Beating the dead horse...question about bil 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys, any idea if they have to adjust my computer for my gears since I'll be putting bils on at 2.1 and running 275/65/20 basically 34" tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your truck will be moving at a speed a littler higher than what is displayed on the speedometer. Otherwise you shouldn't have any other issues.

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck will be moving at a speed a littler higher than what is displayed on the speedometer. Otherwise you shouldn't have any other issues.

So I shouldn't have an issue. It will only be a couple mph off. 70 really doing 68

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically. If you have a GPS, you can use that to see how much of a difference there is after the switch.

But, just so you're clear... adding Bilstein's won't change anything on your speed. It will be your tire size that will change your speed reading.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I shouldn't have an issue. It will only be a couple mph off. 70 really doing 68

The other way, displaying 68 but moving at 70.

There are a couple different free speedometer apps for your iPhone that work well.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Each higher lift setting on the on the Bil 5100 will increase spring preload. So there will be an increase in suspension stiffness with each lift setting.

This nice article by Bilstein explains far better than I can:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf
Great info...I didn't realize they had a lifetime replacement warranty. I was gonna wait until my stick shocks were wearing out but now I'm thinking why wait.

All four corners may get done sooner rather than later...and it's your fault

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another question this may be a dumb one but will my miles of my truck be off a little by running a bigger tire. I'm just curious. I can't see it being off. I know my mpg will drop a little. Anyway I can get the mph run accurate? Do I have to by the tuner?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another question this may be a dumb one but will my miles of my truck be off a little by running a bigger tire. I'm just curious. I can't see it being off. I know my mpg will drop a little. Anyway I can get the mph run accurate? Do I have to by the tuner?

Yes, the miles - odometer and speedometer - will both be off.

Take an existing tire from your truck. Put a chalk mark on the side of the tire where it meets the pavement. Also mark the pavement in the same spot. Now roll the tire one complete revolution. Put another mark on the pavement in this new spot. Now measure the distance between the two spots on the pavement. When you get your new bigger tires, do this same marking procedure. Whet you will find is, for the new tire, the distance between the two spots on the pavement will be greater. So with each revolution your truck will be covering a greater distance with the new tires. So lets say for example, your new tires cover a 5 percent greater distance. This would mean that for every 100 miles that the odometer shows you traveled, your truck actually traveled 105 miles.

Edit: Take this into consideration when you calculate fuel mileage as well. If you know the percentage of error, you will know to include this into your MPG calculations.

Last edited:

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Take an existing tire from your truck. Put a chalk mark on the side of the tire where it meets the pavement. Also mark the pavement in the same spot. Now roll the tire one complete revolution. Put another mark on the pavement in this new spot. Now measure the distance between the two spots on the pavement. When you get your new bigger tires, do this same marking procedure. Whet you will find is, for the new tire, the distance between the two spots on the pavement will be greater. So with each revolution your truck will be covering a greater distance with the new tires. So lets say for example, your new tires cover a 5 percent greater distance. This would mean that for every 100 miles that the odometer shows you traveled, your truck actually traveled 105 miles.

Edit: Take this into consideration when you calculate fuel mileage as well. If you know the percentage of error, you will know to include this into your MPG calculations.

Thanks for the info but I don't have the stockers anymore. I'm gonna call the place tomorrow to see if they still have my stock struts which I probably won't need anymore but I m pretty sure my stock tires had 6/32 so I may grab them and keep them in them in the basement incase I have an issue with these new ones.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So bigger tires, over time, can save you around $100 trade in value because it shows less than actual amount. [emoji23]

My speedo is off by exactly 3mph
Gas decreased around 2.5mpg
The cheapest speedo recalibration tool ive seen is around $200 "I believe". My garmin gps was only $120. I'm good.

Edit: if you will not lift higher than bils allow. I would stay with 33x12.50. They make your truck "look" taller, not stuffed. 35s are more appropriate for a 4" lift (same gap as 33s with level). In my case, it will be 35s and 6" lift lol. But I don't mind wheel gap at all! I like it. Would I rather have 37s? Of course!! But not with 3:21 gears.
Obviously it's your decision, just my .02

Last edited:

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Never even thought of this. Great little write up there, CherryRed! It won't go to waste, that's for sure!

Adam

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So bigger tires, over time, can save you around $100 trade in value because it shows less than actual amount. [emoji23]

My speedo is off by exactly 3mph
Gas decreased around 2.5mpg
The cheapest speedo recalibration tool ive seen is around $200 "I believe". My garmin gps was only $120. I'm good.

Edit: if you will not lift higher than bils allow. I would stay with 33x12.50. They make your truck "look" taller, not stuffed. 35s are more appropriate for a 4" lift (same gap as 33s with level). In my case, it will be 35s and 6" lift lol. But I don't mind wheel gap at all! I like it. Would I rather have 37s? Of course!! But not with 3:21 gears.
Obviously it's your decision, just my .02

Rolling 275/65/20. Basically 34" and there's still a gap. Doesn't look stuffed

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Guys, any idea if they have to adjust my computer for my gears since I'll be putting bils on at 2.1 and running 275/65/20 basically 34" tires?

you will not HAVE to adjust yoru computer for the larger tire size, to get an accurate speedometer reading but you can, if you wish. A tuner or dealership can do it for you.