Bil's 5100 and rattle/noise/rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... I just had the Bil's installed and set at 2.1 on 35" ridge grapplers. A couple things I've noticed since...

1.) The front measures 39 7/8" vs the back 39 3/8".
a.) Shouldn't the back still be a bit higher than the front at 2.1?
1.) Haven't measured all 4 corners but I'll do that today.

2.) They ride harder, or more firm than stock which is fine but there is also a rattle/noise/bumping sensation when I hit small bumps in the road at any given speed. Something feels loose but I wasn't able to find anything when I crawled underneath to check. I'm no mechanic and have no experience with this type of install, fyi. I had a shot install.

There was a post on a ram facebook group about the same situation on a members truck and he mentioned the CV axle shaft going bad or possibly the new angle since the level causing this type of issue.

Any insight?

Last edited:

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all likelihood they put the top nut washer in the wrong spot. It doesn't go with the nut against what most would do (myself included). I installed myself and didn't think twice about it and experienced what you are describing. Took it all down, moved the washer to the correct location, and the noise totally went away and now rides fantastic

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all likelihood they put the top nut washer in the wrong spot. It doesn't go with the nut against what most would do (myself included). I installed myself and didn't think twice about it and experienced what you are describing. Took it all down, moved the washer to the correct location, and the noise totally went away and now rides fantastic

Sent via telepathy

Um... do you have a picture or another way to describe this so I can check it out?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3cfc747f6895cca0d73147bae0ffb8b7.jpg

The washer goes under the upper spring hat/perch (I believe that's what it's called, someone correct me if I'm wrong please). So the spring hat is sandwiched between the supplied washer and the nut. Normal convention would lead most to believe the washer is paired with the nut, but not in this case. An incorrectly placed washer is a more-than-common occurrence and leads to the issues you mentioned.

Also, make sure they torque the top strut nut while it's off the truck and not with a compressed spring. This would make it difficult (if on the truck still) and could lead to over torquing.

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this, I'm going to call the shop and ask but most likely I'll be taking it back in.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I could give a direction to start! Keep us updated man, good luck!

Sent via telepathy

Can't get it into the shop until monday. He didn't say one way or the other how he assembled the shock but said he's installed several the same way and never had a problem. He's good at what he does though and I'm not worried that he wont make it right.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup we almost put the washer with the nut too until I remembered that soemone else here had warned against it.
With the washer on the top I think the strut rod would be sliding in and out of the strut towers.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Does sound Ike the washer is in the wrong location. It also sounds like they set it to 2.8 not 2.1

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does sound Ike the washer is in the wrong location. It also sounds like they set it to 2.8 not 2.1

After looking at the shock I think you're right. There are 3 visible rings/grooves on the shock so it's set on the highest groove.

I remeasured... 39 7/8 on both front corners and the rear driver side. Rear passenger measures 39 3/8? I'm on level concrete and only a set of golf clubs in the back end.

Something just isn't adding up. I had a buddy who has his front leveled, I believe it was the rancho level and his rear measures 41". He said he didn't do anything to his rear end, same tires.

Last edited:

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After looking at the shock I think you're right. There are 3 visible rings/grooves on the shock so it's set on the highest groove.

I remeasured... 39 7/8 on all 4 corners. Would that make sense if it's set at 2.8?

Something just isn't adding up. I had a buddy who has his front leveled, I believe it was the rancho level and his rear measures 41". He said he didn't do anything to his rear end as for as raising.

There should actually be 4 grooves.
One stock, 1.4, 2.1, and 2.8. The circlip that sits in the groove (whichever one is being used) is covered by the spring seat adapter and 3 others would be visible.

Still could be at 2.8 for sure, but I have mine set at 2.1 and almost dead even so I installed a rear 1" spacer so I dont go nose high when hauling or towing. Does your buddy have the same truck and tires? 41" seems awfully high for having not touched the rear at all

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One stock, 1.4, 2.1, and 2.8. The circlip that sits in the groove (whichever one is being used) is covered by the spring seat adapter and 3 others would be visible.

Still could be at 2.8 for sure, but I have mine set at 2.1 and almost dead even so I installed a rear 1" spacer so I dont go nose high when hauling or towing. Does your buddy have the same truck and tires? 41" seems awfully high for having not touched the rear at all
Yeah, same truck, same tires. After seeing his set up I decided to pull the trigger but went with the Bil's vs rancho.

Yep, it's sitting on the top groove so they're are 3 visible below it. So it's set at 2.8.

I'm certain once I put any weight in the bed I'll be nose high big time. I'll have my guy lower to 2.1 but clearly there was a miscommunication when I picked it up.

Last edited:

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, same truck, same tires. After seeing his set up I decided to pull the trigger but went with the Bil's vs rancho.

Yep, it's sitting on the top groove so they're are 3 visible below it. So it's set at 2.8.

Well now you have an easy reason to bring it back and have them redo it! Nothing wrong with 2.8 but some members have reported issues with the UCA etc. and wasnt worth the headache for me. I also have Maxcare and they said nothing above 2.5 otherwise I void the service contract, so there wasnt much thinking to be had on my end.
And i guess just give them a friendly reminder about the supplied washer and torquing the top nut properly as that can also cause rattle issues (..... dont ask me how I know :Pshyco:)

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic for reference.
cb6a2faedf9b3094c7f5b54eb6848390.jpg
I talked him on the phone and mentioned the nut/washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic for reference.
cb6a2faedf9b3094c7f5b54eb6848390.jpg

That's a nice looking truck man! But definitely at 2.8.
Here is mine with the 2.1 and 1" THC in the rear.

Still keep us updated on what the shop says!

780324afc4b78873162b37c9cfb3ac1f.jpg

Sent via telepathy

carnage521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think you missed one. I am almost certain there are 5 notches. Stock, 0.7 (trx model height), 1.4, 2.1 and 2.8.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep 5 notches :
Bottom = stock
2nd = +.07"
3rd = +1.4"
4th = + 2.1"
5th = + 2.8"

Post a picture of your bils please .
Maybe the top nut is in contact with the nut instead of @ the base of the threads against the pistons flange ?
The washer goes there due to the outside diameter is slightly smaller ...the washers diameter is to prevent damage to the lower side of the spring hat mentioned in step # 6 of the Bilsteins instructions sheet posted above by Dan 1911.

If your bils ring is in fact set @ +2.1" then I'd say the shop installed the OEM spring seat UPSIDE DOWN ... the proper & improper installation is also displayed on the Bils install sheet posted above .

Unfortunately this has been done many times , and explains the added hight and especially the " ROUGH RIDE "
Check out the this picture below.

329d536435077aec5420b9e284e6ce47.jpg

This is a link to my bilstien 5100 install , I've included a few tid bits and helpful tips .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1206420

Hope this Helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
0b8c7d81f26171421ba522ab706d5544.jpg

Well , your spring seat is correct and you are set @ +2.1" .

Washer may be in the wrong location and the top nut likely isn't torqued properly ?
This usually causes the a rough or a bump in the ride .

How much rake did you have prior to the bils install ?
Some trucks have less than others ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk