Before & after pics.....rear spring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Holy crap that's a lot of miles in no time. How are you driving that much?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say very good. They should have been rebuilt long before that.

I thought the same thing, except I have perfect tire wear. I will end up with around 108,000 miles on the Cooper AT3 LT tires. I am purchasing a set of 2017 take offs with 318 miles on them. 600 bucks for rims and tires. Gonna miss the bigger tire, but I can't pass the deal up. I have a slightly bent rim and it will be good to have it gone. Ordered new upper ball joints and a set of 2.0's from Zone today. The upper ball joints are still tight, but I'm not gonna tear it apart and not replace them.
Gonna get the old set rebuilt and have them ready to swap back in sometime in 18.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap that's a lot of miles in no time. How are you driving that much?

Even crazier is I bought it with 9000 miles in June of 13.

I protect 250 miles of long haul tier 1 fiber optic. I travel over them, locating it and providing protection from construction and other dangers. It is a easy job, but one screw up and I will be a OTR truck driver again.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the same thing, except I have perfect tire wear. I will end up with around 108,000 miles on the Cooper AT3 LT tires. I am purchasing a set of 2017 take offs with 318 miles on them. 600 bucks for rims and tires. Gonna miss the bigger tire, but I can't pass the deal up. I have a slightly bent rim and it will be good to have it gone. Ordered new upper ball joints and a set of 2.0's from Zone today. The upper ball joints are still tight, but I'm not gonna tear it apart and not replace them.
Gonna get the old set rebuilt and have them ready to swap back in sometime in 18.

I don't think tire wear is what tells you the shocks need to be rebuilt. I think its miles & time of use. I believe the rebuild evolves a complete tear down and inspection. Clean up of the shaft, replace the seals and oil. That's also the perfect time to have Fox do any custom valving for you. I think its only an extra $35

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cupping is usually a sign of poor shock performance/inflation issues and uneven wear side to side is alignment/steering. This was what my dad told me. If true or not, It is the guidelines I have always gone with. Basically what I was saying is if I had a suspension issue, it would show up in the tire wear.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cupping is usually a sign of poor shock performance/inflation issues and uneven wear side to side is alignment/steering. This was what my dad told me. If true or not, It is the guidelines I have always gone with. Basically what I was saying is if I had a suspension issue, it would show up in the tire wear.

Maybe on a $30 Monroe shock. But I don't think that would be the case on a quality coilover shock. I don't see how pitting marks on the shaft, old oil, seals that are in danger of failing, will show in the tire wear. Coilover shocks such as Fox, Icon, King, Radflo, etc are rebuilt based off age, miles off use, and the environment they're used in. Not based off tire wear.