Bil's 5100 and rattle/noise/rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well , your spring seat is correct and you are set @ +2.1" .

Washer may be in the wrong location and the top nut likely isn't torqued properly ?
This usually causes the a rough or a bump in the ride .

How much rake did you have prior to the bils install ?
Some trucks have less than others ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was totally stock prior to the bil's install, I never measured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine had about 3" of rake stock , I've seen some trucks with 2" and less.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine had about 3" of rake stock , I've seen some trucks with 2" and less.

I'd be alright with the stance as long as the bump, rattle noise is taken care of. I'll find out Monday.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoops!!! Been a long Monday, was totally wrong about the grooves. Thanks for the correction fellas. [emoji482]

Sent via telepathy

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The washer could be installed properly .

The top nut for the strut may just be loose , this has also been an issue with some guys , as the top nut is difficult to torque to specs without the proper tools .

Since a shop did the work , if the top nut isn't tqed per the bils installation instructions then I'd also have the assy disassembled and verify the washer placement as well .

Subscribed for your results .

Good luck Sir ! Off to bed for me .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be alright with the stance as long as the bump, rattle noise is taken care of. I'll find out Monday.

If you want it to be level , you could install a 3/4" spacer above the rear coils .
My rear coil spring spacer install is linked above within my bilsteins 5100 install link .
It's a simple install so long as you have the tools & only takes about an hour to do by yourself.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I just did mine this weekend at 2.8 with a .75 rear spacer and my heights are 39.375" at the front and 40.25" in the rear. I had almost 3" of rake from the factory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update...

I just got a call from my shop and the tech said that he took it for a test drive and he thinks my lower ball joints need to be replaced, he says that is the rattle I am hearing. It's not, I know the ball joint rattle and it was there before I had my bils installed. This is a new rattle that you can hear and feel. He said the larger tires will amplify this sound and that he assembled the bils correctly. It's my opinion that he doesn't want to disassemble the bils to find out if they are correct, or not.

So now my next move? Have him replace the ball joints so they wont rattle but I'll still have the bump/rattle every time I hit a bump in the road?

Not happy...

Also he quoted me $415 to replace the lower ball joints on both sides. Sound about right? I know they need it done so I'll probably have him do it but that won't fix this issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever had work done on their truck, notice something is wrong, take it back to the shop who did the original work and when you pick up your truck the problem is fixed and the shop tells you they didn't do anything?

Because that is what happened to me with the shop that installed my bil's. My own theory is that the shop realized the washer was installed incorrectly on the shock, fixed it but didn't want to admit they made a mistake to keep their reputation...

Whatever did or did not happen my truck is driving much smoother and the rattle/bump is gone.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the lower balljoint replaced?

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get the lower balljoint replaced?

No I am ordering rear spacers but they're not in yet, I'll get everything done all at once.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on your truck to already need ball joints? Any play in the wheel in order to know the ball joints in fact need to be changed?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$415 is a bit steep , even if it includes parts , labor & a fronted alignment.
Alignment may not be necessary , but not a bad idea after any front suspension work.

Me personally , I'd go to a different shop , but if your invested in this particular shop .

Maybe a good tactic is to have this shop replace the lower ball joints , then let them hear the bils install ...maybe then they will fix the bilsteins install?

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles are on your truck to already need ball joints? Any play in the wheel in order to know the ball joints in fact need to be changed?

90,*** and they do need to be replaced.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$415 is a bit steep , even if it includes parts , labor & a fronted alignment.
Alignment may not be necessary , but not a bad idea after any front suspension work.

Me personally , I'd go to a different shop , but if your invested in this particular shop .

Maybe a good tactic is to have this shop replace the lower ball joints , then let them hear the bils install ...maybe then they will fix the bilsteins install?

I have nothing invested in this shop. He did my rear brakes and spark plugs prior to the tires and bil's but have no other connection.

I think the bil's are fixed... because if it drove the way it has since picking it up monday night I never would have taken it back in the first place.

I do have a family friend that works at a different shop. He's a gear head from way back and trust his word over any other but his shop is about an hour from my house although he's told me I could meet him half way and trade vehicles in the past. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but I would feel more comfortable have him work on my truck.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So yesterday I noticed a squeak and found this. I'm beyond pissed after the shop swore up and down everything was installed correctly.
Is this even safe to drive? What damage have I already caused and what could I do if I drive this? I don't even want to take it back to the same shop but he's got to make this right. I tried to hand tighten that nut just so it won't work it's way off and the it won't move but the shaft does.
e09ca9638e0b89d357d9e9fa002a6ad1.jpgb74b810926675007defac4083f920adc.jpg

Last edited:

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So yesterday I noticed a squeak and found this. I'm beyond pissed after the shop swore up and down everything was installed correctly.
Is this even safe to drive? What damage have I already caused and what could I do if I drive this? I don't even want to take it back to the same shop but he's got to make this right.
e09ca9638e0b89d357d9e9fa002a6ad1.jpgb74b810926675007defac4083f920adc.jpg

Holy ****....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
omg.......is it like that on both sides?

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just the passenger, pic above is driver and passenger.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh ok, how long of a drive is it to this shop?....might need a tow because that means the shock has breached thru the top strut mount center hole and the top will need to be replaced. If you can find a small mirror and try and angle it so you can see down in the top hole of the one that's not pushed thru to verify if washer is on top (I bet it is) then that side will bust thru soon too. I would make them replace both tops, maybe even ask for new struts as well.

Last edited: