel that is true but when they engage they are able to apply power to the gripping wheel rather than just spinning the wheel without traction like a truck.

Yes I understand that is how it works. I'm just saying it's like an AWD, but performs in an inferior fashion. Also, the lift kit manufacturers call it an AWD along with many dealers. It's basically a very low tech AWD system. You aren't willing to call it AWD for whatever reason, but that's your choice. But you can't deny that manufacturers of lift kits and dealers alike are calling them AWD/4wd Rams. I can and have posted proof. Either way we're just arguing semantics.

You just argued your incorrect point with a moderator.

Bye!

Grow up. We can have different opinions or have a debate without punching our computer screens.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes I understand that is how it works. I'm just saying it's like an AWD, but performs in an inferior fashion. Also, the lift kit manufacturers call it an AWD along with many dealers. It's basically a very low tech AWD system. You aren't willing to call it AWD for whatever reason, but that's your choice. But you can't deny that manufacturers of lift kits and dealers alike are calling them AWD/4wd Rams. I can and have posted proof. Either way we're just arguing semantics.

Grow up. We can have different opinions or have a debate without punching our computer screens.

I can only attempt to help you. I don't know it all. I have learned a lot over the years. The first step is keeping an open mind. You can call it AWD you will be wrong so will they. I don't see why you are so stuck on it but this is not opinion this is facts. You can call hammer a screwdriver but simply won't change the fact it is not a screwdriver. I will tell you I wish it was AWD. I will tell you I thought they were the same when I bought my Ram... then I tried it and quickly knew I was wrong it SUCKS compared to AWD. I won't respond again in this thread just trying to help you out.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm still waiting for you to show me an AWD Ram or an AWD full size truck for that matter.

:insane:

Also, there are a lot of informative articles that talk about the difference between AWD and 4WD.

to be fair, there was a awd dodge ram 1500 back in either 2005 or 2006. it was short lived though. as far as awd and 4wd auto being the same thing, you are correct they are not.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe it was actually 2004 but I'm not sure. That's why I was asking him to show me a 4th gen in one of my posts.

He thinks to know so much about these trucks yet doesn't know the difference between AWD and 4x4.

Yeah I found this! 2004 they made them. 3152b177f6fa4141bb86224dbb0584ce.jpg

OP
OP
TJRam

TJRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Either way it doesn't matter. I'm going for the BW4445.

I got one down to $30k for a tradesman quad cab, 5.7l, 8 speed, vinyl seats, vinyl floors, spray in bed liner, hitch, trailer brake, chrome pkg, 3.92, trailer tow mirrors and protection group. I want the limited slip, but I can always throw that in later. Might go pick it up tomorrow if they can finish the deal the way I want. Anyone see an issue with this price? Is there maybe more wiggle room? I bought an 04 F150 Fx4 package extended cab with all the options back in 04 for $28k, so this doesn't seem too bad 13 years later.

Pretty excited to get this. It'll be my first Ram. Sort of hesitant because of all the complaints online about Fiat Chrysler, but the 5.7l hemi and 8 speed auto seem pretty solid, and chevy/ford are too expensive for whatever reason.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Lol some of the newer Denali 1500s are AWD. Hope I don't ruffle your feathers too much there scuba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Lol some of the newer Denali 1500s are AWD. Hope I don't ruffle your feathers too much there scuba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol!!!!

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Keep it on topic without the nasty bickering.
Here I'll give you an example.
I have not been able to find that info could you provide a source so I can read it as well.

Yes of course here is where I found it.
LinktoinfoandbeingniceonRamforum.com

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So much bad info on here.

They used to make a AWD Ram, they stopped. NO a 4x4 in auto is NOT the same thing as an AWD Ram. The reason the lifts weren't recommended for the AWD is because the front was ALWAYS engaged in the AWD (even on the pavement) and it would wear your front end out in no time. This has NOTHING to do with your 4x4 with an auto button, not the same thing, not even remotely close.