Bent front control arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So yesterday I was driving and hit a tree stump at about 20mph on the passenger side...didn't quite see it sticking out and ended up hitting it.

Looked under the truck and the point of impact is on the passenger side.

I'm not sure whats needs to be fixed but something does as I have to over correct on the steering wheel now for the truck to go straight. It's not really in driving right now either it feels like. I didn't see any spilling liquids but did notice some dripping of some kind of oil, not sure what it is though.

Going to take it in today for an estimate but do you guys think I bent a control arm and/or my axle?

can't figure out why the pics post upside down...

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
better pics...

IMG_1238_zpsaf8dzrfv.jpg

image%2001_zps0kkiywfe.jpg

IMG_1237_zpse81rnmxx.jpg

IMG_1239_zpsgm9slalj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
how can I delete this thread? reposted it in the lifted forums...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can't delete it but I can. Rather, let me move this one as you have all the pics on it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now about the pics...

Are you hosting them on a web based photo repository, like PhotoBucket, or are you attaching them from your HD? Or are they coming from your phone?

Fixed 'em in any event.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow. If you didn't bend the cross member, it may just need an alignment

So I'm guessing that black thing is the cross member...which is apparently attached to the frame, which now needs to go onto a frame machine to pull it back out...well, thats what I was told....:flame::flame:

can anyone confirm that this looks like the issue? Is that what that piece of metal running across is called?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now about the pics...

Are you hosting them on a web based photo repository, like PhotoBucket, or are you attaching them from your HD? Or are they coming from your phone?

Fixed 'em in any event.

nope...they were right from my laptop....first time thats happened to me on these forums...

OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So how would they fix that? I'm guessing that's not a bolt on piece....and what kind of $$ should I expect? I'm thinking about $3-4k unfortunatley...baaaahhh!

Last edited:

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before pulling the plug on anything, take it to either a body shop or a tire shop, and get there verdict. It could be something simple as an alignment

OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just was at the body shop....met with adjuster there(going through insurance), put it on a lift and looked at it...it needs a new frame...power steering, a control arm...*banging my head on the wall right now*

saselker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your front crossmember is mangled pretty badly. An alignment will not fix that, that requires a frame machine to fix to ensure attachment points are correct. The lower control arm may be damaged also even tho it didnt appear to take a direct impact. The distance between the inner pivots may be wrong. I would not suggest trying to straighten it, being aluminum, cracking is likely.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sucks, let us know how it goes and how much it cost ,or would cost

OP
OP
K

k1ng87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
they're going to replace the entire frame as you can't get just the crossmember. Also replace the cross member and the some power steering componenets as the power steering motor was cracked as well. All in all, about $6k to fix and and about 3 weeks.