BDS Lift vs ZONE lift kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I installed the Zone 4" lift with bilstein 5100's set at 1.5 with the 3" coils in the rear and was happy with how it sat and drove, but 17,000 miles later the c clip on the front 5100 let go and the coil lost all tension and was just loose. The coil actually hit my cv and knocked the boot off. I now added the fox 2.5 coilovers for the 6" kit and let them down to about 5.5" which got rid of the strut spacer and added the zone UCA's and am much happier. When the kit was originally installed there was a slight popping noise at full lock and the coilovers and UCA's completely solved that issue and the ride quality is exceptional. I still have the 5100's on the rear tho and will be replacing them soon with fox 2.0's.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I think the stiff ride from the BDS kit has a lot to do with the rear Fox shocks. They are extremely stiff, so I think I'm going to be getting rid of mine. I havent decided on which shock to replace it with yet, but the Fox rear shocks will be coming off. They are almost impossible to compress by hand while on the truck which is overkill for how I use the truck.

Which fox 2.0's did you get for the rear? and if your replacing them I live in the Houston area if you go to sell them let me know

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the Zone 4" lift with bilstein 5100's set at 1.5 with the 3" coils in the rear and was happy with how it sat and drove, but 17,000 miles later the c clip on the front 5100 let go and the coil lost all tension and was just loose. The coil actually hit my cv and knocked the boot off. I now added the fox 2.5 coilovers for the 6" kit and let them down to about 5.5" which got rid of the strut spacer and added the zone UCA's and am much happier. When the kit was originally installed there was a slight popping noise at full lock and the coilovers and UCA's completely solved that issue and the ride quality is exceptional. I still have the 5100's on the rear tho and will be replacing them soon with fox 2.0's.
So you had the preload strut spacer installed PLUS the bilsteins installed @ + 1.5" at the same time ?

How thick was the preload spacer ?

This must have been a terrible stiff ride ?

Thanks for a response Sir ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yeah it had the 4" spacer from the zone lift, plus 1.5 out of the bilsteins. It actually road better and smoother than factory by far. But I still would recommend those fox coilovers, or you can order custom icon coilovers and I was told to look at which ones you want and the custom aspect will add about $100 per strut. Would've been like 13-1400 for icon customs for their best ones I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah it had the 4" spacer from the zone lift, plus 1.5 out of the bilsteins. It actually road better and smoother than factory by far. But I still would recommend those fox coilovers, or you can order custom icon coilovers and I was told to look at which ones you want and the custom aspect will add about $100 per strut. Would've been like 13-1400 for icon customs for their best ones I think

Does this Zone kit drop the front differential?
Seems like a 4" preload spacer + bils @ +1.5 " would end up with a steep CV Shaft angle ... it's been my understanding if bils are installed the preload spacer would be omitted during the install ?
Am I thinking about this wrong ?

Thanks again for a response

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cannot comment on Bilstein installation but the BDS/Zone 4" kit does drop the front differential .

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this Zone kit drop the front differential?
Seems like a 4" preload spacer + bils @ +1.5 " would end up with a steep CV Shaft angle ... it's been my understanding if bils are installed the preload spacer would be omitted during the install ?
Am I thinking about this wrong ?

Thanks again for a response

I assume he means the spacer that goes on top of the strut

Last edited:

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yes, sorry I was half asleep and did not read that correctly. It was a 4" spacer between the strut and tower.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
i know nobody has posted in this for awhile but hoping this will get some responses. I too am looking to do a 6in lift on a 17 ram 1500 and trying to decide which brand to go with. so far best prices have been:

superlift 6" with bilsteins all around for $1630
Zone 6"/5" with fox adventure shocks in rear and bilsteins upfront for $1765
BDS 6"/5" with fox 2.0 rears and bilsteins upfront for $2,085

I was trying to find something under $1500 because i only plan on having this truck for 2-3 years but also want a quality ride so i can enjoy the truck while i do have it. any thoughts on which route would be best to go?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bite the bullet and grab the zone.

DrkRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 crew cab Night Edition
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the Zone 4 inch lift with 3 inch coils in the rear along with the Fox performance shock upgrade the kit comes with. Also have the bil's up front to level it. Rides much better than stock and would recommend Zone to anyone!!
Also I believe BDS AND ZONE ARE OWNED BY FOX as in FOX SHOCKS.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
so are you going to be an "outside" truck now since that lift puts you higher than your clearance?

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Ya it hasn't been parked in the garage since I've got it. Lol park my challenger in there debating on making the door bigger tho