Bils or 2.5 spacer level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FISH ON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already bought 2.5 spacers but many people say don't do it and others on here say they have had no problems and rides like stock. I plan on doing this in the next week and I want to do it right. Very conflicting experiences here.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what you are looking for with your post. Same people are going to say the same thing. I usually am not a follower, but when so many people are problem free with Bils, that's what I bought. No reason to go against the grain.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The posts you have read are correct. Spacers lift your truck by moving your spring and shock assembly away from the factory mount. As I am sure you have read in all of the posts this is not the preferred method to lift or level your truck. To each his own but IMHO Bilsteins are with out a doupt a better option. I have had them on all for corners with the fronts set at 2.1 for over a year. The truck sits perfect for my taste and the ride is awsome. Sell the spacers and get the Bilstein you won't regret it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a set of bilsteins in the for sale section ....

OP
OP
F

FISH ON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Feel like an idiot

So I agree with all the advice to go with bilsteins. I looked at the web site and saw what they called an adjustable shock. It looked like a strut and the description said you put you stock spring onto it and adjust it by rotating it to different notches. Sounded like and looked like my quad strut. The ones for sale look like normal shocks. The ones I saw on the website were 5100's also. I am mechanically inclined so how do the normal shock looking ones work that are for sale here?

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You are correct. The fourth Generation Ram 4x4's use coilover shocks. Like you said, similar to the coilover shocks on the front and rear of a quad.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I agree with all the advice to go with bilsteins. I looked at the web site and saw what they called an adjustable shock. It looked like a strut and the description said you put you stock spring onto it and adjust it by rotating it to different notches. Sounded like and looked like my quad strut. The ones for sale look like normal shocks. The ones I saw on the website were 5100's also. I am mechanically inclined so how do the normal shock looking ones work that are for sale here?

Not sure exactlt what your refering to.The ones for sale from Thos29 are the 5100 adjustable shocks. All of the Bilstein shocks have the picture of a regular shock on the box. I don't think he posted any pics of the shocks out of the box. The 5100 is actualy silver. Those are the correct shocks that use your spring and seat that have the adjustable collar. Shoot him a PM for a pic of the actual shock.

OP
OP
F

FISH ON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thx

I will do that. Thanks for clearing that up.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do NOT care what anyone says,bills suck big time.I put them on my 13 & it took a decent riding truck & turned it into a buck wagon,why because the way they're engineered.The more you lift the more the spring gets compressed & the less give it has therefore the firmer the ride.Total junk.
Do yourself a favor & get a maxtrac 2.5" level,it's significantly more expensive then the others but is engineered better.

Last edited:

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
one ******* cant install Bils and everyone else is wrong. too funny. ban the troll...
the only guys that have complained about Bils are the ones that installed them wrong...

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bils are great. They improved the ride quality greatly. Since I was doing the Bils I went ahead and changed the upper control arm as well. Its all preference but as you can see from your question you have an overwhelming majority that love the Bils and one that does not.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do NOT care what anyone says,bills suck big time.I put them on my 13 & it took a decent riding truck & turned it into a buck wagon,why because the way they're engineered.The more you lift the more the spring gets compressed & the less give it has therefore the firmer the ride.Total junk.
Do yourself a favor & get a maxtrac 2.5" level,it's significantly more expensive then the others but is engineered better.

I have a friend that has 5100's on his truck. Installed by 4wheelparts here in Southern California. He says the are OK. He won't tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread like you here on this forum. A lot of people swear by the bils. No prob. I have nothing bad to say about them because I am not running them.

I like the idea of the maxtrac 2.5. I looked into them long before reading your post. I second your opinion.

:) but they, whatever makes one happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I put the bilsteins on my 9 year old truck and it made a big difference in the ride. My dads a parts manager at our local mopar dealership and he was so impressed with the improvement in the ride he now recommends the bilsteins over the oem struts and shocks.

silber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the bil all the way around and I have the front set the highest level due to installing a winch in the near future. The ride is great and I would not change anything about my install.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup 5100 are the way to go, spacers aren't worth the time but will do the job and the expense of your ball joints.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
one ******* cant install Bils and everyone else is wrong. too funny. ban the troll...
the only guys that have complained about Bils are the ones that installed them wrong...

If your referring to me kid you would be very wrong.I actually had the dealer install them as to not use it against me warranty wise & just like everyone else @ the time i went for them because of all the bilstien leg humpers said it rides like stock & bilstien hung the moon & stars so you can't go wrong,well BS they SUCK & you can just go ahead & keep nibbling their knob for all i care dude it's your $ & your truck.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yup 5100 are the way to go, spacers aren't worth the time but will do the job and the expense of your ball joints.

Maxtracs will not screw up your ball joints,but if a person is worried about it, the ball joints cost $40ea & would be easy to chg out @ this time for cheap added peace of mind right?